How is everyone dealing with rising prices?

For all things financial
jansman

Re: How is everyone dealing with rising prices?

Post by jansman »

My dear wife is a primary school teacher. This week she has been teaching healthy eating. Part of that was about portion size and food waste. She had to emphasise that the kids didn’t go home and tell parents they are doing it all wrong! :lol: She hoped that the children would remember the lessons and apply them to their future lives. Turns out that several kids went home and said “all this food we throw away is wrong “,and parents have agreed. So there’s a money saver.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:57 pm My dear wife is a primary school teacher. This week she has been teaching healthy eating. Part of that was about portion size and food waste. She had to emphasise that the kids didn’t go home and tell parents they are doing it all wrong! :lol: She hoped that the children would remember the lessons and apply them to their future lives. Turns out that several kids went home and said “all this food we throw away is wrong “,and parents have agreed. So there’s a money saver.
I'm gonna start eating the leaves on cauliflowers, and the stalk. No waste. And buying milk in 2 litre containers. Admittedly there's more risk of wasting milk that way, but I can't afford the £ extra smaller ones cost.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:32 pm
jansman wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:57 pm My dear wife is a primary school teacher. This week she has been teaching healthy eating. Part of that was about portion size and food waste. She had to emphasise that the kids didn’t go home and tell parents they are doing it all wrong! :lol: She hoped that the children would remember the lessons and apply them to their future lives. Turns out that several kids went home and said “all this food we throw away is wrong “,and parents have agreed. So there’s a money saver.
I'm gonna start eating the leaves on cauliflowers, and the stalk. No waste. And buying milk in 2 litre containers. Admittedly there's more risk of wasting milk that way, but I can't afford the £ extra smaller ones cost.
We freeze milk.

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I always froze milk when we lived out in the sticks. We don't throw out any food, ever. We just eat it all :mrgreen:
I'm trying an experiment - instead of a weekly Sainsbugs delivery I'm going onto fortnightly. Will be a bit messy this first time as we run out of stuff but I can muddle through with stuff from the local shops. I've done a mealplan too, I find that def helps. It involves a fair bit of soups, stews with loads of veg, milk puds and home baking. Just determined I'm not handing over more and more money for less and less food.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:22 pm
We freeze milk.
Oh, that's a good idea. I'll do that with some of it as soon as I open it tomorrow, so if I defrost it in the fridge in 6 or 7 days from now, it'll be like new!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:42 pm
jansman wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:22 pm
We freeze milk.
Oh, that's a good idea. I'll do that with some of it as soon as I open it tomorrow, so if I defrost it in the fridge in 6 or 7 days from now, it'll be like new!
Frozen milk can be a little ‘watery’ when thawed but it still works for us. It saves waste.

Robert Frost.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Ah right, yes - I tend to just eat the Mexican one, probably why I can't get it for 35p! :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

itsybitsy wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:09 pm Ah right, yes - I tend to just eat the Mexican one, probably why I can't get it for 35p! :lol:
Chuck some chilli in?

Robert Frost.

Me.
British Red

Post by British Red »

Ahastyatom

Post by Ahastyatom »

Frnc wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:32 pm I'm gonna start eating the leaves on cauliflowers, and the stalk. No waste.
Cauliflower leaves lightly roasted with just a bit of salt and pepper are lovely. They go slightly crispy and IMO are the best bits.