What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:49 pm
Arzosah wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:20 pm Trying to think logically here ... yes, re-using isn't about the need for nutrition for the seeds and seedlings ... I think its more like what they might pick up over the course of waiting to be re-used: viruses, bacteria, insect eggs, mould spores etc. The texture of dust might not be great to seed things in anyway. But its up to you, you're a famous experimenter, go for it!
👍
I'm busy googling the topic. But the more I read about compost (and soil) the more perplexed I get. It IS rocket science to me.
Why can't soil just be soil :) ? Either good fertile soil that we can grow things in, or rubbish nutrient poor soil that we can add stuff to to make it into good soil... to grow things in? How did our forefathers manage with just soil and the odd bag of poo. None of this namby pamby five quid a bag stuff from the garden centre. :D I'm sure Dad used to grow stuff in the back garden and he never bought a bag of compost in his life. Did they even have garden centres in the 70s? :D
Roll on harvesting my home brewed compost.
Back in the day I used to get half a wheel barrow of home made compost ( sieved) 1/4 sand,1/4 of my sandy top so soil. Handful of fish bone and blood. Mix it,sieve it. Boom! Seed compost. Then I got lazy and bought it in.

It’s only a bag of worm sh*t. Don’t make hard work out of it. Life is too short. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:02 am It’s only a bag of worm sh*t. Don’t make hard work out of it. Life is too short. ;)
That's the one! :D
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Trees we took down at the weekend have now been processed for firewood and son is stacking it as I type.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:21 pm The cloche with attitude.....
It's a super-size cold frame for my 'marters. 1.2m high, 1.6m wide and 600mm deep it's almost a greenhouse. :P
OUCH!
Today's moderately? strong winds converted it to 600mm high!. I.e. Blew it over!
I wasn't expecting that. Good job it wasn't made of glass. No damage done except to my pride, but I'm going to have to figure a way of bracing it.... Or using it in it's new format. :oops: :( :o
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

It's been a couple of days doing death related stuff and I'm off work.

Spent today shredding Mum-in-Law's big mound of old paperwork* at her house. Of course, waste not want not, and it's now added to the compost heap as brown waste. I anticipated it blowing about so, I popped to my friendly neighbourhood cafe which I normally collect green waste from twice a week. They'd missed me and had amassed nearly two big bin-bags of green waste which was getting a bit stinky. So that's now taken to the heap and was used to stop the shredded paper blowing away. I tell you. That heap will win Best In Class at the Mayor's Show :)

* It made us realise just what a sorry mess me and/or Mr JJ would leave behind, as we have decades of paper work and a loft and garage full of shite. So we both resolved to start our de-cluttering and get our affairs in order while we are still alive! It's a grim but important prep. :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:12 pm* It made us realise just what a sorry mess me and/or Mr JJ would leave behind, as we have decades of paper work and a loft and garage full of shite. So we both resolved to start our de-cluttering and get our affairs in order while we are still alive! It's a grim but important prep. :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops:
So true :( trying to keep a lid on the clutter is really important. This house is a downsize for me, I just have 3 bookcases (not just books on them, actually). But I used to have 8 **faints**

Own prepping: yep, tidying and decluttering for me as well. Plus repotting the seedlings, bit by bit, and a bit of weeding.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I think that is the concept behind the trend of "Swedish Death Cleaning". Also guilty as charged and in need of a good declutter chez Gillybee so my sons dont hate me in future years.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

GillyBee wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:05 pm I think that is the concept behind the trend of "Swedish Death Cleaning". Also guilty as charged and in need of a good declutter chez Gillybee so my sons dont hate me in future years.
Never heard of that, but here it is...
https://www.thespruce.com/swedish-death ... ng-4801461.
That article grossly underestimates the time it will take ME to do.

Meanwhile.....
I found a pack of Roma 'Marter seeds so sowed some indoors. If all my Toms reach maturity (Big If), then I'm going to need to find them places to finally grow. Buckets? Growing bags? Trugs? Big plastic boxes? Direct into the open ground? My plot has ZERO shelter from the wind and rain, and I don't have enough cold frame for all of them. Moneymaker, Roma, Crimson Crush so far. Peppers never germinated.

Blagged two BIG planks of wood with which to stabilise my cold frame and stop it blowing over again.
Inspected last year's cloche: The polythene cover has rotted and split, so ordered some more.

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Ordered a mppt charge controller plus a bag of mc4 solar plugs/ sockets to do some modifications..

Fuel filter for the car finally arrived so got that to fit

Got the allotment grass sprayed off so a week I'll finish off with the rotorvator
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

GillyBee wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:05 pm I think that is the concept behind the trend of "Swedish Death Cleaning". Also guilty as charged and in need of a good declutter chez Gillybee so my sons dont hate me in future years.
Must be something in the water , we've been doing the same although I prefer to call it "liquidating assets". I had accumulated a fair bit of metal some of which was just for scrap and some because I though it might come in handy . Either was we shifted about two tons but on the positive side there's £1100 in the account now that wasn't there last week...
Next to start on the building materials..