What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
GillyBee

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by GillyBee »

Nothing wrong with safety pins if they get you out of a hole.
When I was very small I seem to recall some families where one person did all the knitting and another all the sewing so you just need to find someone to "swap" with.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

GillyBee wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:18 amWhen I was very small I seem to recall some families where one person did all the knitting and another all the sewing so you just need to find someone to "swap" with.
That's great! People do it around DIY and firewood all the time - I haven't heard about it as much with sewing/knitting, apart from actual learning, but if things carry on this way, I bet it'll become more popular.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I actually managed to grow 10 courgette plants of 12, big enough so that they could have their first transplantation - I planted them very late. The 11th is actually just starting to come through. Potting them all on was terrifyiing :lol: I feel like a brain surgeon :lol:
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Arzosah wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:20 pm I actually managed to grow 10 courgette plants of 12, big enough so that they could have their first transplantation - I planted them very late. The 11th is actually just starting to come through. Potting them all on was terrifyiing :lol: I feel like a brain surgeon :lol:
My Colin Courgette is MASSIVE now. Transplanted at 3 inches high from shared tray, it's now nearly 2 feet across and flowers forming. 5/5 survived transplanting. They seem pretty hardy.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:13 pm
Arzosah wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:20 pm I actually managed to grow 10 courgette plants of 12, big enough so that they could have their first transplantation - I planted them very late. The 11th is actually just starting to come through. Potting them all on was terrifyiing :lol: I feel like a brain surgeon :lol:
My Colin Courgette is MASSIVE now. Transplanted at 3 inches high from shared tray, it's now nearly 2 feet across and flowers forming. 5/5 survived transplanting. They seem pretty hardy.
That's good news! I've always heard that, but I've read with you step by step as you've undertaken each action for what sounds like the first time, it's really good hearing it from you :)
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

The main problems with baby courgete plants in my experience are - being too rough getting them out of their small pot and breaking off the stem completely :oops: or planting them out but forgetting to put the slug defences up first and seeing them decimated in the course of one night.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Mu courgettes are showing no sign of life whatsoever. Planted seeds outside about 2 weeks ago. Not sure if they are going to grow.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

I think slugs have eaten my broccoli. So much for the slug wall and netting. Next will try copper strip.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I’ve had 50% of my bean plants ‘snailed’. I have a stash of old style pellets,so I have used a few.YES, I know it’s now illegal,but it’s my sodding land :lol: My stash is for SHTF to be fair. When those plants count,really count ; then I need every tool in the box. Anyhow,I stuck some more seed in,as it’s still not too late.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Mrs J and me have been talking. :? My knees and back are knackered,and because of staff shortages,I’m working far too many hours. The conversation is now about ( semi) retirement. We are now going to start ‘ prepping’ for a downshift. It’ll be a big cultural shift for me, but it’s gonna happen in the medium term.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.