What are you prepping for?

How are you preparing
teatowls

Re: What are you prepping for?

Post by teatowls »

As insane as it sounds...the final goal is for a zombie outbreak. My reasoning being if you're able to survive that then coping with a 3 day blackout or a food shortage is going to be easy plus it covers most things including bugging out and in, food, water, medical, hygiene, etc all for a long term event.

Realistically speaking though I'm prepping for;
- Winter Blackouts/ utility cuts (Number one right now)
- Economic collapse
- Oil shortage (lack of goods in shops, etc)
- Food shortage
- Epidemic/ localised infection
Ghost Prepper

Post by Ghost Prepper »

Similar to most on here, its nit just one thing im prepping for:

The realistic ones:
1. Fuel running out ( no goods in shops )
2. Food shortages
3. Sociatal Breakdown
4. Economic collapse

The 'Mad' Ones : :tinfoil
1. A solar flare / EMP
2. An earthqake ( not too mad i suppose... )
3. Government Lockdown/Takeover
4. All electricity just Shutting Down.
5. Nuclear fallout.
AREA 13 CO-ORDINATOR

Best Prepping Advice : TELL NO BODY :)
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

all I'm gonna do is the best I can. I can spend my time looking at the news and then trying to work out whats gonna happen, or i can just do the best I can. I have limits in terms of resources, so its just a question of doing the best. When I thought that war was a must I thought that I had to prepare for war, but what did that mean? Tidying up my collection of tesco value potato tins?
In practice, I think we are all limited in some respects. Time, energy and money. I'm still gonna carry on working on my fitness for a while though as that is just something that i have slacked on through my life.
maybe "prepping" is just about personal efficiency and doing the best that I can.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
vassili

Post by vassili »

We prep for no particular scenario, we just know it's stupid not too, it really frustrates the hell out of me to see people living day to day refusing to believe that anything could change their comfortable existence.We have had it so easy the last twenty or thirty years, what with the hand out society etc people believe there will always be someone there to bail them out.
Anyway, we try to make sure that most of the conceivable possibilitys are covered for but without it taking over our every thought, which I have been guilty of in the past.
V.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

vassili wrote: Anyway, we try to make sure that most of the conceivable possibilitys are covered for but without it taking over our every thought, which I have been guilty of in the past.
V.
i been guilty of that before too :)
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
jansman

Post by jansman »

This year I lost my job. The preps came in handy, I can tell you!
Tonight, my Daughter and fella came round. He has been laid off. (The gvt reckon it is all getting better? My arse!) Daughter was fretting. We went 'shopping ' in the 'bunker'-our main storage area. We sorted a load of tins and packets. She also goes down to the polytunnels I have for fresh produce. Of course, there are plenty of eggs, and I am slaughtering a goat at the weekend. So , meat for the freezer.
This kind of situation is what I prepare for. If something bigger happens, then my household is streets in front.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
junmist

Post by junmist »

that interesting jansman I always thought it was illegal to slaughter an animal at home I know you can do chickens and rabbits at home but not anything bigger.
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

junmist wrote:that interesting jansman I always thought it was illegal to slaughter an animal at home I know you can do chickens and rabbits at home but not anything bigger.
I'm sure jansman will come back with a more concise answer but my understanding is that is the meat is for your own consumption and the killing is carried out humanely then you can do it.

This is about sheep taken from http://www.countrysmallholding.com
The law

I covered this in some detail in January ’06, but I’ll give a very brief summary here of some of the aspects of legislation specific to the home slaughter and consumption of sheep:

The animal must be killed humanely, in accordance with The Welfare of Animals (Slaughter and Killing) Regulations 1995.

Animals must be stunned before slaughter.

The following methods are all legally acceptable for the home slaughter of sheep:

Captive bolt pistol

Captive bolt pistols are no longer subject to firearms legislation, so are readily available. A captive bolt pistol is a stunning device – immediately following stunning it is necessary to sever all the major blood vessels in the neck with a sharp knife, in order to ensure that death occurs as quickly as possible.

Humane Killer, 0.32 calibre free bullet

A humane killer can be used to kill sheep of all ages, outright, although bleeding should still be carried out immediately. Generally, a humane killer should only be used by a vet, knackerman, or some other suitably qualified person. There is a very real risk of ricochet should an inaccurately placed bullet happen to pass through the animal, hence the need for proper training in the use of this device.

Shotgun

This is the safest and most practical method for use on the smallholding. Death is instantaneous, therefore both stunning and slaughter are carried out in one simple action. Bleeding should be carried out immediately.

0.22 rifle or revolver

Only to be used as a last resort, when no other method of humane destruction is available, for example in the case of casualty livestock, in order to prevent further suffering.

No person shall slaughter any sheep by a religious method, or cause or permit any sheep to be so slaughtered, other than in a licensed slaughterhouse.

All slaughter waste not intended for human consumption or classified as specified risk material (SRM) must be disposed of in accordance with the Animal By-Products Regulations 2005. This would include hooves, horns, skins and blood.

No part of any home-killed sheep can be sold, bartered, swapped or given away to any third party (including friends, relatives, etc).

No-one other than the person who actually carried out the act of slaughter may consume any part of any home killed sheep, unless the Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy (TSE) Regulations 2002 relating to the removal and disposal of Specified Risk Material (SRM) have been correctly adhered to, in which case it could be shared with family members living in the same household.
jansman

Post by jansman »

junmist wrote:that interesting jansman I always thought it was illegal to slaughter an animal at home I know you can do chickens and rabbits at home but not anything bigger.
I am using it for my own consumption. Of course, I am also a butcher of 30 years+ and also a locenced slaughterman.

Of course you are right about the legal situation under normal circumstances.

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

That should read licenced slaughterman-really should check my spelling! :lol:

Anyhow, nobody worry, everything is totally legal.

Robert Frost.

Me.