What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by jansman »

If she’s fluffing up her feathers, that’s broody. Standard procedure is to isolate her, or make sure she cannot get into a nest box during the daytime, as broodiness can ‘spread’ amongst your flock.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Today I bought 10kg of pasta from Aldi it was 20p for 500g but now it's 23p still amazing value.
To be honest I didn't think I would see it again with everything going on but it's their .

Stock up while you can.
Fill er up jacko...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:48 pm If she’s fluffing up her feathers, that’s broody. Standard procedure is to isolate her, or make sure she cannot get into a nest box during the daytime, as broodiness can ‘spread’ amongst your flock.
Removed the eggs she's back to her normal self again in the coup tonight, had another the other week twice daily soaking of the under body in cool water soon cured that one
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:34 pm
ForgeCorvus wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:48 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:54 pm Managed to get my hands on a 12v TV it's a few years old that's the last piece of my keep in touch with the outside world kit plus If the power goes off maintains some normality for the kids :lol: mainly for the caravan above ...

Got another snugpak XL jungle blanket kids find the wool blankets too itchy .... Made a rod for my own back as I got it out when little man was still up.. he has claimed it as his and proudly run off to bed with it ... Now big sister is jealous as she thinks I bought it for him :lol: so currently sat on the sofa with a paw patrol blanket keeping me warm :lol:
LTBALFY....... Hide anything you want to keep

It's funny He loves camping at 5yo he understands torches and tells his 11yo sister off for wasting batteries .. we had a little panic on a few weeks ago when we lost power at my mum's .. whilst we had a BBQ he didn't like the amount of alarms going off. ... But he has his own torch on his shelf at home with and selection of coloured filters 8-) and unlike his sister he still has them all and batteries in it that work ... He's got the prepper mentality already he wanted to see if bear liked the blanket duvet thrown on the floor :mrgreen:

If it gets really cold the big jungle blanket thrown over the kids duvet will keep them warm me and mum will have the big wool blanket just trying to get on top of the cold weather preps. BEFORE we need them if it gets really bad we each have a decent sleeping bag each too

Next job (over summer) is to add thermal blackout blinds in the living room / master bedroom .. kids room already have blinds and curtains to trap as much heat as possible and should the manure hit the fan blinds plus curtains will cut down any light escaping
Last year my wife bought 2 15 tog single duvets and sewed them together for our 6 your old. Easily fit into the single cover.Very toasty
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Nothing too exciting this weekend but Lidl visit :roll: :oops: saw me picking up 2 high output usb car chargers.. every power bank I get I try to kit it with its own mini kit... A Mains charger, 12v charger, micro usb and USB c cable attached to the hanging / "keyring" loop little sun glasses draw sting bags are the ideal size for the little "kit".. that way should the shtf which ever gets grabbed it goes along with cables for charging / recharging wherever possible be it straight into a usb outlet on a bus / train / hotel or into a Mains socket or car "cig lighter" ideally I try to get twin output chargers so you can charge phone + power bank at the same time not to be this time but meh £2.99

Also picked up some fishing float glow sicks tiny glow sticks ideal for marking stuff in the dark use them often when fishing cables under floors tape the glow stick to the cable / draw wire you can see it under floors ) dark voids

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Stonecarver wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:20 pm [quote="Yorkshire Andy" post_id=214052
Last year my wife bought 2 15 tog single duvets and sewed them together for our 6 your old. Easily fit into the single cover.Very toasty
If only My little man would stay under the duvet :lol: I know in 10 minutes when I go up he will be on top of his duvet like he has been every night for the past couple of years :lol: at this time of year I dont disturb him but just put a blanket or 2 over him... Over last winter he came to me and mum just before dawn cold.. to steal daddy's warm

GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:32 pm
If only My little man would stay under the duvet :lol: I know in 10 minutes when I go up he will be on top of his duvet like he has been every night for the past couple of years :lol: at this time of year I dont disturb him but just put a blanket or 2 over him... Over last winter he came to me and mum just before dawn cold.. to steal daddy's warm
Could he manage a onsie on top of his jammies or would that lead to accidents? That was how I dealt with a similar problem when my 2 were tiny - but they were still in nappies so I didn't need them able to cope with bathroom breaks.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GillyBee wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:07 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:32 pm
Could he manage a onsie on top of his jammies or would that lead to accidents? That was how I dealt with a similar problem when my 2 were tiny - but they were still in nappies so I didn't need them able to cope with bathroom breaks.

He has fluffy fleece jammies if it's cold ;)

Ara

Post by Ara »

Would he sleep in a sleeping bag? My younger brother slept in one for a few years from the age of about 3. Mum thought it a great idea as he could make his own bed (she never was one for housework) although he did need help putting the liner back in on laundry days.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

WooHoo.....

My Mains inverter just arrived. Unsure what it's power rating is, probably 1500W continuous. Certainly at least 800W continuous, it's a big heavy brick of a beast.

So. Experiments for later to try to measure it's power rating, and to see how long my blagged Car battery can run it for under load. This will be the first true test of that battery.

Mission continues to buy or blag more car batteries and looking out for at least a couple of ~200W solar panels. Panels come in all shapes and sizes, and I'd hope to find two or three that match. Have set gumtree and ebay alerts.

My existing Solar charging station has now been simplified and dedicated to the task of charging AA cells and USB devices. I've learned lots and i'm glad I started small.

This is coming together, and so far VERY cheaply. ......

[Edit Footnote] Quickest of tests. Inverter works, but when load reaches 150W, the battery voltage falls below 10V and it all shuts down. Battery is just not up to the job, as expected.
Last edited by jennyjj01 on Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong