Preparing for Winter 2022/23

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Preparing for Winter 2022/23

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:34 pm

Anyone know how to run a computer on butane ?? :lol:

Well you jest if it will power from usb eg a tablet or you can run it off a power bank ... I was discussing something similar with jansman the other night.... Have you seen the bio lite stoves?

https://www.shop-outdoors.co.uk/product ... 6YQAvD_BwE

Few on YouTube have built their own chargers to put onto DIY stoves or wood burners ... Basics are it involves a peltier thermal shunt like what's inside your average thermo cool box and w voltage regulator and a big heatsink ...

Fitted the correct way round it takes heat through the magic chip and as it cools (hence the heat sink) on the other side it generates electricity

Anyway I digress if you have a butane stove you want this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ajirangi-Porta ... B00YPKY1ZQ

:ugeek:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Not an expert but during our power outage I tried (unsuccessfully) to charge my works laptop from the USB port in my car - my Hewlett Packard laptop requires 18v apparently (so the error message told me).
12v to 240v inverter in the cigarette lighter did the job.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Nurseandy wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:12 am Not an expert but during our power outage I tried (unsuccessfully) to charge my works laptop from the USB port in my car - my Hewlett Packard laptop requires 18v apparently (so the error message told me).
12v to 240v inverter in the cigarette lighter did the job.

You can get 12v to 18v step up adapters so you don't need to run the inverter

Obviously match to your model number but as an example

https://www.lps-gopower.org/hp-pavilion ... YxEALw_wcB

:)

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I was looking at the gravity light but that seems to have vanished from the work and replaced by the nowlight

https://deciwatt.global/shop/nl01

But despite their early claims to be made affordable to the third world they are not UK pocket money...

£100 for power unit

£49 for 2 hanging lamps

£35 for the optional solar panel

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Visited the zombie stores vault today (my camping kit still in my parents attic)

Dug out 2x extra camping Lanterns and the thin bottom aluminium camp kettle brought down will save on gas should shtf

Fresh batteries in the lanterns

And found my first aa maglite that I got as a kid currently reminiscing of simpler times when they were seen as bright :tinfoil but after 25years+ it still works like the day I got it and with today's throw away world it's stood the test of time......

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:51 pm
And found my first aa maglite that I got as a kid currently reminiscing of simpler times when they were seen as bright :tinfoil but after 25years+ it still works like the day I got it and with today's throw away world it's stood the test of time......
You can get drop-in LED replacements for those, I bought one a few years back but it didn't fit in my Mag-clone. I have got (and used) drop-ins in my bigger torches...... They really are good
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
piglet

Post by piglet »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:51 pm
I still use my large D cell Maglite which I have had 20-30 years. Only change is that I changed the old style bulb for an LED module.

I do like the Deciwatt light and maybe tempted once the bank account has recovered from the past couple of weeks.
ain't settlin'
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I've dropped the led bulb upgrades in my 4 and 6d maglites the batteries now last ages .. they live between the bed and the bedside table always handy to have a robust reliable torch to hand to investigate the noises at 3am ;)

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

I was very lucky in that I fixed my gas and electricity prices with a big company for 3 years just before they shot up. Inflation is bad for me though as I have a small pension and it doesn't go up much each year. I don't really have any heating apart from gas plus an electric heater or two. Of course I have torches and batteries. In theory I could have wood fires but I'd need to get a proper fireplace put in which is expensive. I do have a couple of gas stoves and a Trangia, but only a few days' worth. I have a couple of little stoves that burn wood, but they are for cooking outdoors. So, warm clothes it is!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Frnc wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:17 am I was very lucky in that I fixed my gas and electricity prices with a big company for 3 years just before they shot up. Inflation is bad for me though as I have a small pension and it doesn't go up much each year. I don't really have any heating apart from gas plus an electric heater or two. Of course I have torches and batteries. In theory I could have wood fires but I'd need to get a proper fireplace put in which is expensive. I do have a couple of gas stoves and a Trangia, but only a few days' worth. I have a couple of little stoves that burn wood, but they are for cooking outdoors. So, warm clothes it is!

Meths is cheap at home bargains in the painting and decorating area