Home Security Upgrades

Homes and Retreats
Vitamin c

Re: Home Security Upgrades

Post by Vitamin c »

With a top cop asking other cops to go light on shoplifters as they are expecting a sharp rise, i do wonder what the other easy option for quick cash will fair, burglary still most homes have no protection and many are empty during the day.

Is this you...?
Fill er up jacko...
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Vitamin c wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:34 am With a top cop asking other cops to go light on shoplifters as they are expecting a sharp rise, i do wonder what the other easy option for quick cash will fair, burglary still most homes have no protection and many are empty during the day.

Is this you...?
This "top cop advice" rather looks like a political talking point used by some to stir up unrest and social division.

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/new ... tor-48580/

The totally predictable rise in shoplifting (a victimless crime)* will surely be followed with other increases in crime.
Interesting that we are seeing an increase in first time offenders, some of whom are perceived as 'Just trying to feed the family'
I wonder if those nice folks 'just trying to feed the family' will move on to...
... bypassing electricity meters? (another victimless crime)*
... stealing food from allotments or fields? (another victimless crime)*
... Buying hooky meat from a guy down the pub? (another victimless crime)*
... Raiding unlocked houses or sheds? (another victimless crime)*
etc etc...
Will there be a flood across the threshold where these 'nice but hungry folk' actually embrace 'proper' crime with victims and rob locked houses or steal money from the vulnerable?

"Go light on shoplifters"???!!! Hmmmmfffff, I'm very uncertain of that idea.

Besides, do police even get involved with shoplifters, where so many big stores operate their own, rather brutal "Civil Recovery Policies"

*Of course they're not victimless.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Vitamin c wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:34 am With a top cop asking other cops to go light on shoplifters as they are expecting a sharp rise,
That's not his/their job. He/they are employed to enforce the law.

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/of ... -or-stall/
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Nurseandy wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:32 am We were woken at 3am last night bt the sound of breaking glass in the house. Went to investigate & it was just the cat had knocked a glass off the draining board. However, it did highlight to me that I was barefoot, if it had been a burglar it could have been messy. Lesson learnt, easily slipped on versatile footwear to be ready in the bedroom from now on.

Lightly laced size zip combat boots ;) bit more heft and protection than crocks and the ability to run / kick doors open / stomp over shattered glass :lol: Vs a pair of trailers or slippers .. plus in a house fire a quick tightening of the laces offer tye ankles some protection of you need to drop out the upstairs window
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Would anyone care to recommend an external camera, either wired or wireless. I'm looking at best value for money, with enough features and resolution to maybe identify billy burglar and retain something like 24 hours rolling event video.
Sound or motion activated.

Would probably prefer two or three cheaper devices over one high spec device.

There seem to be some very cheap ones. What's the catch with the cheaper ones? E.g.

https://www.onbuy.com/gb/wireless-outdo ... y%20-%2020

I already have motion sensing lights in the required locations.

Thanks in advance.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:18 pm
Nurseandy wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:32 am We were woken at 3am last night bt the sound of breaking glass in the house. Went to investigate & it was just the cat had knocked a glass off the draining board. However, it did highlight to me that I was barefoot, if it had been a burglar it could have been messy. Lesson learnt, easily slipped on versatile footwear to be ready in the bedroom from now on.

Lightly laced size zip combat boots ;) bit more heft and protection than crocks and the ability to run / kick doors open / stomp over shattered glass :lol: Vs a pair of trailers or slippers .. plus in a house fire a quick tightening of the laces offer tye ankles some protection of you need to drop out the upstairs window
I keep a pair of leather hiking boots by my bed. In a fire I'd try to get them on, might be worth the few seconds spent. Good for any eventuality really. I also have three fire escape ladders. One is metal chains, another is some type of fabric. One for each bedroom basically. Bedroom next door has a window that fully opens, so that would be ideal. If I had to go out of mine, I'd have to smash the glass, so I keep a hammer on the windowsill. It's an old house, so a bit bigger drop than modern houses probably. You can break your legs in a very bad way dropping 6 feet, if your legs are straight when you land. And you don't want to be doing a roll over broken glass.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Frnc wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:29 pm

I keep a pair of leather hiking boots by my bed. In a fire I'd try to get them on, might be worth the few seconds spent. Good for any eventuality really. I also have three fire escape ladders. One is metal chains, another is some type of fabric. One for each bedroom basically. Bedroom next door has a window that fully opens, so that would be ideal. If I had to go out of mine, I'd have to smash the glass, so I keep a hammer on the windowsill. It's an old house, so a bit bigger drop than modern houses probably. You can break your legs in a very bad way dropping 6 feet, if your legs are straight when you land. And you don't want to be doing a roll over broken glass.
Thanks both, was just going to use a pair of old trainers but thinking about it I've a pair of leather dealer boots (working ones, not fashion ones), they'd be the thing to have tucked under the bed to slip on when I go to investigate with my big torch
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Nurseandy wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:33 pm

Thanks both, was just going to use a pair of old trainers but thinking about it I've a pair of leather dealer boots (working ones, not fashion ones), they'd be the thing to have tucked under the bed to slip on when I go to investigate with my big torch
Just remembered, I popped out for a few minutes a while back, and took a shortcut down a back alley. Flipping screw hiding, standing vertically, sharp end up. Straight through my New Balance sole, past the insole, lucky it didn't pierce my foot. Couldn't unscrew it, it was well in. Luckily there was a shop very close, who found a screwdriver. There's a lesson in that one too, no doubt.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Nurseandy wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:33 pm

AHH Dr Martin steel toe cap dealer boots and a 6d maglite torch a perfect combination if you drop the maglite on your toes :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:30 pm Would anyone care to recommend an external camera, either wired or wireless. I'm looking at best value for money, with enough features and resolution to maybe identify billy burglar and retain something like 24 hours rolling event video. ...
Thanks in advance.
Thanks to Yorkshire Andy's advice, today took delivery of imou 2MP. £26 to about £90 from rip off merchants

Looks to be pretty solid and will be getting fitted this week. Getting power to it is the only issue. Review to follow.