What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by diamond lil »

Izzy there's been some sort of big exercise going on, we've had the Hercules and a lot of US and RAF jets over, I was watching them on Flightradar. Was a lot from Lossiemouth. Still some activity down south.
WomanOfTheWoods

Post by WomanOfTheWoods »

izzy_mack wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:40 am Started on the jam making , just a couple of pots each of rhubarb and fig and of strawberry, crops ripen much later in the highlands so that was all I had so far.
Worrying thing I've noticed is that last week there was a lot of helicopters flying about and 3 jets flying low. Today 6 or 7 fighter jets flew over together VERY low and seem to be heading towards the bombing range at Tain. I can't remember ever seeing that many in one flight before. Maybe I need to stock up EVEN more ! WW3 anybody?
Strawberry jam Izzy_mack. I'm heading your way now and will happily bug out on strawberry jam and home made scones please :D. My very first ripe garden strawberry of the year should be ready tomorrow presuming the birds don't get it first. I've grown some in an old builders barrow that had rusted.

My croft is very quiet except during RAF Lossie exercises when all hell breaks loose.. The jets literally skim the top of my trees. I'm sure my house is one of their targets for exercise practice. My mother lives in a croft near mine. It was only yesterday she said that in all her 80 years, with the exception of the run up to the Falklands war, she has never seen so much activity from RAF Lossie as recently.
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

couple of hours in the garden today,planted 4 rows of beetroot and 2 rows of turnips,got some weeding done and a trip to the petrol station to fill another 25ltr drum up with diesel,which i noticed is now at £2.07 a litre for shell v power :shock: :shock: :shock:
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Posted this in the winter prep by mistake. Ordered a Nato US Army Metal Ammo/Tool Box, £18, to keep lipo power packs in. I have those lipo bags, but the videos of youtube where people test them are pretty horrifying. The box versions of the bags mostly have zips, which look like a quick point of failure as flames will melt the cloth part even if they have metal teeth.
These metal boxes need the rubber seal removing to prevent pressure build-up. They aren't perfect, but are better than nothing. Ideally should be on non-flammable floor a metre away from flammables. Easier said than done, unless you put it outside.

Also been doing a bit on my insurance. I'm trying to keep a series of notes and screenshots of receipts in Apple's Notes app. So, one for clothes, several for bike stuff, one for appliances etc. I just add a few things when I've nothing else to do. The idea is that if I ever had a fire or got burgled, it would be in the cloud and save loads of time.
WomanOfTheWoods

From today, I'm increasing my work by an extra 21 hours per week. This isn't something I thought I would do and I already work full time. I had hoped to work on lots of outdoor projects on the croft during the Summer. I would far prefer to be outside. But, needs must, the devil drives. Now is the time for deferred gratification.

I'm mortgage and debt free and every week I move nearer to self sufficiency. But there's still a lot that needs done on the croft. So an extra 3 hours per day, 7 days per week in my office/studio won't harm me.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Frnc wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:55 pm Posted this in the winter prep by mistake. Ordered a Nato US Army Metal Ammo/Tool Box, £18, to keep lipo power packs in. I have those lipo bags, but the videos of youtube where people test them are pretty horrifying. The box versions of the bags mostly have zips, which look like a quick point of failure as flames will melt the cloth part even if they have metal teeth.
These metal boxes need the rubber seal removing to prevent pressure build-up. They aren't perfect, but are better than nothing. Ideally should be on non-flammable floor a metre away from flammables. Easier said than done, unless you put it outside.
I’m interested in what this is, could I keep documents in it for example? My maw in law has a metal storage box that’s quite old but I reckon it’s as safe a place you can get.
jansman

Post by jansman »

WomanOfTheWoods wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:43 pm From today, I'm increasing my work by an extra 21 hours per week. This isn't something I thought I would do and I already work full time. I had hoped to work on lots of outdoor projects on the croft during the Summer. I would far prefer to be outside. But, needs must, the devil drives. Now is the time for deferred gratification.

I'm mortgage and debt free and every week I move nearer to self sufficiency. But there's still a lot that needs done on the croft. So an extra 3 hours per day, 7 days per week in my office/studio won't harm me.
No! I am debt free,own my property etc etc. We are human BEINGS, not human DOINGS. I need stuff doing here. But we save. Then spend..no more work, please.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
WomanOfTheWoods

It all depends on what one means by "work" Jansman.

For me, work is a beautiful creative process which just so happens to pay well. And in times of uncertainty it makes sense for me to work more and earn more. For many people work is a grind. Something they feel they haveto do to keep a roof over their head and support their family. It is often 5 days of misery for 2 days of false freedom. My work is not a grind! It's working for myself, in my studio, surrounded by nature and using the natural materials that grow on my land. I produce art and design for organisations worldwide including heritage organisations.

It has been over quarter of a century since I chose to leave the world of "security" and became a free woman. I live simply and debt free. But that happened because I stepped way outside the comfort zone of most people.
Winterprep

Post by Winterprep »

WomanOfTheWoods wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:39 am It all depends on what one means by "work" Jansman.

For me, work is a beautiful creative process which just so happens to pay well. And in times of uncertainty it makes sense for me to work more and earn more. For many people work is a grind. Something they feel they haveto do to keep a roof over their head and support their family. It is often 5 days of misery for 2 days of false freedom. My work is not a grind! It's working for myself, in my studio, surrounded by nature and using the natural materials that grow on my land. I produce art and design for organisations worldwide including heritage organisations.

It has been over quarter of a century since I chose to leave the world of "security" and became a free woman. I live simply and debt free. But that happened because I stepped way outside the comfort zone of most people.
Love that. So true about most people work/life balance. It’s a grind sometimes.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Kiwififer wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:03 pm
Frnc wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:55 pm Posted this in the winter prep by mistake. Ordered a Nato US Army Metal Ammo/Tool Box, £18, to keep lipo power packs in. I have those lipo bags, but the videos of youtube where people test them are pretty horrifying. The box versions of the bags mostly have zips, which look like a quick point of failure as flames will melt the cloth part even if they have metal teeth.
I’m interested in what this is, could I keep documents in it for example? My maw in law has a metal storage box that’s quite old but I reckon it’s as safe a place you can get.
You can keep anything in them. They aren't sold as fireproof. I happened to see them and then by chance saw a video of someone causing a lipo fire inside. It wasn't perfect, but better than nothing. Removing the seals is mentioned in the vid.
Here is what I bought
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B097TVLPW9/
youtube vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv_3vwSZmzA