Anyone into geocaching?

How are you preparing
1sick93

Anyone into geocaching?

Post by 1sick93 »

Hey people. I'm new on here. I was wondering if anyone is into geocaching?

Until 4 weeks ago I had never heard of it, I was watching a preppers channel on youtube and it seemed like a good way of getting outdoors.

So last week I bought a garmin etrex venture, downloaded a load of geo caching coordinated and seeked them out.

Its an excellent way to get exercise, go for adventures and find places you never knew existed (and would make great bug out locations).

I highly recommend it to all.
Attack Warning Red

Re: Anyone into geocaching?

Post by Attack Warning Red »

I've used a GPS for mountain walking for over 6 years now - although I've never fancied geocaching. But I can see the appeal to some people!
Meyou

Post by Meyou »

I'm not really into it myself, although while in Germany one of my friends got all crazily excited on some services because she found one...

Wouldn't mind taking it up as a mild hobby, but not sure what I'd need.
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

Meyou wrote:I'm not really into it myself, although while in Germany one of my friends got all crazily excited on some services because she found one...

Wouldn't mind taking it up as a mild hobby, but not sure what I'd need.
All you need is a GPS or a map and compass, a flask and some sandwiches to get started.

There are 35,000 cache sites in the UK, some are even in towns and cities.

Great way for learning map-reading and compass work, and the use of a GPS.

http://www.ukgeocachers.co.uk/
1sick93

Post by 1sick93 »

You just need a GPS. I take my get home bag with me for water, flashlight, snacks, goggles(for walking through think brush).
TinfoilHat

Post by TinfoilHat »

I love geocaching!
I have found almost 200 and own about 30.

It is easier in the Autumn as there isn't as much undergrowth to deal with.

I use a combination of my phone and a SatMap GPS.
Lemony

Post by Lemony »

I've got the geocache app on my phone, and have taken my boys out a few times to find some. They have a fab time, and it's a lovely way to spend your afternoons :) It's a good opportunity to get the kids out in the fresh air, and they think following clues to search for treasure is brilliant! As they get older I imagine it'll be good for developing map reading skills etc.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Mr Decaff has been doing this for a few years now. He has a disabled son and this gives them both a chance to spend time together without the fruitcake mother in a calm controllable way. They both love it!
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.