E10 petrol potential problems!

Logistics and Transport
grenfell

Re: E10 petrol potential problems!

Post by grenfell »

As is the wife's way she's found it cheaper on ebay but i think i'm going to give it a try in my tools and she'll give it a go in her old MG . Thanks for that. I did try the Aspen stuff but wasn't too impressed with it especially as it is around £18 a gallon so this will be another experiment . It'll be like mixing cocktails , petrol , two stroke all and now additive shaken not stirred of course.
Incidentally at the moment the petrol stations i use near me are all still labelled up as E5.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Went into morrisons yesterday for diesel and noticed that the pumps are now labelled as E10 and E5 . Having mentioned the aspen stuff i thought i'd have a look to check the price. Seems £18 a gallon is a tad out , cheapest i could see on a quick search is a little over £29 . Bit expensive to use much of it but either way the conclusion is that it's going to cost more.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I don't tend to look at youtube very often and it was a poster on another forum that pointed these videos out all about removing ethanol from petrol.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b9mLbuUSt-0
Make of it what you will. I'm in two minds myself. Obviously one will lose a little over 10% of the volume of each gallon of fuel and it then requires additives to raise the octane back up but is it a better idea than fuel stabilizer?
Winterprep

Post by Winterprep »

Saw this the other day it may be of interest.

https://wynnsonline.co.uk/product/wynns ... protector/
Zedsdead

Post by Zedsdead »

You can still get e5 petrol for your tools, just have to go to a bp or esso round here for it
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

In the youtube video there were questions asked about what one does with the water , alcohol with a bit of petrol mix that is removed from the original mix. I fear some would just pour it down the drain which would be pretty stupid in all honesty. Getting the alcohol out of the water would useful if there were an easy way to do it that didn't involve inputs of energy.
As E10 is supposedly giving lower mpg's but the E5 premier should give what one gets already i do wonder if the cost per mile is hugely different.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I am definitely getting 3 mpg less on e10. So if I am doing less mpg,thereby burning more fuel,then how does that benefit the environment? Especially as the ethanol has to be grown on ( what should be ) food producing land.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Totally mad Jansman!
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

There's the argument that even though it's less mpg it's also less fossil carbon being released. Ethanol is part of the current carbon cycle , all about the isotopes to get technical. However , personally i think it's less about the environment and more about stretching out the supplies of oil. We've passed peak oil some time ago , we've been on the downhill side for a while. Reducing consumption will kick the can down the road longer. Rationing is the logical route but that's liable to be political suicide , raising the price would be equally unpopular so make it less efficient so the cost per mile rises and peop!e should hopefully drive less to keep costs down.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Its all Henry Ford's fault, he could of designed the Model T to run on either alcohol or gasoline....... He picked rotten dinosaurs because it was half the price (They'd just found a load under Texas)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar