Preparing for Winter 2022/23

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: Preparing for Winter 2022/23

Post by Arzosah »

GillyBee wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:19 pmA thrift blog I follow had a recent Norwegian comment that a shower was now costing about 48 NOK or £4.00. Her household is moving to Navy showers/sponge baths instead of daily showering....
Good grief! And Norway is almost entirely powered by HEP, because of all that water/snow and all those socking great cliffs. That's got to be a government policy rather than need, Norway has one of the best run sets of government finances in the world https://www.nbim.no/
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

That or the lady posting completely messed up her maths when working out the cost and amount of energy she uses. A quick Google of Norwegian energy costs makes me think that more likely. Either way it has resulted in a behaviour change.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

IMG_20211231_100952_753.jpg
IMG_20211231_154622_277.jpg
Hit Lidl ..,..

More rechargeable batteries and a couple of extra torches.... Currently have a 4 year old searching the upstairs in the dark by blue or green or red light can't go wrong £4.99 for a metal torch with batteries, a pouch and screw in coloured lenses :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:04 pm IMG_20211231_100952_753.jpgIMG_20211231_154622_277.jpg

Hit Lidl ..,..

More rechargeable batteries and a couple of extra torches.... Currently have a 4 year old searching the upstairs in the dark by blue or green or red light can't go wrong £4.99 for a metal torch with batteries, a pouch and screw in coloured lenses :lol:
Followed your advice and stocked up on those rechargeable batteries too.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:03 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:04 pm IMG_20211231_100952_753.jpgIMG_20211231_154622_277.jpg

Hit Lidl ..,..

Followed your advice and stocked up on those rechargeable batteries too.
Can't fault them had very few fail usually by leaving them in kids torches and they totally flatten them then won't take a charge.... But less than £1 a battery yiy can't complain when the likes of Duracell cost that then you bin them. . . . Good for the wallet and environment ;)

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

A few years back I bought shaker torches for the kids in the family........ That slows down battery use quite a bit ;)

Domestic petrol storage is limited to 2x10 ltr metal cans and 2x5 ltr plastic cans (I think)..... But what (if any) is the maximum quantity of Paraffin I can store (and how )?

I suppose we should also mention any limits on bottled gas just for completeness?

I'm on my third power company in a twelvemonth, not looking forward to the next bill.......... or the one after the price cap gets its next adjustment :cry:

Beside me is a drawer full of rechargeables and two different chargers, I have torches that take all the standard sizes.
I have several stoves that between them use most of the gas cans available in this country...... As well as ones designed to burn petrol, paraffin and alcohol (not to mention twig-burners and esbet/hexi).

Anyone know how to run a computer on butane ?? :lol:
Last edited by ForgeCorvus on Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:34 pm A few years back I bought shaker torches for the kids in the family........ That slows down battery use quite a bit ;)

Domestic petrol storage is limited to 2x10 ltr metal cans and 2x5 ltr plastic cans (I think)..... But what (if any) is the maximum quantity of Paraffin I can store (and how )?

I suppose we should also mention any limits on bottled gas just for completeness?

I'm on my third power company in a twelvemonth, not looking forward to the next bill.......... or the one after the price cap gets its next adjustment :cry:

Beside me is a draw full of rechargeables and two different chargers, I have torches that take all the standard sizes.
I have several stoves that between them use most of the gas cans available in this country...... As well as ones designed to burn petrol, paraffin and alcohol (not to mention twig-burners and esbet/hexi).

I store paraffin in an outbuilding half way up the yard.Original containers with little to no threat of ignition. 10 gallons.

Robert Frost.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

jansman wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:57 pm I store paraffin in an outbuilding half way up the yard.Original containers with little to no threat of ignition. 10 gallons.
Yep same here; 20 litres of Lamp oil in their original containers.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:34 pm A few years back I bought shaker torches for the kids in the family........ That slows down battery use quite a bit ;)

Beside me is a draw full of rechargeables and two different chargers, I have torches that take all the standard sizes.

Petrol regs changed a few years ago your now permitted to store 30l at a domestic address

https://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion ... iation.htm

https://www.esfrs.org/your-safety/safer ... of-petrol/

Upto 30 in a combination of 5 / 10 / 20l approved containers

LPG there isn't a limit immsmc . When you think many rural homes have 2/3x 45kg propane bottles outside the kitchen though any gas should be stored safely...

They say 30kg of butane indoors relating to a dwelling..

Propane should be stored outside of any building so any leak can escape ..

I'm guilty of Keeping mine in the shed right by the door so I can place it outside the shed when I use the tumble drier etc.... If I left it outside it'd grow legs round here ..

I've also installed drop vents around my shed at floor level to prevent any gas build up should any leak ....

https://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/advice/storing

Do t think there's any limit to diesel or 32sec Kerro most country houses have a 1000l+ bunded tank outside for oil heating

jansman

Post by jansman »

Drop vents are a good idea.

Robert Frost.

Me.