How is everyone dealing with rising prices?

For all things financial
Kiwififer

Re: How is everyone dealing with rising prices?

Post by Kiwififer »

jansman wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:48 pm
Frnc wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:42 pm
jansman wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:22 pm

We freeze milk.
Oh, that's a good idea. I'll do that with some of it as soon as I open it tomorrow, so if I defrost it in the fridge in 6 or 7 days from now, it'll be like new!
Frozen milk can be a little ‘watery’ when thawed but it still works for us. It saves waste.
Frozen milk? That takes me back to school in the late 70’s. Great in winter, warm cream in summer. 🤢
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Ahastyatom wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:36 pm
Frnc wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:32 pm I'm gonna start eating the leaves on cauliflowers, and the stalk. No waste.
Cauliflower leaves lightly roasted with just a bit of salt and pepper are lovely. They go slightly crispy and IMO are the best bits.
Nice. Next time I'm using the oven rather than microwave for other stuff (I eat a lot of microwaved Quorn stuff) I'l try that. They're not bad boiled, but roasted sounds better.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Frozen milk turns orange in the freezer but goes back to normal when thawed. Give it a good shake before you pour it.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:59 pm Frozen milk turns orange in the freezer but goes back to normal when thawed. Give it a good shake before you pour it.
Will do, cheers.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:59 pm Frozen milk turns orange in the freezer but goes back to normal when thawed. Give it a good shake before you pour it.
Ok, put it in the fridge yesterday evening. Still solid this morning. Did manage to stick a fork in and break it up a bit. Still pretty much frozen this afternoon. Hoping tomorrow am will be useable. And defrosting tips? I believe you're not supposed to defrost stuff at room temp. It would work against the point of all this anyway, as I don't intend to use it in one day. Yes it does look orange from the outside.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I used to just bring it out of the fridge and leave it on the worktop, it isnt as if it was meat or anything. Jus tmilk. Mind andgive it a good shake before you fill the milk jug.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:57 pm
Ok, put it in the fridge yesterday evening. Still solid this morning. Did manage to stick a fork in and break it up a bit. Still pretty much frozen this afternoon. Hoping tomorrow am will be useable. And defrosting tips? I believe you're not supposed to defrost stuff at room temp. It would work against the point of all this anyway, as I don't intend to use it in one day. Yes it does look orange from the outside.
You are correct that it should be thawed in the fridge.As I tell my customers who ‘ forgot to get it out of the freezer’, you need to plan ahead. So your milk needs to be out a couple of days ahead. Forward planning…
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:45 pm
You are correct that it should be thawed in the fridge.As I tell my customers who ‘ forgot to get it out of the freezer’, you need to plan ahead. So your milk needs to be out a couple of days ahead. Forward planning…
Ok, cheers. Was nice to have a change from cereal this morning anyway.
mbbaltic

Post by mbbaltic »

It speeds things up a bit if you put it in a sink filled with COLD water (never hot)
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

We have been taking frozen milk (car) camping for years. It works as a big freezer block in a cool box for the first couple of days and gives us fresh milk at the same time. If you open the milk when there is still a frozen core in the middle the first pour is very creamy while the tag end is watery but we have learned to live with that. We also take unfrozen milk for the first 36 hours as the frozen will still be solid....