Emergency light modification...

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
Yorkshire Andy

Emergency light modification...

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

We have all see the standard emergency light in most public buildings which come on in the event of a mains electric failure to light the way out a building...

theres many types available at about the £15 mark....

so for less than £20 who likes the idea of having a portable rechargeable light (with about a 3 hour run time) which will come on when the power goes off and gives you the chance to switch it off and conserve battery life if its not dark when you loose power to use later?

kit needed:

Emergency light fitting (id go LED our local wholesaler does them for £15 ish as he says they cost less to buy in as the battery packs are smaller thus cheaper due to the LED's lower consumption over older fluorescent tubes ) you can get brigher or not so bright ones just compare specifications

but i have one of these to hand for nothing as it just failed the full 3 hour test due to been a few years old so (it was dimming at the 3 hour mark so needed replacing so i wombled it from the skip by the time a company works out what battery it takes orders one in pays postage then pays someone to strip the light fitting down its cheaper just to replace the entire light and then you also ensure next test it wont fail wanting a new fluorescent tube or the PCB goes faulty) (battery packs are about the £7 mark 1/2 the cost of a new light which comes with a 3 year warranty usually)

http://www.emergency-lighting-direct.co ... d-kit.html

its getting used....

also needed is a cable gland to secure the cable, a length of flex (twin and earth) a plug and a miniture toggle / rocker switch.......

its a very simple mod

wire the light up as per "none maintained" instructions to flex and fit plug ensure gland is tight to prevent cable been pulled out ( i knotted the cable inside the light too)

cut into the battery live wire and install switch. and drill casing to allow toggle to poke out and fit nut.....

to charge plug into mains and switch your new switch to ON .. green status light comes on (charging can take upto 14 hours from flat)

Now leave it plugged in and should power fail the light illuminates.....

should you wish to then save the battery power the switch lets you turn it off.....

obviously you loose the full water proof qualitys with that switch but a few more pence would get a waterproof boot for the toggle if you wanted...
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
lee3

Re: Emergency light modification...

Post by lee3 »

my brother made some similar with an ambient light sensor which stops them illuminating when it's light anyway they are brilliant and have had a lot of use :geek:
I'm in area 1
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Part Deux

Got this for under a tenner off eBay.... 2x 3w led clusters these emergency lights are usually used in large areas eg sports halls / Wearhouse / stadiums to provide emergency lighting in the event of power failure

A switch added on the live battery wire.. added bonus with this unit if you leave the switch turned off and try to charge it it detects that the battery is not in circuit and beeps to tell you

Put a short length of flex on the light and a 3 pin in line plug and socket so I can remove the flex and make it more portable ..
Screenshot_20200822-185858.png
Screenshot_20200822-185851.png
Screenshot_20200822-185917.png
Screenshot_20200822-185909.png
Attachments
Screenshot_20200822-185922.png

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Missed the inline plug

Pins go on the appliance holes go on the mains supply...
Screenshot_20200822-195907.png
Screenshot_20200822-195923.png

Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

You have ebay link?
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Stonecarver wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:24 pm You have ebay link?
Was a eBay auction one of keep your eyes open though as lots of electrical stuff pops up on there left over stock from jobs

Eg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESP-EMNMIP40 ... SwDaFekv0w

blue90

Post by blue90 »

When the lights go out, which they regularly do where I live, I just walk to the kitchen and grab my MagLite, using the torch on my phone, then I have a few oil lamps and Tilley lamps that I can light or I find decent COB mechanics rechargeable work lamps to work brilliantly. Battery lights long term dont do it for me, lamp oil and paraffin I find best, or , candles.
Batteries are no good unless you can replace/recharge them.