What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

How are you preparing
jennyjj01

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 8.

Post by jennyjj01 »

hobo wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:45 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:57 pm If you do come up with any sneaky recipes to get family to scoff them, please share. This is where it's essential that we try to integrate what we stash into regular meal plans. It doesn't come naturally.
We like this one https://www.planetveggie.co.uk/spaghett ... ato-sauce/
Thanks. We can also use them up by diluting real ground meat with pulses. No-one said it has to be an 'all or nothing' mad dash to use them up. I use up my soya mince and chick peas as a 'padder' and it seems to enhance 'just meat' in a way that 'just soya' can't do.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I too need to cycle through the large stock of beans before they get any older. i have found a couple of recipes to help which are not dhal.
The first is this vegan Cassoulet which got the family thumbs up as a side dish and which would be just as happy using precooked & home frozen fried beans as tinned.
https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop ... kyNDM0NAS2
The other was a diy bean "stoup" I raided the cupboard for all the half packets of beans and lentils and pressure cooked for 30 minutes with no presoaking while I fried up a mix of diced vegetable oddments from the fridge. onion, carrot, celery, butternut squash, etc along with some dried herbs and the tag end of some chorizo (about 2 inches) When the time was up for the beans I threw the cooked veggies into the cooker and simmered for 5 minutes. It came out halfway between soup and stew, hence the stoup name and has made a good quick microwave lunch for several days with a bit of cheese on top.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

GillyBee wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:17 pm The first is this vegan Cassoulet which got the family thumbs up as a side dish and which would be just as happy using precooked & home frozen fried beans as tinned.
https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop ... kyNDM0NAS2
Awesome recipe. It could also use up dehydrated carrots, onions, cellery, garlic and even tomatoes. Heck. It barely needs any non stash stuff.
The other was a diy bean "stoup" I raided the cupboard for all the half packets of beans and lentils and pressure cooked for 30 minutes with no presoaking while I fried up a mix of diced vegetable oddments from the fridge. onion, carrot, celery, butternut squash, etc along with some dried herbs and the tag end of some chorizo (about 2 inches) When the time was up for the beans I threw the cooked veggies into the cooker and simmered for 5 minutes. It came out halfway between soup and stew, hence the stoup name and has made a good quick microwave lunch for several days with a bit of cheese on top.
Thumbs up for chucking chorizo in a bean stew. A match made in heaven. Believe no-one who tells you you cant freeze chorizo.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Had my booster jab today if that counts as a prep still can't get 5g in the house though so I'm guessing bill gates has pulled funding :mrgreen:

Booked on line but could only get early January .... Was a centre in the community centre just walked up and asked if they had any spare jabs going (was after work about 5pm).. said they are doing walk ins as well as pre booked . Handed a clipboard and a form in and out in < 15 minutes
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

My little boy is 31 and got his booster jab Friday, wife and daughter are nursing so had theirs weeks ago, had mine last month. Made a load of cauliflower pickled in white wine vinegar with turmeric and ginger ready for new year; its a 'quick pickle' Made a couple of kilo of sausage meat for sausage rolls and breakfast patties and made a big pot of basic spag bol to freeze down into smaller portions, always handy to have in the freezer.

Had Talktalk Future Fibre 500 installed Friday and its working really well, speeds averaging 490-505/70-78.

I'm now doing bugger all preps until the new year apart from the usual picking up an extra can/packet for store when I'm out shopping

Off topic, started watching Wheel of Time and am enjoying it; its no Game of Thrones but its an easy view.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Visited my favourite kitchen manufacturers skip jack pot plenty of wood and with our mild winervous so far hopefully enough to see me through a possibility of another lock down .
Now just smashing in fire size pieces.
Fill er up jacko...
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Experimented with

https://groceries.morrisons.com/product ... lsrc=aw.ds

plus

https://groceries.morrisons.com/product ... -470768011

mixed and fried off with some onions and peppers

you could add wraps if you were so inclined :shock:

Definitely a keeper for the cupboard,

all dehydratable too.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Jackfruit..... Yayyyy.
The secret to using it is browning it off a bit, first, as though it were meat. It never quite impersonates meat exactly, so accept it for what it is, a flavour sponge with cool texture. There are definitely different qualities of Jackfruit try ASDA Summer Pride. A bit cheaper. https://groceries.asda.com/product/tinn ... 0103681900

Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

Clearing the house of anything I do not really use any more - clothes, books, spare kit etc. Giving away, charity shops or selling.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

I have next week off so I'm making lists of Stuff to Do to get done either side of Christmas - bits of garden before it gets REALLY cold, clearing some stuff out, and the car goes in for MOT on Monday which will likely lead to me needing new tyres. I have to have another go with my budget spreadsheet. I read my meter yesterday and my next gas bill is going to be mahoosive, so I need to look at what I can reduce so I can stay warm the rest of the winter. I think living off my preps more will be the result for the next few months until the weather is warmer. The massive downside to working from home is I'm liable for a lot more outgoings than I would be if I was in the office. I mustn't complain though: I have a roof over my head and food in the cupboard and a job that pays me. A lot of people have a lot less.

I've been looking at the pulses recipe suggestions: they are all fabulous and I agree with the lentil/bean and chorizo pairing, it's magic! I also did not know you can freeze chorizo, so I might stock up next time I'm in Aldi.