What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well credit card has just had a beating. Got celox gauze on order along with a real CAT tourniquet .... See here why you need to buy from a reputable seller : first story after opening credits:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... -episode-1
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Decluttering and the seasonal wet dust with disinfectant. Quite interesting what I have. Some of the things i have are only part of what I need to get the things done that I want, others were purchased for quite the wrong reasons and others were completely useless. So, I have had to be relatively ruthless with my chucking out. Have keep things associated with warmth and light as that is my primary concern (plus medical and dental).
What with the Harvest festival at church tomorrow I have had the pleasure of taking two whopping great sacks (containing a total of 17 tins of potatoes and 2 tins of beans) to the church to be given away at the harvest festival and more to be got rid of of is hitting the pile. Just stuff with 12 months of life left in them and more room to get more stuff in stock in case of lack of money for whatever reason life can throw at me, bad weather and illness.
All of this process has lead me to think about what it is I really need and what I should be prioritising on. Also who I am and how I want to live. A very informative exercise.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

aldhelm wrote:Does the belly count as prepping though? by my reckoning you'll take longer to starve. I know I could out last lots of people :lol:

Thats my plan for if things go really really wrong. Find a really good hiding place and out wait all the fitness freaks that weigh 5 stone wet through. :tinfoil
Mmm, not sure i want to find out if my lil belly is classed as a prep. :lol:

Good call on the 5 stone freaks though, i do wonder sometimes how long these people who are ripped could last if the food supply went down.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Does averting the deaths of 4 children count?

Had been discussing the emergency numbers list with the mrs last week as I wrote it anyhow driving through the outskirts of a village on the way home from a romantic day out in York (was even allowed into millets and yeomans :D )

Mrs andy spotted 4 young teenagers playing IN the river on the mud flats of the tidal Ouse right next to the very deep shipping channel (near openening span of the road bridge we was driving over ,)

I was driving so she without hesitation dialed 101 and got patched through to the 999 side as they decided life was at imminent risk and well the news article we found tonight says it all

http://m.hulldailymail.co.uk/warning-as ... story.html

PS like how the public house worker makes out that she saw them take shoes and socks off etc they had been in the water about 10 mins between the start of our call and them arriving at the location (she was on the phone the whole time )

SooBee

Post by SooBee »

What matters is that those children were brought out of the river. So well done to all concerned. Far too many folks just drive past.
Wales1

Post by Wales1 »

Picked up a bargain off a buy/sell site a 800W 2stoke generator of £30

http://cz100940718.fm.alibaba.com/produ ... rator.html

its a generic type and i'm not expecting great things from it but for those of us prepping on a budget ...cant be bad
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Wales1 wrote:Picked up a bargain off a buy/sell site a 800W 2stoke generator of £30

http://cz100940718.fm.alibaba.com/produ ... rator.html

its a generic type and i'm not expecting great things from it but for those of us prepping on a budget ...cant be bad

Beware of the unregulated voltage .. Also don't overload it often the windings let go before the over current trip , trips....

Beat bit is the 8a 12v charger output.....

Also beware the recoil is a right pita to restring ;)

(I have one)

Wales1

Post by Wales1 »

It came up for sale (and after checking the Scumbag Watch sites for reports of broken into vans) I went for it, Possible uses would be running Lighting and charging small devices-phones, radios, e-cigs.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Wales1 wrote:It came up for sale (and after checking the Scumbag Watch sites for reports of broken into vans) I went for it, Possible uses would be running Lighting and charging small devices-phones, radios, e-cigs.

from the unregulated output i wouldnt fancy charging electronics best bet is to use it to charge a caravan battery then use 12v car chargers with the caravan battery...

lighting its ideal for

My cordless drill batteries wouldn't charge from the 240v side of it... :)

ive got it sat there to charge my inverter powerbank set up should the weather be crap and my solar charger doesn't get enough sun light

Wales1

Post by Wales1 »

I have a plugbard with a voltage regualtor built in (its from years ago when laptops required a stable household power suppy) Got to find somwhere to store the thing yet, its got some fuel in it so might have to drain it beofre storing it in my shed (washing machine, freezer and tumble dryer in shed so dont want any sparks)

Been busy in the greenhouse, tomato plants down and some of the more delicate plants moved into it (lemon tree, avacado tree)