What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Nurseandy wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:20 am Yorkshire Andy - on the plus side of a toy requiring 14aa batteries- my kids are a bit bigger now and all the rechargeable batteries they had in RC cars etc are now in my possession :D
Some Blooming modern toys don't seem to like the slightly lower voltage 1.2v rather than 1.5v guessing some designers have shares in Duracell or energiser :evil:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:32 pm I've been tidying the garden in preparation for Storm Bella - orange warnings round here.

Hope your staying safe it's a bit blowy in East Yorkshire but nothing special bit of rain rattling on the window sill but again nothing to write home about
Screenshot_20201226-225628.png

Lemne

Post by Lemne »

It's blowing a hooley in Lancs on the coast. Nothing major though.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Thanks Andy - it turned out *very* strong, you know when you hear people say, "it was like a train"? It really was :shock: never heard wind that strong (yes, I *did* sleep through the 1987 Great Gale, but not this one! :lol: ). Checking this morning for damage - rooftiles and fences have gone in the past, but there's nothing, thank heavens. I feel very lucky for that - I only repaired the roof, didn't have it replaced.
jansman

Post by jansman »

We had a drop of snow/ice early on.I must say,it wasa bit blowy in the early hours.Now it's thawed,I want to get into the workshop and have a tidy up.Working so many hours this last fortnight,stuff has just been slung back.I like to be able to lay my hands on kit easily and instantly.Being prepared also means having the means to carry out emergency repairs etc. - not just fighting zombies! :lol:

I have a couple of brace of pheasant to dress,so that's dinner sorted.Last job today will be to fill the log store outside the back door- simple enough,as I just pull a pile of logs into the wheelbarrow,and upend it into the store.

Another brew first though... :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Cocotte

Post by Cocotte »

For Xmas I got the lock pick set I've been eyeing for a while. It's far more fun than you'd expect.
Now I just need to get some harder locks than the 3 transparent practice ones that come with the picks. Comes with decent e-books too.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

chopping kindlers, I like to have an absolute minimum of a months worth ready chopped, i usually keep this up by chopping a few most days but with xmas and all i've been a bit lax with this sort of job. Also gave a box to a relative so stores much depleted. Once my back has recovered, planning to tidy up and clean greenhouse, it's snowing here with a covering on the ground and more falling now and then so no open air jobs today. Also got a small excess of fresh veg left over, planning to make soups and freeze them to save me making on busier days. Weather like this definately calls for a bowl of hot soup.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Managed to get a Tesco click and collect slot for tomorrow... at a branch half an hour away in the next town. So I'm sat with Google Streetview checking what the route looks like to drive as I am still fairly new at this driving lark and I'd like to avoid too many surprises.
jansman

Post by jansman »

izzy_mack wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:45 pm chopping kindlers, I like to have an absolute minimum of a months worth ready chopped, i usually keep this up by chopping a few most days but with xmas and all i've been a bit lax with this sort of job. Also gave a box to a relative so stores much depleted. Once my back has recovered, planning to tidy up and clean greenhouse, it's snowing here with a covering on the ground and more falling now and then so no open air jobs today. Also got a small excess of fresh veg left over, planning to make soups and freeze them to save me making on busier days. Weather like this definately calls for a bowl of hot soup.
I too, like to have plenty of kindling chopped. During furlough, I filled the normal storage area,3 dustbins full,and many fertiliser sacks too. It’s not my favourite job if I am honest.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Cocotte wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:55 am For Xmas I got the lock pick set I've been eyeing for a while. It's far more fun than you'd expect.
Now I just need to get some harder locks than the 3 transparent practice ones that come with the picks. Comes with decent e-books too.

Just don't cart them round with you plod will throw the going equipped line at you in an instant without a good reason another good set of bits to have are broken key extractors saves on the cost of a locksmith