What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Frnc wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:32 am Expiry dates is a bit of a drag to keep track of. I have various spread sheets. The trouble with first aid kits is finding replacements. You can't just buy two 2" dressings, you have to buy 5 or 10. Managed to find some good prices in the end. Five 4" dressings for £2.18. Only wanted three but the others can go in my home first aid kit.

You can buy complete replacement kits for some ready make kits, but weirdly these contain things like scissors, which obviously never expire. Such a waste.

I've put all my Imodium, Dioralyte, Senna and Clinel wipes onto a list rather than spread sheet. When things are approaching expiry I move the item sideways a bit so it's easy to see. Listed under location and colour coded by product.

I just use the basic Apple apps - Notes and Numbers (spreadsheet)
For loose first aid supplies check out savers / superdrug / boots home bargains or a independent pharmacy....

As for dressings a pack of small and large myolin pads and a few rolls of vet wrap deal with most bleeding issues depending on how you apply it pulled FT for major bleeds control or just nipped up for less major wounds ...

Links for example: both can be found in home bargains

https://www.spservices.co.uk/item/_Ster ... tvEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adhesive-Banda ... 7738&psc=1

Chuck In some transpore tape

3 items you have a

ghetto trauma bandage
A standard wound dressing
A cut to size sticking plaster
A strain / sprain support
Broken finger / toe strapping & padding kit

And the only bit that goes out of date are the wound pads
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

pseudonym wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:50 pm What's the difference between an out of date wound dressing and a teatowel/tshirt?
Exactly P! Our first aid kit is full of dressings. Out of date? Probably. But they are sealed and CLEAN! Most important. Our first aid training last time concentrated a lot on adapting to your situation,so if you had no FAK,did you have a clean towel? And so forth. Knowledge and skill is far superior than actual equipment in fact.
Recently I tripped in the workshop,and ironically smashed my head on the safety guard of the bench grinder! :lol: Because of my medication ,I bleed easily. I grabbed an ambulance dressing out of my fishing jacket on the back of the door. It was in its original plastic packaging,and its been in my jacket for years! It was clean and sterile and it soaked up my blood. My wife wiped around it with a sealed antiseptic wipe and then steri stripped it. I suspect it was a two- stitch job ,had we fancied a 12 hour visit to A+E . I spend enough time in hospital!
It healed nicely in 3 days.

Our kit is kept in a cantilever fishing box ( new and clean) with a great big ‘First Aid’ label on it,and stored on the cool brick floor in the dark pantry. Literally just inside the door. It works.

In fact I have just gone and replaced that ambulance dressing in my fishing jacket. 2021. Sealed and clean. And in good nick. As I said ( and we are only first aid trained ,not medical) skill is far superior in our opinions. A good kit is ok if you know what to do with it,but training means you can deal without kit! That’s proper survival.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Know we've discussed these before Jansman

https://www.firstaid4less.co.uk/First-A ... jUQAvD_BwE

Great for on the go in saddle bags / fishing boxes robust canvas type packaging keeps it dry and clean

jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:23 am Know we've discussed these before Jansman

https://www.firstaid4less.co.uk/First-A ... jUQAvD_BwE

Great for on the go in saddle bags / fishing boxes robust canvas type packaging keeps it dry and clean
Very useful! And they work. Sadly used a few similar years back in N Ireland. :(

Robert Frost.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:51 am
Frnc wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:32 am Expiry dates is a bit of a drag to keep track of. I have various spread sheets. The trouble with first aid kits is finding replacements. You can't just buy two 2" dressings, you have to buy 5 or 10. Managed to find some good prices in the end. Five 4" dressings for £2.18. Only wanted three but the others can go in my home first aid kit.

You can buy complete replacement kits for some ready make kits, but weirdly these contain things like scissors, which obviously never expire. Such a waste.

I've put all my Imodium, Dioralyte, Senna and Clinel wipes onto a list rather than spread sheet. When things are approaching expiry I move the item sideways a bit so it's easy to see. Listed under location and colour coded by product.

For loose first aid supplies check out savers / superdrug / boots home bargains or a independent pharmacy....

As for dressings a pack of small and large myolin pads and a few rolls of vet wrap deal with most bleeding issues depending on how you apply it pulled FT for major bleeds control or just nipped up for less major wounds ...

3 items you have a

ghetto trauma bandage

Mine are Melolin, is that like Myolin?
I have bandages and tape, and I've got steri-strips in my basket with dressings

Ordered them now anyway
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Frnc wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:09 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:51 am

3 items you have a

ghetto trauma bandage

Mine are Melolin, is that like Myolin?
I have bandages and tape, and I've got steri-strips in my basket with dressings

Ordered them now anyway

My spelling mistake :lol: that's a brand name from Smith and nephew iirc

Another good dressing to stock is jellonet or paraffin impregnated gauze handy if you remove a good chunk of flesh to prevent adhesion during healing

Jelonet is an effective and reliable primary contact layer for wounds that require soothing relief and hydration.

Open wounds
Weeping wounds
Burns and scalds
Road rash and other abrasions
Skift graft recipient and donor sites
Wounds with light to moderate exudate
Lacerations that are extensive or difficult to close
Cracked or dry nipples as a result of breastfeeding

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:12 am Another good dressing to stock is jellonet or paraffin impregnated gauze handy if you remove a good chunk of flesh to prevent adhesion during healing
will get some, ta
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Was on twitter reading up, and this chap starts telling me he moved to northern Scotland, at least 250 miles from any city, bought a croft, to be ahead of the game when food runs out in cities. Now that's prepping! Too late for me to do that. But I will have another go at growing veg next year. My main probem was that nothing grew. Slugs I think. Peas did grow actually. Also I had it all covered in nets to stop cats doing you know what in the soil, but the nets are a massive pain in the rear. They go over a frame that keeps falling apart. The grass keeps growing into the netting. It's a back breaking job just getting in to do anything.
Any suggestions?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:06 pm Was on twitter reading up, and this chap starts telling me he moved to northern Scotland, at least 250 miles from any city, bought a croft, to be ahead of the game when food runs out in cities. Now that's prepping! Too late for me to do that. But I will have another go at growing veg next year. My main probem was that nothing grew. Slugs I think. Peas did grow actually. Also I had it all covered in nets to stop cats doing you know what in the soil, but the nets are a massive pain in the rear. They go over a frame that keeps falling apart. The grass keeps growing into the netting. It's a back breaking job just getting in to do anything.
Any suggestions?
Shoot the cats! :lol: :lol: Seriously,with veg gardens- start small. Rather than single crops in small set ups,constant cropping is easier and more productive anyway. Stuff like salad crops,climbing beans are good and produce a lot over a longer time. In my case I use perennial plants. Onions,cabbages,fruits,Jerusalem artichokes. No work and constant.

Robert Frost.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Frnc wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:06 pm Was on twitter reading up, and this chap starts telling me he moved to northern Scotland, at least 250 miles from any city, bought a croft, to be ahead of the game when food runs out in cities. Now that's prepping! Too late for me to do that. But I will have another go at growing veg next year. My main probem was that nothing grew. Slugs I think. Peas did grow actually. Also I had it all covered in nets to stop cats doing you know what in the soil, but the nets are a massive pain in the rear. They go over a frame that keeps falling apart. The grass keeps growing into the netting. It's a back breaking job just getting in to do anything.
Any suggestions?
I'm now financially secure to do the same thing. My health and need for medical access now prevents such a thing.

Sucks getting old sometimes.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.