Nuclear war survival skills

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
general_panic

Re: Nuclear war survival skills

Post by general_panic »

jansman wrote:Hmmm. No one knows how they will react until a situation occurs. I suspect, general panic, that you are quite a young person?
Hehe, you may have hit the nail on the head. Not only am I in my mid twenties but I'm autistic too...

Blind youth + Autism = Inability to see anything from anyone's point of view but my own + complete and total self-belief (usually presents as arrogance). I can only apologise if I come across badly... I try not to. I'm trying to take on board what everyone is saying but there's a delay while my mind weighs up what makes more sense to it... There's no grey in an autistic mind, it's all black and white!

It does mean I'm unable to react appropriately to danger (A dangerous combination with youthful 'invulnerability' haha)- my adrenaline doesn't kick in when someone tries to fight me for example, but on the other hand it means I stay calm and never doubt myself, which can be quite a powerful thing in the right situation. Like the aforementioned fight scenario. Adrenaline actually makes people act quite foolishly! :)
jansman

Post by jansman »

You don't come across badly at all. I vaguely remember my mid twenties :lol: I was invincible ! Great talking with you.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
kernewek

Post by kernewek »

I think it's pretty impossible to know how exactly you'd react in such circumstances. We can sit here now and say life won't be worth living but it's amazing how much the human survival instinct kicks in under the most seemingly hopeless of circumstances.
bunkai

Post by bunkai »

The prevailing wind is from the south west so us south westeners are at definite advantage where nukes are concerned!
From what I have read the new nukes are a lot cleaner, a couple of weeks underground should do the trick.
I for one am quite looking forward to foraging in the wasteland.
kernewek

Post by kernewek »

Having been brought up in the south west I always assumed that Plymouth and surrounding areas would cop it big time because of the naval base and other military sites in the vicinity.
bunkai

Post by bunkai »

kernewek wrote:Having been brought up in the south west I always assumed that Plymouth and surrounding areas would cop it big time because of the naval base and other military sites in the vicinity.
Yes they probably will. The fallout heads south west so probably best to avoid setting up a retreat in Exeter or Taunton!
http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/
bunkai

Post by bunkai »

Plymouth fallout:
plymouth-nuke.jpg
general_panic

Post by general_panic »

jansman wrote:You don't come across badly at all. I vaguely remember my mid twenties :lol: I was invincible ! Great talking with you.
Thanks- I have no idea how to act socially and often find I rub people up the wrong way being a smart-ar5e! I'm noticing my joints are starting to go on me- used to lift weights for hours and run 6 miles to and from work everyday instead of driving but now my wrists and knees are betraying me the aches are starting to slow me down. I guess it's only downhill from here! :(
kernewek wrote:I think it's pretty impossible to know how exactly you'd react in such circumstances. We can sit here now and say life won't be worth living but it's amazing how much the human survival instinct kicks in under the most seemingly hopeless of circumstances.
Aye, we'll never no till it happens. Though we'd be far more likely to react well if we'd prepped for it... :)
bunkai wrote:The prevailing wind is from the south west so us south westeners are at definite advantage where nukes are concerned!
From what I have read the new nukes are a lot cleaner, a couple of weeks underground should do the trick.

Hopefully I'll see you out there bunkai! looks like it'll just be you and me cos it sounds like everyone else is planning to do a lemming style exodus :D
bunkai

Post by bunkai »

general_panic wrote:
jansman wrote:You don't come across badly at all. I vaguely remember my mid twenties :lol: I was invincible ! Great talking with you.
Thanks- I have no idea how to act socially and often find I rub people up the wrong way being a smart-ar5e! I'm noticing my joints are starting to go on me- used to lift weights for hours and run 6 miles to and from work everyday instead of driving but now my wrists and knees are betraying me the aches are starting to slow me down. I guess it's only downhill from here! :(
kernewek wrote:I think it's pretty impossible to know how exactly you'd react in such circumstances. We can sit here now and say life won't be worth living but it's amazing how much the human survival instinct kicks in under the most seemingly hopeless of circumstances.
Aye, we'll never no till it happens. Though we'd be far more likely to react well if we'd prepped for it... :)
bunkai wrote:The prevailing wind is from the south west so us south westeners are at definite advantage where nukes are concerned!

Hopefully I'll see you out there bunkai! looks like it'll just be you and me cos it sounds like everyone else is planning to do a lemming style exodus :D
I think you are right, I might start stockpiling cyanide capsules to trade :D
kernewek

Post by kernewek »

bunkai wrote:Plymouth fallout:
plymouth-nuke.jpg
Would be a bit of a shame seeing as Dartmoor is one of my favourite places.