What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

How are you preparing
sniper 55

Re: What preps are you doing this week? part 2.

Post by sniper 55 »

dangerman wrote:I'm off to Go Outdoors in Wigan this afternoon. I'm going to buy some Groundhog pegs for my crappy little tent - because my wildcamp is happening on Tuesday. And it's forecast some pretty smeggy weather.

Any advice for camping in these kinds of situations? This is surely of interest to anyone with tents in their BOBs.
One problem you might have is the pegs pulling out if the ground is soft/soaking wet, in the past I'm used a big rock or heavy branch (as well as the peg) but you haven't always got one handy. I've also used a sheet of plastic pegged out in front of the tent, it helps stopping the bit of ground in front of the door getting too boggy if your back and fro, although if it's really bad it'll start sinking in.
If the ground is really wet making some sort of platform for you fire might help a bit.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Once I've finished the xmas wrapping, slight red face there for a prepper - I ran out of sellotape!! box full of duck tape, masking, insulating, parcel, metal, plumbing tape but no sellotape :oops: . I plan to make a list of mainly food preps I want to increase stores of as after Xmas & new year can be a good time to get bargains as everyone cuts back on their shopping and eats the ton of food they bought, just in case, which means more reduced to clear in the supermarkets as well as the xmas packaged stuff they sell off.

Got 6 new hens as the fox and pine martins cleared out the last ones when the fence blew down in a storm couple of weeks ago. So with family home hope to get some help building a new run (have repaired the old one but it needs moving anyway). Oh and must get some sellotape.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

dangerman wrote:I'm off to Go Outdoors in Wigan this afternoon. I'm going to buy some Groundhog pegs for my crappy little tent - because my wildcamp is happening on Tuesday. And it's forecast some pretty smeggy weather.

Any advice for camping in these kinds of situations? This is surely of interest to anyone with tents in their BOBs.

Take a dozen decent carrier bags with you fill with soil if needed and tie to guy rope points with peg through the handle if peg pulls out against the weight of the bag your going to blow away ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I'm a fan of having a tarp under the tent, Oh and +1 on what Andy said re plastic bags.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Hi guys been a wee bit since here here goes

New job OMG how the other half lives
Paid travel, time and 1/2 before 8am so If I set off early paid more time and 1/2 after 5 so if I stay longer to finish a job or held up in traffic ... I'm paid extra woop woop

Been paid once for 1st week in November and then on Friday .
For the sum of £55 a month we can use the van with fuel as much as we want . Spouses on insurance for free

Tool allowance
Uniform
Parking card
Credit card

Pension and top up available

Hardly pushed 2 jobs a day if we do more it goes towards a bonus

The negatives
Weight gain due to inactivity , its mainly driving to jobs , and with the forth bridge out of action its drive ,queue ,drive queue .
Hardly broken sweat .
Only have a wee van just now Peugeot Partner is its crammed full of stuff , ment to have a transit sized or similar.

Prepping
Well
More tins
Still haven't got a lpg conversion for the genny
Haylage has lasted well
So has straw
Muckheap growing
Sold a horse so money in bank
Applied for shotgun licence
Haven't went into debt for Christmas
Getting fed up of rain /mud

That's kinda it so hi all , Happy Christmas, if that offends may your God go with you .

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

poppypiesdad wrote:New job OMG how the other half lives
Paid travel, time and 1/2 before 8am so If I set off early paid more time and 1/2 after 5 so if I stay longer to finish a job or held up in traffic ... I'm paid extra woop woop
I've snipped, but this all sounds great! Apart from the weight gain :D

That's kinda it so hi all , Happy Christmas, if that offends may your God go with you .
I really, really hope we don't have anyone on here that's so politically correct that "Happy Christmas" has become offensive :shock: mind you, I like the Dave Allen thing too :mrgreen:

Happy Christmas backatcha :mrgreen:
jansman

Post by jansman »

THAT kind of PC is most certainly a no no! :lol: :lol: anyone gets upset, they know where the door is! :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Hahahaha! Thanks lads, appreciate the vote of confidence with my potential to blow away camping experience. ;) I'll make sure the pegs are in properly before I commit to spending the night. My tent is a proper cheap effort so I'm not going to be doing anything without a back up plan. I want to really put it through it's paces though, see what it's capable of, it blowing away is only part of my potential for disaster. My brother, well he's in an Aldi tent, so that'll be interesting.

I'm not going to be heading out too far from the car, and I'm going to avoid drinking (much) just in case I need to think quick in the night. I'm also preparing for the worst case scenario, which is actually quite likely to happen. Which is heavy wind/gusts and rain. Our tents could leaking is most likely scenario, and should this happen, we'll be retreating to the car and crashing there. But I'll still leave my tent pitched just to see how it fairs.

The car is going to be a miserable place to be. It'll be a seat back job rather than a stretched out bed. Bah! What am I doing this!
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
Deep Thinker

Post by Deep Thinker »

Well I know what I am doing for the next few weeks, Been rummaging in the garage and came accross my old man's tool box and discovered -
Leather punch,
Hack saw
brogue
brass hinges
and an assortment of other goodies ,however best of all really lovely small 3 inch blade lock knife with brass end shoulders.
Sorted and although I never thought about it as a kid my mum and dad always described and encouraged the be prepared for the rainy day.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

dangerman wrote:Hahahaha! Thanks lads, appreciate the vote of confidence with my potential to blow away camping experience. ;) I'll make sure the pegs are in properly before I commit to spending the night. My tent is a proper cheap effort so I'm not going to be doing anything without a back up plan. I want to really put it through it's paces though, see what it's capable of, it blowing away is only part of my potential for disaster. My brother, well he's in an Aldi tent, so that'll be interesting.

I'm not going to be heading out too far from the car, and I'm going to avoid drinking (much) just in case I need to think quick in the night. I'm also preparing for the worst case scenario, which is actually quite likely to happen. Which is heavy wind/gusts and rain. Our tents could leaking is most likely scenario, and should this happen, we'll be retreating to the car and crashing there. But I'll still leave my tent pitched just to see how it fairs.

The car is going to be a miserable place to be. It'll be a seat back job rather than a stretched out bed. Bah! What am I doing this!

You'll probably find the aldi tent survives :lol:

Not done much prepping unless you count modifying the kitchen waste water pipework and cold water pipes for a dishwasher... total cost in parts was no more than £15 good only knows what a plumber would have charged

and saturday i put a new higher more secure fence panel up then applied Plastic spikes to the top of the fence and gate... You wont want to be trying to jump over that in the dark at 3am as what ever enthusiasm you put into it will be awarded with matching searing pain in your hands (its err rather unpleasant) not that the moggies seem bothered by it as they stand on it looking at you expecting their bowl to be filled
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine