What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
pseudonym

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by pseudonym »

Arzosah wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:37 pm I'm wearing wrist warmers too, when it's really cold :mrgreen:
Me too I use The Army ones:

Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:28 pm Great thinking Andy - so when they get a real live fire they'll panic like hell and run around screaming cos its a real live fire... :mrgreen:
:mrgreen:

This is the sort of thing we had set out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQckBXM6o-I

Last course I did years ago they built little wooden camp fires , and slopped unleaded into metal trays.. much more realistic but apparently it's bad for the environment and not safe in today's world ...

That's before we got onto the leave the extinguisher on the floor as my insurance doesn't cover manual handling :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Zedsdead

Post by Zedsdead »

Been looking at generators for the last few weeks. Time for a new one!
bobble

Post by bobble »

Keeping in mind all the shenanigans over the EU gas pipelines, decided to buy a couple of camping lamps from Home Bargain. Just in case the electricity goes off! Already topped off the petrol tank and organised the wood pile.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Zedsdead wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:57 pm Been looking at generators for the last few weeks. Time for a new one!
Any ideas what your going for petrol / diesel / one with LPG conversion? Voltage regulated

If petrol make sure it's E10 happy

Zedsdead

Post by Zedsdead »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:59 pm
Zedsdead wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:57 pm Been looking at generators for the last few weeks. Time for a new one!
Any ideas what your going for petrol / diesel / one with LPG conversion? Voltage regulated

I’ve been looking at the Honda eg3600 Andy. It is voltage regulated(to some extent) and has enough power for my work tools and enough power again should I need it at home. My old open frame genny has been to the moon and back
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Zedsdead wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:41 am

I’ve been looking at the Honda eg3600 Andy. It is voltage regulated(to some extent) and has enough power for my work tools and enough power again should I need it at home. My old open frame genny has been to the moon and back

Can't beat honda. We've got one at work (honda engine 2.5kw with a paramac generator coil... Some numpty had filled it with thinners at some point it had been sat in a shipping container for about 10 years ... Fresh oil, carb stripped and cleaned fresh fuel started 2nd pull ...

Zedsdead

Post by Zedsdead »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:02 pm
Zedsdead wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:41 am

Can't beat honda. We've got one at work (honda engine 2.5kw with a paramac generator coil... Some numpty had filled it with thinners at some point it had been sat in a shipping container for about 10 years ... Fresh oil, carb stripped and cleaned fresh fuel started 2nd pull ...
Yes my old one has a Honda engine. So does my whacker plate and my lawnmower too! I do like them.
jansman

Post by jansman »

After one day of forced inactivity,I got out into my garden yesterday for a breath of air. As a result,the compost heaps have been turned out,and the deep litter in the fowl run turned back into the empty bins. The bean trenches are dug,filled and ready to go. Very satisfying work. :D

In the afternoon I sat with paper and pencil,and planned my growing campaign for 2022. I am keeping it very simple ; pretty much,spuds,beans and greens ,and our beloved Winter squash. Half the garden is perennial,so it makes it all quite productive. This year is going to be economically tough for all but the wealthiest I fear ,so the garden this year will be ‘no frills’ ,with as little expense as possible. Seeds are in stock ,and our seed potatoes will be the small ones from the sack in the pantry.I find that second- grown seed can often be more vigorous. My first earlies are in store outside from last year’s crop.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I tested our emergency lighting last night ,and was rather pleased with the results. Although we have candles ,and lots of them,they are not my favourite light source. Frankly,they are a fire hazard ,but I digress.

We have a combination of battery lanterns and work lights,all LED. I have to say that just one is enough to cut through the darkness.We also have two wind up camping lanterns,which I thought I should’ve never purchased! I wound one from zero for a full five minutes,and then switched it on to the lowest of three settings.I have to say that it gave out sufficient light for well over an hour. :D

This kind of lighting will never be as bright as the mains powered LED, but it does a passable job.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.