Allotment: Woo Hoooo!!! :) :) :)

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jennyjj01

Re: Allotment: Woo Hoooo!!! :) :) :)

Post by jennyjj01 »

GillyBee wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:12 pm It sounds as if the plot has white rot if there are warnings about onions and garlic. Leeks will also be affected. There is no official treatment for this. Some people have had good success by treating the soil with garlic powder from the local asian supermarket every month or two from spring to autumn for a couple of years and then trying onions again.
Thanks,
To be honest, I really cannot afford to sprinkle garlic powder on the soil.

I'm super paranoid that I might waste a lot of effort and seed money on problems like Blight, White rot, Grazon. And these are only the obstacles I've heard of.

I'm planning on growing a backup crop of everything in pots, buckets and planters, out of the unknown soil. I'll be using my garden planters as well, because I know that compost is clean. The allotment can be for the courgettes, beet, chard etc.

And, of course, I'll interrogate my neighbours to check out the lie of the land.

Jansman: That egyptian tree onion... Is it a triffid?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:42 pm
GillyBee wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:12 pm It sounds as if the plot has white rot if there are warnings about onions and garlic. Leeks will also be affected. There is no official treatment for this. Some people have had good success by treating the soil with garlic powder from the local asian supermarket every month or two from spring to autumn for a couple of years and then trying onions again.
Thanks,
To be honest, I really cannot afford to sprinkle garlic powder on the soil.

I'm super paranoid that I might waste a lot of effort and seed money on problems like Blight, White rot, Grazon. And these are only the obstacles I've heard of.

I'm planning on growing a backup crop of everything in pots, buckets and planters, out of the unknown soil. I'll be using my garden planters as well, because I know that compost is clean. The allotment can be for the courgettes, beet, chard etc.

And, of course, I'll interrogate my neighbours to check out the lie of the land.

Jansman: That egyptian tree onion... Is it a triffid?
EGYPTIAN ONIONS: https://www.otterfarm.co.uk/product/egy ... ing-onion/

And this boy: https://www.egyptianwalkingonion.com/

Perennial,no work,no aggro, brilliant! It’s onion. :D

CABBAGE: I have Taunton Deane ,but there are other similar. Take a simple cutting,get a big plant. :D

In any garden or allotment set - up ,perennials make sense. Absolutely minimum work.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:40 am EGYPTIAN ONIONS: https://www.otterfarm.co.uk/product/egy ... ing-onion/

And this boy: https://www.egyptianwalkingonion.com/

Perennial,no work,no aggro, brilliant! It’s onion. :D

CABBAGE: I have Taunton Deane ,but there are other similar. Take a simple cutting,get a big plant. :D

In any garden or allotment set - up ,perennials make sense. Absolutely minimum work.
I take on trust that they taste and cook like onions. Will definitely give them a go.

Cabbage and other greens we rarely eat. Probably should.

Need seeds for tea, coffee, wine and beer.... There's a thought. Nettles, Chicory, Grapes, Malt and Hops :D
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

You won't be popular if you grow nettles on purpose :lol:

I'd like to try the perenniel Kale but not sure I have room for a big plant and the prics for one cutting are crazy. A fiver for one unrooted cutting. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... cat=181003
Jansman: You may have a new income sideline here if you have a well established plant.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

GillyBee wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:45 pm You won't be popular if you grow nettles on purpose :lol:

I'd like to try the perenniel Kale but not sure I have room for a big plant and the prics for one cutting are crazy. A fiver for one unrooted cutting. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... cat=181003
Jansman: You may have a new income sideline here if you have a well established plant.
It was already there. I thought it was a herb. :)
The prices for seeds are quite steep. Big increases on last year. How are we ever supposed to have this game cost in? I'll be trying to retain seeds when I get them, and I'll be game to go halves with allotment neighbours etc, but for example, £3.99 for 10 of those tree onion bulblets or £9 for a litre. One can BUY a lot of big onions for £9 with far less worry.

jansman

Post by jansman »

The Egyptian onions I got 10 bulbs to start. Grew them once and now a hundred. The onion is green shot - lovely. Tiny bulbs on top,which you can eat,but let them fall,they set and go again. Underneath is a medium bulb you can use too,but that sees that plant off,although you have the bulbs to knock them on! No work! :D

Same with cabbage. No seed sowing. Just planted 3 cuttings I got for 6.50 and they ,errr…grew! Next year I’ll take a couple of cuttings and move ‘em on. No work. Tonight,some of that cabbage is in our spicy lamb and squash stew. That’ll be the squash I grow each year from saved seeds. Oh yes

I don’t buy seed anymore on the whole. NB. Just been and checked. The tomato wasn’t saved,as Mrs J wants the little baby ones,so I’ll get the cheapest Wilko sell! :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:38 pm The Egyptian onions I got 10 bulbs to start. Grew them once and now a hundred. The onion is green shot - lovely. Tiny bulbs on top,which you can eat,but let them fall,they set and go again. Underneath is a medium bulb you can use too,but that sees that plant off,although you have the bulbs to knock them on! No work! :D

Same with cabbage. No seed sowing. Just planted 3 cuttings I got for 6.50 and they ,errr…grew! Next year I’ll take a couple of cuttings and move ‘em on. No work. Tonight,some of that cabbage is in our spicy lamb and squash stew. That’ll be the squash I grow each year from saved seeds. Oh yes

I don’t buy seed anymore on the whole. NB. Just been and checked. The tomato wasn’t saved,as Mrs J wants the little baby ones,so I’ll get the cheapest Wilko sell! :lol:
On the Egyption bulbs, i'm torn between paying £4 for or £9 for a litre. Probably the litre. (Tight as a ducks :))

Cabbage is probably off the menu, but I like the idea of a cutting.

Tomatoes are tricky. Blight put me off last year and the blight resistant ones were F1 Hybrids which are no good for seed saving... But the cuttings idea might work.

Sadly there's no greenhouse. I hope to get some sort of cloche and poly tunnel. Will probably improvise some 5l water bottle starter cloches.

jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:25 pm
jansman wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:38 pm The Egyptian onions I got 10 bulbs to start. Grew them once and now a hundred. The onion is green shot - lovely. Tiny bulbs on top,which you can eat,but let them fall,they set and go again. Underneath is a medium bulb you can use too,but that sees that plant off,although you have the bulbs to knock them on! No work! :D

On the Egyption bulbs, i'm torn between paying £4 for or £9 for a litre. Probably the litre. (Tight as a ducks :))

Tomatoes are tricky. Blight put me off last year and the blight resistant ones were F1 Hybrids which are no good for seed saving... But the cuttings idea might work.

Sadly there's no greenhouse. I hope to get some sort of cloche and poly tunnel. Will probably improvise some 5l water bottle starter cloches.
Gotta grow what YOU eat. Nothing else. ;)

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:01 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:25 pm On the Egyption bulbs, i'm torn between paying £4 for or £9 for a litre. Probably the litre. (Tight as a ducks :))

Gotta grow what YOU eat. Nothing else. ;)
I'm still a bit torn on this project. We would not eat a plot's worth of the stuff we might grow.
Can't grow pizza, Spag bol, sweet and sour chicken and boiled rice. Can't grow cows, bacon or lamb chops.
Can grow more beetroot, chard, courgette, parsnips than I know what to do with. Been there, done that.

So it's a bit of a borderline silly project. I admit that. ROI will probably be negative.
Diet WILL be adapted. If I/we grow more greens we will eat more greens. We might try to barter more. Be more neighbourly and social.
It's a 'speriment and mini adventure.