Preparing for Winter 2022/23

How are you preparing
British Red

Re: Preparing for Winter 2022/23

Post by British Red »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:34 pm).

Anyone know how to run a computer on butane ?? :lol:
Yes, although butane isn't ideal because it tends to liquify in cold temperatures - propane is a better choice. The modern Honda generators have adapter kits to run on either propane or petrol

ImageHonda Generator with Propane kit by English Countrylife, on Flickr
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

British Red wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:44 am
ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:34 pm).

Anyone know how to run a computer on butane ?? :lol:
Yes, although butane isn't ideal because it tends to liquify in cold temperatures - propane is a better choice. The modern Honda generators have adapter kits to run on either propane or petrol

ImageHonda Generator with Propane kit by English Countrylife, on Flickr
Watch the weather those eu20i / eu10i generators have a very poorly weather protected PCB
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
British Red

Post by British Red »

Good advice. I have the flexible exhaust system so can, thankfully, run it in a little rain proof generator shed
Winterprep

Post by Winterprep »

BR do have any photos of your flexible exhaust system?

Thanks.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

If you need to run a computer from a generator, make sure you have surge protection and/or a UPS. Surges and uneven power can destroy computers and if you are running it from a generator I assume it cannot be managed without if it has a tantrum.
British Red

Post by British Red »

Winterprep wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:59 pm BR do have any photos of your flexible exhaust system?

Thanks.
Not to hand but I'll take some next time I'm using it. It's basically just a push fit flexible metal tube that friction fits over the existing stainless exhaust
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GillyBee wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:43 pm If you need to run a computer from a generator, make sure you have surge protection and/or a UPS. Surges and uneven power can destroy computers and if you are running it from a generator I assume it cannot be managed without if it has a tantrum.
Those honda ones above posted by british red are the inverter type which offer a decent smooth regulated output

jansman

Post by jansman »

Please forgive me if I am missing something here,and do correct me if my technical knowledge is wrong…A generator could run a computer,but what about the power to your internet routers? Even if you were using 4G ,the relay stations wouldn’t be operational for that long in a major power loss.

Ok,you may just want information stored on that computer,and of course,a generator could enable that. On the other hand,information can be stored on a tablet,and that can be powered by a decent power bank- Anker is my choice- and that can be solar power charged. That may not be possible in the depths of Winter,of course,but REALLY vital stuff can be printed beforehand,or you could slum it,and have…BOOKS. :lol:

I have dabbled with generators, but they are noisy,and take very (2022) expensive fuel…Even a Honda suitcase job has a noise signature when there is no other noise…just sayin’
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
British Red

Post by British Red »

I certainly wouldn't be terribly worried about running laptops but was answering the question. In terms of noise signature, most people around here have generators of one sort or another - from little two stroke jobs to enormous three phase diesel generators as large as a garden shed with bunded tanks to keep the chilled stores chilled in the event of an outage. Ours is large enough to keep our freezers frozen if run for a few hours a day. The reason we use propane is because we have a bulk tank and bottles already so we could simply use that. Similarly I known homes with large heating oil tanks that run diesel generators ( I don't think diesel & heating oil are totally identical but I'm informed generators will run on it ). Certainly around here there are lots of petrol & diesel engines running in a power outage, whether that's chainsaws & log splitters, tractors, quad bikes or other stuff.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:52 pm Please forgive me if I am missing something here,and do correct me if my technical knowledge is wrong…A generator could run a computer,but what about the power to your internet routers? Even if you were using 4G ,the relay stations wouldn’t be operational for that long in a major power loss.

Ok,you may just want information stored on that computer,and of course,a generator could enable that. On the other hand,information can be stored on a tablet,and that can be powered by a decent power bank- Anker is my choice- and that can be solar power charged. That may not be possible in the depths of Winter,of course,but REALLY vital stuff can be printed beforehand,or you could slum it,and have…BOOKS. :lol:

I have dabbled with generators, but they are noisy,and take very (2022) expensive fuel…Even a Honda suitcase job has a noise signature when there is no other noise…just sayin’

Our router is 12v I have the wires made to run it from a car battery for short term use (news/ Comms) for as long as it lasts local power cut the exchange stays powered for a good while . But I won't be rushing to make it work unless I NEED it

I see a generator as a couple of days prep it will keep the freezers / fridge cold to give us chance to batch cook/ roast what ever we can to keep it edible whilst it's boosting the fridges a strip adapter will let me hammer charge into power banks / leisure batteries with the "fast chargers" especially in winter when long dark days don't do many favours with charging...