Rising energy prices mitigation

Homes and Retreats
rik_uk3

Re: Rising energy prices mitigation

Post by rik_uk3 »

Sounds like water freeze in the regulator, propane will work down to -40c so way colder than Scotland gets.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Yea think so rik. Bloody nuisance though, and usually happened when the coal froze solid and the elect went off as well :mrgreen:
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:50 pm Yea think so rik. Bloody nuisance though, and usually happened when the coal froze solid and the elect went off as well :mrgreen:
Hells bells! When coal freezes together,that is COLD!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Maybe was wet in bottom of the coalhouse Jansman. Used to happen when it was really cold, we hit minus 19 one year. Husband used to batter hell out of it with the spade but when he was ill, I couldn't do it. I used to hack away like hell and get one single wee lump at a time :lol:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

That's a lifetime of wariness about freezing temperatures, all tied up in one visual. Horrifying.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:16 pm That's a lifetime of wariness about freezing temperatures, all tied up in one visual. Horrifying.
Thanks for the kind offer of the gas but I don't think postman pat likes gas in transit :shock:

On the coal freezing the BBC documentary

https://youtu.be/qkZz-0LukYM

They were lighting fires under the coal carrying waggons to get it out :shock:. Good to see the issues they had then times haven't changed
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I can mind them lighting fires under buses and lorries long ago, think diesel froze? They must have added something to it to stop that now?
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Traditional method was to put parafin in with the diesel something like. 1:15 mix if i remember correctly. Modern diesel should be winter grade that is good down to around -15 degrees.
I can remember the odd occasion when the coal froze together as a kid. Our coal bunker was just an open topped brick affair so if it rained then froze then it could happen. The slack would build up in the bottom as well and that would more easily be damp enough to stick together.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Medusa wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:35 pm Whilst sorting through the in-laws house looking for items they need in their care home I came across a pile of wool blankets and grabbed them them to store in the airing cupboard in case of need. I have been searching in charity shops and Ebay for a few only to find them being sold at ridiculous prices. Army blankets look ok and seem cheaper but also look itchy and scratchy. We are mostly electric and oil here with a couple of wood burners. Heat really is not an issue as we get donated wood, foraged wood, free wood and some we buy. Oil is a different matter and we try to be frugal and have used the oil heating little this year as we had a plentiful supply of wood. Electric is a different matter normally costing £85 + per month. I am often to be found shouting about turning lights off, dry some clothes in front of the wood burner and sit by candle light in the evening. Husband is now rationed to the lamp in the lounge rather than the big light when I will happily wander around in the dark, rather than turning lights on. Sadly husband and youngest daughter are not quite as frugal and I am often to be heard shouting the immortal words "turn the lights off, its like Blackpool illuminations in here"
I always do a search on Ebay with a deliberate spelling mistake - lots of people make them accidentally when they are listing which means stuff doesn't get as many views and the price stays low. So, instead of searching for 'Witney blanket' you search for 'Whitney blanket'. You get the idea... :mrgreen:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Slightly off topic,but… A couple of my customers commented on increased prices.I said that rising fuel prices were having an effect. Then they both said that they were horrified at the cost of their recent quarterly fuel bills.
Bear in mind that most of my customers are what you would call wealthy. Indeed,many of the cars in the car park are worth half as much as our cottage ,and that’s no joke!

When the increased prices kick in,people on modest and low incomes will feel it,for sure. Won’t be pretty.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.