BOB/GHB clothing for Britain.

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
jansman

Re: BOB/GHB clothing for Britain.

Post by jansman »

FF sake! I might be having chemotherapy but at least I don’t take life without humour…🤪
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Synthetics will kill you if you get to close to a fire they tend to melt and weld to your charred skin increasing infection risk unlike cotton or wool ...

Not one fabric is the best at everything

Not to mention most synthetics seem to harbor body odour / bacteria so after a few days post shtf no one will want to cuddle up to you :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:33 pm Synthetics will kill you if you get to close to a fire they tend to melt and weld to your charred skin increasing infection risk unlike cotton or wool ...

Not to mention most synthetics seem to harbor body odour / bacteria so after a few days post shtf no one will want to cuddle up to you :lol:
You go in the same style of boozers as me ! :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:35 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:33 pm Synthetics will kill you if you get to close to a fire they tend to melt and weld to your charred skin increasing infection risk unlike cotton or wool ...

Can't beat been sat with a nice cold pint by a big open fire steaming as you dry out :lol:

jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:47 pm
jansman wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:35 pm

Can't beat been sat with a nice cold pint by a big open fire steaming as you dry out :lol:
That’s the boy! :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

The fire thing is a good point. But hopefully if I had to evacuate to somewhere it would only be for a few days, so I wouldn't need to light fires. If it was long term, I'd probably dig a fire pit. If necessary I'd have to make a screen to put between me and the fire. My space blanket might work.

But ideally I could do with some clothing that's fire retardant. The problem is it's extra weight and bulk. Most fire-resistant clothing is made from cotton. I'm not sure if the wax on waxed cotton is flammable.

Wool is apparently actually more fire retardant than cotton. Also as I said, wool doesn't absorb as much water as cotton, and it still has some insulating properties when damp.

Maybe I'll think about adding a couple of things if I thought it was going to be more than a few days. I do have a shirt that's cotton/wool blend. Not going to be lugging jeans around.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Frnc wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:46 pm

The fire thing is a good point. But hopefully if I had to evacuate to somewhere it would only be for a few days, so I wouldn't need to light fires. If it was long term, I'd probably dig a fire pit. If necessary I'd have to make a screen to put between me and the fire. My space blanket might work.

But ideally I could do with some clothing that's fire retardant. The problem is it's extra weight and bulk. Most fire-resistant clothing is made from cotton. I'm not sure if the wax on waxed cotton is flammable.

Wool is apparently actually more fire retardant than cotton. Also as I said, wool doesn't absorb as much water as cotton, and it still has some insulating properties when damp.

Maybe I'll think about adding a couple of things if I thought it was going to be more than a few days. I do have a shirt that's cotton/wool blend. Not going to be lugging jeans around.

It's not just a camp fire a house fire / car accident/ (one point we'd scoff about wild fires but last summer...)

I've a few pairs of welders overalls and a peeler NBC suit

https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/peel ... 25252.html

Waterproof breathable Kevlar reinforced flame retardant chemical proof what more could you want

Peter

Post by Peter »

The best shirt I had in my hillwalking days was a pure wool welsh flannel, a little itchy but so warm, worn under a Ventile cotton jacket (showing my age). Ventile clothing is waterproof because the weave is so tight raindrops cannot penetrate but allows water vapour to pass through like natural Goretex. Always warm and comfortable, in extreme conditions I would add a sweater.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:46 pm

Here’s me thinking you knew it all about modern kit. Space blanket are extremely flammable.https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/sur ... lanket.htm

Robert Frost.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Oh ,and waxed jackets- they’ll burn,if you put them on a fire- eventually,but won’t ‘ignite’ when you are helping the local farmers to burn BSE cattle. Like I did all that time back. ;)

Robert Frost.

Me.