Preparing for Winter 2022/23

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: Preparing for Winter 2022/23

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:12 pm
jansman wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:52 pm Please forgive me if I am missing something here,and do correct me if my technical knowledge is wrong…A generator could run a computer,but what about the power to your internet routers? Even if you were using 4G ,the relay stations wouldn’t be operational for that long in a major power loss.

Ok,you may just want information stored on that computer,and of course,a generator could enable that. On the other hand,information can be stored on a tablet,and that can be powered by a decent power bank- Anker is my choice- and that can be solar power charged. That may not be possible in the depths of Winter,of course,but REALLY vital stuff can be printed beforehand,or you could slum it,and have…BOOKS. :lol:

I have dabbled with generators, but they are noisy,and take very (2022) expensive fuel…Even a Honda suitcase job has a noise signature when there is no other noise…just sayin’

Our router is 12v I have the wires made to run it from a car battery for short term use (news/ Comms) for as long as it lasts local power cut the exchange stays powered for a good while . But I won't be rushing to make it work unless I NEED it

I see a generator as a couple of days prep it will keep the freezers / fridge cold to give us chance to batch cook/ roast what ever we can to keep it edible whilst it's boosting the fridges a strip adapter will let me hammer charge into power banks / leisure batteries with the "fast chargers" especially in winter when long dark days don't do many favours with charging...
I agree that a generator is very much a short term ‘fix’. I got rid of mine ,after many years of ,well,not using it. I would fettle it,start it every so often,but boy,it was noisy! In a power cut ,I wouldn’t want the noise signature attracting vermin ;) .When we first moved here 30 and more Summers ago,we had a bad dump of snow that took out power and water for a week. It was interesting to walk the dogs in the dark,tracking the people with gennies ( caravanners generally we found).Even those ( at that time) that were ,I suspect, little Honda jobs like the one pictured earlier, you could hear across a country mile.

Fuel storage is another issue of course,and now even more so, the cost. £2 per litre isn’t far off now. I saw a gardener- friend at the petrol station yesterday filling cans for his gear. It’s costing him a mint ; but I digress. That’s one reason I have gone down the route of power banks,rechargeable batteries,solar and the like.

Freezers seem to be the issue for most,but we are prepared to lose the contents. Mind you,a freezer will hold easily ,unopened, for 24 hours, and even after that,it becomes a refrigerator for several days.It would be a simple matter to eat through the contents first. We had one of our walk- in freezers throw a seven over the Christmas holiday. We reckon it had been off three days,and there was still ice in most stuff. We probed it,and it was legal to use.

Anyhow,speaking of Winter,it’s light enough now,and I have an Ash tree to repatriate into my log storage :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
British Red

Post by British Red »

Winterprep wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:59 pm BR do have any photos of your flexible exhaust system?

Thanks.
Was chatting with someone about these today and it occurred to me to just link you to them!

https://www.geargb.co.uk/product/2055-H ... xhaust_Kit
Winterprep

Post by Winterprep »

Thanks BR for the link.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Winterprep wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:40 pm Thanks BR for the link.
Local motorfactors might very well be cheaper .. your looking at about 10 to 15 quid a length

Just keep it as straight as possible these small engines expel a LOT of heat via the exhaust and helps cool them making it too restrictive in terms of excessive bends / extra silencers reducing the flow can lead to overheating
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
davidmalan45

Post by davidmalan45 »

Thanks for reminding us about preparing for the winter. Here a lot of people discussed about refrigerators should be okay in the winter. I don't find any posts about winter holiday preparations. In the winter a lot of people go outside camping etc. For this purpose, they mostly use RVs. So, During the last vacation our 12v RV refrigerator was not working well. So, in this season we prepare everything before the season. So, you should also prepare yourself to avoid misfortune.
Last edited by davidmalan45 on Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

davidmalan45 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:33 pm Thanks for reminding us about preparing for the winters. Here a lot people discussed about the refrigerator should be okay in the winter. I don't find any post about winter holidays preparations. In the winter a lot people go out side for the capming and etc. For this pupose they mostly use RV's. So, In last vecation our 12v RV refrigerator was not working well. So, in this season we prepare everthing before the season. So, you should also prepare for youself to avoid misfortune.
Welcome to the forum David can you please post an introduction in the new members section

viewforum.php?f=9

Many caravan / camp in the UK throughout winter , in the UK the 12v side of the camper / RV fridge is only used in transit people swap to gas or electric site hook up (mains) obviously propane is preferable over butane , domestic make winter covers for most of their caravan fr fridge vents

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/venti ... ttom-white

(Mine has a separate gas exhaust)

jansman

Post by jansman »

davidmalan45 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:33 pm Thanks for reminding us about preparing for the winter. Here a lot of people discussed about refrigerators should be okay in the winter. I don't find any posts about winter holiday preparations. In the winter a lot of people go outside camping etc. For this purpose, they mostly use RVs. So, During the last vacation our 12v RV refrigerator was not working well. So, in this season we prepare everything before the season. So, you should also prepare yourself to avoid misfortune.
Please note that the link is USA. This is a UK site. ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Well it’s turning cauld again north of the Tweed so I’m going to be getting a tried and trusted heating source in use tonight.

A hot water bottle and possibly an extra blanket out.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Kiwififer wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:34 pm Well it’s turning cauld again north of the Tweed so I’m going to be getting a tried and trusted heating source in use tonight.

A hot water bottle and possibly an extra blanket out.

And If it gets really cold you'll put some tepid water in the hot water bottle :lol:

Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Two Yorkshire men were sitting in the pub talking.

One man says ‘My wife says we never go out, never do anything and she’s fed up. So tomorrow I am taking her out for a cup of tea and some nice biscuits’.

‘Steady on chuck, that seems a bit extravagant’ says his pal.

The proud Yorkshire man takes a sip of his Tetley and says ‘Aye well, it will be fun watching her face when she has to give blood to get them’….