Quorn meat substitute

Medical and Healthcare
korolev

Re: Quorn meat substitute

Post by korolev »

By "factory grown meat" I was meaning something that isn't yet (but undoubtedly will be) commercially available.
Farming animals for food is far more resource-hungry than arable farming, up to 12x for beef I believe, so we need to either persuade everyone to go veggie or find more efficient ways to produce meat.
jansman

Post by jansman »

The idea of ‘growing’ meat in a laboratory ( rather than a live animal on a farm) is an utterly repulsive idea. As a career butcher, if it came to dealing with that, then I am out!

Meat production IS energy/ resource intensive. I personally think the way forward will be a balance of plant based foods AND UK reared meat. I say that, as there are areas of Britain where arable crops- or crops of any kind- cannot be grown. Just think of the Highlands, and Fells where sheep are grown. They make use of that available land.

We have a looming energy crisis, and imports will become less available, particularly at the artificially low prices people have come to expect. I can see in the future, any available land being turned over to small scale horticultural enterprises. With that would logically be small scale meat production; be that poultry, goats, rabbits and even aqua -culture. That small scale animal production would provide manure too, which is vital to an holistic , agricultural/ horticultural system. I know that plant -based fertility systems are available, but in nature, plants and animals co-exist in a mutually agreeable ecosystem.

We will learn ( will have to)to eat seasonal foods, and meat will be ( as it used to) for Sunday lunch, and high days and holidays. I keep fowls on my little , but very productive plot. Until recently I bred meat rabbits. I still have the gear, and I could easily start up again. I also used to keep goats, and that too is very doable.

A meat- free diet is a choice. My wife has pretty much made that choice, mainly for ethical reasons. I take a flexible approach. I like many of the meals she does, but I like meat too. For the record, I have sausage to eat tonight. I made them this morning; Outdoor- reared Gloucester Old Spot. Lovely.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I think some of the factory grown stuff, from animal cells, will happen - the human race always goes to extremes, and I see that as an extreme, for sure :mrgreen:

My own position is much closer to jansman's (and Mrs jansman's). If we could manage to get small scale food production businesses going again in this country, a lot of things would get easier. There are some, but they're mostly artisanal, ie £4 for a 200g pot of chili jam, that sort of thing. Still, there are a couple of people near me that keep chickens, and the secondary school thats 10 minutes away has a mini farm: more chickens, pigs, sheep and cattle, I kid you not. Though they also have the £4 chili jam in their little shop.

Here's the pig, underneath her apple trees:
012.jpg
daylen

Post by daylen »

Grown meat will become mainstream, I'm certain. The mixture of increasing animal welfare standards, pressure to reduce emissions and of course driving costs down will push this forward.

I agree with Arzosah and jansman and think that small scale, local production and reducing meat consumption is the best solution, but it's not a solution that makes corporations lots of money. Small scale production isn't very profitable. And certainly not as profitable as massive automated factories making meat could be.
korolev

Post by korolev »

jansman wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:24 pm The idea of ‘growing’ meat in a laboratory ( rather than a live animal on a farm) is an utterly repulsive idea. As a career butcher, if it came to dealing with that, then I am out
It won't become mainstream for a generation or longer so you will likely be well retired by then.

There are advantages and disadvantages to lab grown meat; the advantage is that it's less resource-hungry but the disadvantage is that it reduces the need (and therefore cost) for skilled butchers, they will just grow it in the shape required.
In a few years time you will be able to go into Tesco and buy a joint of topside grown in India for £3 or a Farm-reared, traditionally-butchered "Finest" for £10. Both will sell and someone will make a fortune out of it.
jansman

Post by jansman »

korolev wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:48 am
jansman wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:24 pm The idea of ‘growing’ meat in a laboratory ( rather than a live animal on a farm) is an utterly repulsive idea. As a career butcher, if it came to dealing with that, then I am out
It won't become mainstream for a generation or longer so you will likely be well retired by then.

There are advantages and disadvantages to lab grown meat; the advantage is that it's less resource-hungry but the disadvantage is that it reduces the need (and therefore cost) for skilled butchers, they will just grow it in the shape required.
In a few years time you will be able to go into Tesco and buy a joint of topside grown in India for £3 or a Farm-reared, traditionally-butchered "Finest" for £10. Both will sell and someone will make a fortune out of it.
To be frank, I couldn’t give a monkey’s cuss about being put out of work by such an invention. Simply put, the idea is disgusting.

Robert Frost.

Me.
DeadStick

Post by DeadStick »

I agree Frank, I also think rearing animals full of antibiotics to ward off the diseases their horrible living conditions would otherwise inflict, then simply sending them off to be slaughtered wholesale is disgusting...
jansman

Post by jansman »

DeadStick wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:19 am I agree Frank, I also think rearing animals full of antibiotics to ward off the diseases their horrible living conditions would otherwise inflict, then simply sending them off to be slaughtered wholesale is disgusting...
Who’s Frank? :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
DeadStick

Post by DeadStick »

jansman wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:24 pm
To be frank
:lol: