Buy or build a Home First Aid Kit

Medical and Healthcare
jansman

Re: Buy or build a Home First Aid Kit

Post by jansman »

Rusty74 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:51 pm super glue is another one for a 1st aid kit,though invented accidentally in 1942 by harry coover,it was widely used during the vietnam war to patch up wounded gi's,so something else to maybe think about
To be used with caution. Had this discussion with first aid trainer recently.

https://www.realfirstaid.co.uk/superglue
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

https://www.aafp.org/afp/2000/0301/p1383.html has a list of when to avoid using superglue. It can do more damage than good for some injuries.
hanhan

Post by hanhan »

Rusty74 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:51 pm super glue is another one for a 1st aid kit,though invented accidentally in 1942 by harry coover,it was widely used during the vietnam war to patch up wounded gi's,so something else to maybe think about
I have some Gorilla glue. Never thought of using it for wounds but it sure comes in handy for fixing stuff around the house. Definitely something for the useful stuff kit.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

hanhan wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:39 pm
I have some Gorilla glue. Never thought of using it for wounds but it sure comes in handy for fixing stuff around the house. Definitely something for the useful stuff kit.
Gorilla glue is a different beast all together it's a pu based adhesive
Probably not good to get in a wound as it reacts with moisture and expands not good if it gets into the blood stream..

Most jobs can be done with steri strips and a couple of drops of super glue to secure it if it comes loose (not on the laceration itself)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

hanhan

Post by hanhan »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:03 pm
Probably not good to get in a wound as it reacts with moisture and expands not good if it gets into the blood stream..

Most jobs can be done with steri strips and a couple of drops of super glue to secure it if it comes loose (not on the laceration itself)
I have got some steri strips. Which superglue brand would you recommend? I did quite a bit of Gorilla glue on my skin the other week, took several days to get it off :shock:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

hanhan wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:30 pm

I have got some steri strips. Which superglue brand would you recommend? I did quite a bit of Gorilla glue on my skin the other week, took several days to get it off :shock:

Moderator hat on:
Approved for human use

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liquid-Skin%C2 ... 9709&psc=1

Hat off what ever super glue is in the shed 🤣

Bicarbonate soda / baking powder mixed in water poured into glue = quick setting

hanhan

Post by hanhan »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:35 pm
hanhan wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:30 pm

Moderator hat on:
Approved for human use

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liquid-Skin%C2 ... 9709&psc=1

Hat off what ever super glue is in the shed 🤣

Bicarbonate soda / baking powder mixed in water poured into glue = quick setting
I need the liquid skin to replace what the Gorilla glue pulled off :D
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I've made a 2 page summary of buying recommendations on this thread :oops: a lot of it I have already, of course ... but this bit on superglue is interesting. I've got ordinary superglue https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-super ... /p/0081176 though the reviews aren't particularly good, it would give me a chance, if I needed it. I was noticing how much it focussed on skin irritation though - and the reviews on the liquid skin that Andy's linked to are very, very good, they sound real too. Goes on the list to buy for the next swipe through Amazon, thank you.
hanhan

Post by hanhan »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:30 pm I've made a 2 page summary of buying recommendations on this thread :oops: a lot of it I have already, of course ... but this bit on superglue is interesting. I've got ordinary superglue https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-super ... /p/0081176 though the reviews aren't particularly good, it would give me a chance, if I needed it. I was noticing how much it focussed on skin irritation though - and the reviews on the liquid skin that Andy's linked to are very, very good, they sound real too. Goes on the list to buy for the next swipe through Amazon, thank you.
Yes and the liquid skin at £4.60 sounds like a good investment for a small amount of money.