What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
Frnc

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by Frnc »

Did a 3.5 hour bike ride with my mate. He knows I prep, but we've never discussed it. Keeps me fit, practice bugout/scavenging/foraging routes, and tests the bike. Even in a bug-in, it would be my only transport if there was no public transport. My phone went from 82% to 26%, all Komoot, so I need to think about taking my smaller powerbank. Went to Lymm village and dam, which is nice. Much of it was off road, on the Trans Pennine Trail. The section out to Lymm is a path where there was once a railway line. Was using voice nav with bluetooth earphone.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Just like Medusa,our kitchen needs sorting. It was my project this year. Anyhow,drawn up a plan,and it’ll get sorted in ‘sections’. This morning some re wiring to sort. Main one is the plumbing,but not an issue as I am handy with that . Everything a stage at a time.Illness or not,I need stuff to do!

The other job ( in between) is re setting our outdoor storage building. We have used our food storage this last four months from there. Well ,we used that in the pantry and rotated the outdoors in,if you understand? :D The indoor pantry holds plenty for two of us,and it means there is proper rotation. The outdoor will hold emergency batteries,lighting ,cookers etc. Does anyway,but easier for my wife to access.

Got to have stuff to do! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

We just had to get out of the house, and we were so close to completing it, so today, I present to you....

The cloche with attitude.....

Made from two plywood pallets and four big pieces of perspex and a few pallet strips. it cost us less than a fiver, all in.*

It's a super-size cold frame for my 'marters. 1.2m high, 1.6m wide and 600mm deep it's almost a greenhouse. :P

I admit it's a bit badly designed for ease of construction. So it's probably going to be a bit awkward to work in and harvest from, but I'm nonetheless chuffed. Mr JJ used lots of pre-owned nails, bless him.

No floor to it, so I can decide later whether to use containers, or sow direct into the ground. I might foil line the back face to get more sun capture. Why don't other's do that? Is it a fire hazard or leaf scorch thing?

In other news, I've sowed a few more tomatoes after three seedlings died and I'm chitting some shop bought spuds, rather unintentionally.

* a couple of hinges and a box of screws. Perspex and wood was wombled.
* I still have three metres of perspex left. I'm thinking a gaffer taped cloche.
IMG_20230409_164634.jpg
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

It *is* almost a greenhouse, Jenny, congratulations :)
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Nice one
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:30 pm It *is* almost a greenhouse, Jenny, congratulations :)
Nurseandy wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:42 pmNice one
I'll take the credit/blame for the design and for wombling the parts. I'll even take the credit for helping to dismantling it in the back garden and helping to reassemble it at the plot. But Mr JJ did all the cutting and initial construction.
The wood is all untreated, the plywood already flaking. It's a sort of prototype and 'speriment in frugal wombling.
Time will tell how long it lasts. If it survives to yield a basket of 'marters it will be deemed a success and will get reworked.
The decision now is whether to foil on the inside wooden face to reflect the sun, or paint it black so it warms the air?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

I don't know but suspect that foil would make it too hot inside and wither your tomatoes.
jansman

Post by jansman »

In a months time your plants will need air. Tomatoes can be too hot. Mind you,your little greenhouse there will do the job for all sorts. Lovely. :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Nice Job Jenny
jansman

Post by jansman »

Got the outdoor storage sorted yesterday. Boy ,did I sling some rubbish! It’s very easy to store cr*p. :( our food ( tinned,dry,etc.) is now entirely stored in the pantry. We are fortunate in that we had the gumption not to do away with it as a kitchen extension like our neighbours all those years ago. Modern kitchen units are absolute trash! And the pantry stores a lot of stuff to actually walk into. Everything is in date,and dear wife can keep her eye on it now as it is simplified. Everything is being simplified to make life easier for her when I ( eventually ;)) deteriorate. Doing it now,not when too late. :D That’ll be Prepping.

The outdoor storage now has ( spread out properly) ,emergency cooking,batteries,water and purification equipment,lighting,portable solar panels,battery and power packs,spare lightbulbs,fuses etc. Also two freezers. When the kitchen is changed I am taking out an area to install a fridge/ freezer for ease. It’s just us two. Unlike when the kids were here,we don’t need industrial amounts of grub! The small chest freezer outside will stay for emergencies :lol: and the under- counter fridge in kitchen will replace the knackered front loading freezer outside. Just for backup in case of breakdown. It has happened before.

Nice to have projects. :D

Robert Frost.

Me.