Pocket SAS Survival Book In Zipped Wallet

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
Frnc

Re: Pocket SAS Survival Book In Zipped Wallet

Post by Frnc »

Frnc wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:27 am
Appin wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:50 pm Tip from my optician years ago. Before using a magnifying glass try a bright light. It does work. I needed to read the tiny print on food packets to look for allegens for my ( then young) son. I struggled and used a magnifier. After his tip I used a pocket torch. It makes a big difference.

I mean how many people on here don't carry a pocket torch anyway?
Good point. I have a really bright lamp over my bed, which I use if I want to read a book. It uses a 27W 6500K daylight bulb, very bright white light. Before I discovered the glasses I used an illuminated magnifier.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

You should be carrying the content of the book in your head.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:32 am
jansman wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:55 pm
Frnc wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:51 pm
I think this is an old thread, but some people might find this useful...
My eyes are terrible. Couldn't read a book, map or phone. Glasses can't fix it. Or so I thought. Got some x 3.5 magnification glasses 3 pairs for £6 off Amazon. It's a miracle! I can read my phone, books, maybe not tiny writing but my eyes are damaged. I stll carry a magnfier as well, just in case, but rarely if ever use it. Make is called The Reading Glasses Company, they do lower magnifications as well.
Have you seen an optician?
Yes of course, and consultants at an eye hospital. I had an eye disease for many years. Eventually it went away, but it left permanent scarring. It can cause blindness. Anyway, I don't need glasses according to my optician for distance, but to read a book or see my phone these x 3.5 off the shelf glasses are fantastic. But I don't like to wear them for too long because I think being so high powered they might mess with my eyes.
Surely your optician would prescribe suitable spectacles and tell you what you need? Especially if you can buy them in a pound shop,or wherever.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:58 pm
Frnc wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:32 am
jansman wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:55 pm

Have you seen an optician?
Yes of course, and consultants at an eye hospital. I had an eye disease for many years. Eventually it went away, but it left permanent scarring. It can cause blindness. Anyway, I don't need glasses according to my optician for distance, but to read a book or see my phone these x 3.5 off the shelf glasses are fantastic. But I don't like to wear them for too long because I think being so high powered they might mess with my eyes.
Surely your optician would prescribe suitable spectacles and tell you what you need? Especially if you can buy them in a pound shop,or wherever.
I'm pretty sure it's not advisable to wear high powered off the shelf glasses for long periods of time. My eyes have scarring. Glasses can't cure that. Having fine detail magnified is a workaround. Also like most older people I do have difficulty seeing things that are close up. Properly prescribed reading glasses would help with that a bit, but they aren't really powerful enough for me to read a book or use a phone. So I don't bother with them. I use a TV for comouter monitor so I'm not looking at it close up, so glasses wouldn't really help. I did go for an eye test to see if I could get some for the computer and the optician said he didn't think they would help and might do more harm than good.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Quick update. Popped into the opticians today, ordered some reading glasses. I won't know if they enable me to read a book until I get them. But they agreed that using off the shelf x 3.5 is only ok for brief periods. I think she said the prescription was about x 2 for one eye and x 1.5 for the other. But also something about a correction for one being oval shaped.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

That's good, Frnc - very different from what you've been using, so much better for your eyes.

I investigated the Bates Method in the past - basically, eye exercises. The claims are wildly overblown, but resting your eyes when you can, and doing eye exercises such as direction of attention and so on, don't harm at the very least, and could be useful, at least to cope with eye strain.

I know that what we *do* can have an effect on our eyes. A Chilean friend was held in solitary for two years - 24/7/365 x 2, so he never got the chance to focus on anything further away than the length of his cell. He tried - there was a gap between two planks he tried to look through, but it didn't really work. When he was released (negotiated by Amnesty International FYI) it took 2 years for his vision to return to normal.