What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
Brambles

What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by Brambles »

It's the New Year so time for a new thread.

I'm starting making plans for the veg garden.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by Deeps »

As discussed elsewhere, got some new toys and a few more bits and bobs still to come. Tomorrow will be the day to go through a lot of my gear and tidy/rationalise stuff.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Just found a leak in the garden shed roof, so that's a priority.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

pseudonym wrote:Just found a leak in the garden shed roof, so that's a priority.
Oh joys

Pita this time of the year you can't get the wood dry before you refelt

If I was you I would overboard then refelt with 'torch on' felt (requires a big propane blow torch) as you unroll it you heat it and it sticks to the dry boarding sticking like poo to a babies nappy as it cools added bonus is that the wind can't shread it

Start at the bottom and work up with a 3" overlap or so

You can get a fancy torch on under felt too but on the average shed I've never bothered it's about £30 for a 8x1m roll

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/pro ... -roll.html

And it should last 10 years unlike that crappy tar paper you get from the big DIY emporiums

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL8RVd ... cueplRH2-8

Mines been done 2 years and still looks like the day I did it
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Not quite sure if it fully qualifies as a prep as such but I have been adding further insulation to the house. I've spent a day and a half crawling around under the floor and squeezing through holes in sleeper walls to put that insulation under the boards. It's been frankly too wet to do much outside.
aldhelm

Post by aldhelm »

Hoping to get my new shelving up and sorted this week, got the shelving in the kitchen cupboard sorted out so I'm part way there.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Planning what to grow, when and how. Last 2 years down the allotment were somewhat written off due to family health. Looking forward to getting it productive again and to planning my preservation too - trying to tie it in with what I am growing too. Got my gardener's diary and my almanac for Christmas so making a few scribbles in them already in regards to the year ahead. I did go down to the clay bog fest that my patch is at this time of year to have a look. Baring in mind I haven't been down there since July, I discovered parsnips that were so huge it was like something from the story of the enormous turnips - I pulled and I pulled and they still wouldn't come up! I imagine they will be woody as hell but hey! I will be better prepared this year so they don't get left this time!
parsnips_01.JPG
parsnips_01.JPG (50.39 KiB) Viewed 19527 times
Also I have ordered a few extra bit with Chrstmas Amazon vouchers such as the solar lamp: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0721QFSVR/ ... E_AMZLdp_1 as recommended by folks on here!
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

It's been a terrific year for Parsnips PP. This is the first year in many that I have even managed to get parsnip seeds to germinate and the crop so far has been excellent. I lifted one weighing 3lbs and it was not woody at all, neither are the ones I'm lifting now. I'm so chuffed as we eat a lot of Parsnips. So don't give up hope :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Did an inventory on the food stocks and general 'stuff' they are not great. Shopping trip needed but I am keeping things as inexpensive as possible this month, so it will have to wait.
Jay

Post by Jay »

Spent the last few days collecting up all the mole hills from the countryside around us, we use it to help break up the clay in the garden and as potting compost, works a treat for both. Will be planting the first batches of seeds undercover at the weekend as well as harvesting the spinach and lettuce we have grown over the winter, chickens/geese and rabbits in for treat over the next few days.
The more restrictions and prohibitions there are, the poorer the people will be.