Kiwififer

Re: Advice for a hopeless gardener

Post by Kiwififer »

I might be getting an allotment!

Fingers crossed folks!
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Kiwififer wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:21 pm I might be getting an allotment!

Fingers crossed folks!
Whoo Hoo. Good luck. Was there a long waiting list? Who did you have to kill or bribe?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Fingers crossed folks!
BRILLIANT! :mrgreen:
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:49 pm

Fingers crossed folks!
Whoo Hoo. Good luck. Was there a long waiting list? Who did you have to kill or bribe?
Not too sure. The daughter of the woman who lives next to my mother in law went to a group of allotments that had seen better days, she asked why they were like that and was told that a few had been abandoned. This was not that long ago so I’m going later today to see if they have any left. They probably have all been snapped up but shy bairns don’t get sweeties as we say up here!
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Kiwififer wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:57 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:49 pm

Fingers crossed folks!
Not too sure. The daughter of the woman who lives next to my mother in law went to a group of allotments that had seen better days, she asked why they were like that and was told that a few had been abandoned. This was not that long ago so I’m going later today to see if they have any left. They probably have all been snapped up but shy bairns don’t get sweeties as we say up here!
You've nudged me to approach my local allotment association. You don't ask: You don't get.
To apply for an allotment, one has to be a member of the allotment association £4 and annual rental is 20, 40, 80 depending on plot size. I might give it a go. Could do with some exercise. :D
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

And on top of that Jenny, I have the final hoop to jump through today at 3.00 to get that job I posted about a week or so ago.

I have it, HR just wish to see some sort of paperwork from an interview. I had to put it back a week as my own work is chaotically busy.

In a way, it is prepping as I’m preparing for increases in petrol and fuel as I will get a modest pay increase and 2/3 of a monthly bus pass…
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

I got the job. 😉
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Kiwififer wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:27 pm I got the job. 😉
Well done on the job.

Inspired by yourself, I just applied to join the waiting list for an allotment. No idea yet how long the wait is. (Will edit this if I find out)
Went to the biggest of the local sites and it looked really lush with loads of colour and greenery. No sign of ramshackle sheds. Not much sign of no-dig gardening. Plots seem to be rented out as whole, half, quarter plots or a few large raised beds which my be reserved for the less flexible.
Rules seem strict. Security is strong.This is a somewhat conservative village.

Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

jennyjj01 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:59 pm
Kiwififer wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:27 pm I got the job. 😉
Well done on the job.

Inspired by yourself, I just applied to join the waiting list for an allotment. No idea yet how long the wait is. (Will edit this if I find out)
Went to the biggest of the local sites and it looked really lush with loads of colour and greenery. No sign of ramshackle sheds. Not much sign of no-dig gardening. Plots seem to be rented out as whole, half, quarter plots or a few large raised beds which my be reserved for the less flexible.
Rules seem strict. Security is strong.This is a somewhat conservative village.
Thanks and good luck on the allotment.

They now pay for a full bus pass. That will save me a few groats.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Sauteed some magetouts last night, just a few 1 cal sprays. Tiny bit of salt and pepper. Big improvement. Pretty tasty as a snack on their own. So, pretty successful crop so far. Will see how many new pods grow. I didn't pick all the ones that were there. They grow near the top of the plant, which is limited by pole height and netting. I may have to do something (again). These canes are not cheap. £17 inc delivery. Obviously I wasted money starting with 4 ft ones. They are now on 7 ft ones and are at the top.