Buy or build a Home First Aid Kit

Medical and Healthcare
Jerseyspud

Re: Buy or build a Home First Aid Kit

Post by Jerseyspud »

Steri strips I've found dirt cheap on ebay as well as normal saline.

If you have any Chemicals around its a very good idea to have a chemical spills kit ready and know how to clean up safely. I can give a rough outline of an all purpose spills kit if anyone wants it (science technician with lots of lovely chemicals)
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
hanhan

Post by hanhan »

Jerseyspud wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:23 pm Steri strips I've found dirt cheap on ebay as well as normal saline.

If you have any Chemicals around its a very good idea to have a chemical spills kit ready and know how to clean up safely. I can give a rough outline of an all purpose spills kit if anyone wants it (science technician with lots of lovely chemicals)
Yes please. I'd like to know more about a spills kit.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

hanhan wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:31 pm
Jerseyspud wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:23 pm Steri strips I've found dirt cheap on ebay as well as normal saline.

Depends on what you plan on spilling but generally super absorbent pads / socks / clay drain Mats and a container to put it in once soaked up

Usually containing a treated wood dust / fiber (fire retardant additive)

https://www.absorbentsonline.com/spill- ... t-contain/
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Actually the best absorbant material we use for all chemical spills is plain cheap cat litter.

Make sure you have a bag of cat litter, gloves, a mask, dustpan and brush.

Depending what chemicals you have this covers pretty much all of them.

For flammable I would use sand as well.
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
hanhan

Post by hanhan »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:09 pm
hanhan wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:31 pm

Depends on what you plan on spilling but generally super absorbent pads / socks / clay drain Mats and a container to put it in once soaked up

Usually containing a treated wood dust / fiber (fire retardant additive)

https://www.absorbentsonline.com/spill- ... t-contain/
Yes, was thinking of getting some sawdust as this could also come in handy for a compost style loo if it came to the worst
hanhan

Post by hanhan »

Jerseyspud wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:45 pm Actually the best absorbant material we use for all chemical spills is plain cheap cat litter.

Thanks, I never would have thought of getting cat litter, as I don't have a cat. Sounds useful to have on hand.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Jerseyspud wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:45 pm Actually the best absorbant material we use for all chemical spills is plain cheap cat litter.

Fuller's earth?

Remember for mercury spillages we used to use sulpher then Wipe it up

We supply a wood waste firm with our waste timber the really mucky crap stuff goes for spill kits eg:

https://www.darcy.co.uk/product/granule ... safe-soak/

Cat litter pellets work ok but don't do as well as loose dust ..but they make good fuel for the wood gas stove ;)

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

The cat litter we buy is made by a company who mostly make oil spill gear...... Its probably the same stuff in different packaging
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:16 pm The cat litter we buy is made by a company who mostly make oil spill gear...... Its probably the same stuff in different packaging
Perfect for the Morning after the cats licked up all the fat from the roasting tin after the roast pork dinner and got the Ronnie Rits :mrgreen:

Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

super glue is another one for a 1st aid kit,though invented accidentally in 1942 by harry coover,it was widely used during the vietnam war to patch up wounded gi's,so something else to maybe think about
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...