wind up lanterns

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
scorpio00x

wind up lanterns

Post by scorpio00x »

with all this talk about blackouts which i believe will happen this year due to power stations being down. I need a wind up lantern for my nan will need to be fairly bright as partially sighted. anyone recommend one? my nan is a prepper even if she and people don't realise i make sure she has 4 weeks worth of food. Also i have secretly hidden 80l of water in the base of her bed.

also looking at http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MOMQU3I/r ... BTDKTLGPBF just because they are cheap. is it any good? BTW that's for me as i have over a 1000 tea lights, other candles and torches so really just a extra that is back up to what i have just in case i run out of batteries and candles
Bad Wombat

Re: wind up lanterns

Post by Bad Wombat »

I've one of these: Vango 36 LED Dynamo Lantern, which seems to do the job, and is mega bright! I got it in a local store for £14 in a sale. I've also got some 9 led rubber torches, which are excellent. Though I think that the poundland 7-led-head-torch is just as good IMO. I'm not a fan of the poundland 9-led-aluminium-torch as I have a few and had reliability problems. Can't really complain for £1 I guess. I also have a about 600 tea light candles and some solar powered garden lights for indoor use as a last resort.
Last edited by Bad Wombat on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lemony

Post by Lemony »

I haven't seen those before :) We have lots of wind up torches (Poundland or eBay I think) but they're not particularly bright or reliable, so it's false economy I think... I didn't think of lanterns though.

I'm reluctant to use candles when my boys are about, not only because of the safely element, but also because they LOVE blowing them out, which is annoying!
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

At £2.99 it's worth a punt! With just 4 LEDs it's not going to light much other than the immediate vicinity though. More like a small night-light - might be enough to stop you bumping into things once your eyes are used to the dark, but not much more. They're intended for use in tents, which are usually quite a bit smaller than your average living room!

As for your Nan, I would suggest a two-pronged approach. Firstly, a goodly bright wind-up lantern (probably something in the region of 36 LEDs like the one Bad Wombat suggests) which will give background lighting (probably the equivalent of a 10-20w bulb) which won't be enough for much if she is partially sighted, but at least will mean she's not in complete blackness. Perhaps two or three dotted around the room if you can afford it. Secondly, a hand-held, bright (again as many LEDs as you can), focusable torch, or a head-torch if she's game to wear it! That will give her the bright, directional light she probably needs to actually see what she's doing and where she's going safely.

Judging from some of the reviews of other LED lanterns I think some people expect them to be like a 100w bulb, brightly lighting an entire room. They're not, they're just ambient light. Oddly they seem very, very bright if you look directly at them, far brighter than say a candle, and the white light is quite harsh. They're bright enough so that you don't bump into things, but not bright enough to do any real work by. For that you need a focused, directional light. Or just pour yourself a whisky, relax and enjoy the ambience...!
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

I have a drawer full of jar candles, tea lights, oil lamp, head torches, bike lights (if desperate!) And can recommend the Energiser Camping Light as it takes either AA or with the adapter supplied D type batteries, it has high, low or candle settings.

Home bargains have a couple of good bright LED lights that have magnets on the back and a foldaway hook.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

scorpio00x wrote: also looking at http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MOMQU3I/r ... BTDKTLGPBF just because they are cheap. is it any good?
Had one of these for a week now, using it when I go down the garden on these dark nights. It works well enough for the price (I haven't timed how long a charge lasts yet). One thing I found is that the switch can be a bit touchy, as if the rubber cover is not letting the button out fully so the contacts aren't quite making properly. Causes a slight flickering of the light so you have to tap the button a little.
My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

I actually bought an addition of three of those self same lanterns from that same seller.
Not knocking them but rather a pat on the back for them here.
There was a problem with Royal Mail and delivery was 4 days over when I went through Amazon to contact the seller.
2 days later the seller has found out RM messed up and has said they have sent me out another three via registered delivery.
I'll let you know what they are like when they finally arrive

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Get her a decent led head torch more direct light where she is looking energiser ones are small and lightweight

If your after one with an easy to use switch petzl do some with a turn knob but they are not so cheap
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine