What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by diamond lil »

Found a source of decent eggs :mrgreen:
won't let me adda pic. Dark choc brown eggs, blue eggs, green eggs. fresh from the hen. Magic.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:05 am Found a source of decent eggs :mrgreen:
won't let me adda pic. Dark choc brown eggs, blue eggs, green eggs. fresh from the hen. Magic.

Turk on your old lady charm become a regular knock on the door to pay them even if there's a honesty box say you want to make sure no one steals the money make it a regular thing then if things go south they might put you a box to one side every week ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Well she lives up a wee rough track which winds uphill from the ruined church and graveyard, which itself is down a wee narrow windy road :shock: There is no way in hell the husband's goin to even try and take his precious car up there.. so I met her husband when he came to the village shop for the Sunday rolls. I had to skulk outside and eye up random men to see if they looked like they might have eggs on them :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Attachments
ANEGGS.jpg
jansman

Post by jansman »

Wow, that guy keeps a few breeds, looking at those eggs. Nice when you can secure local supplies like that.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

That's brilliant, Lil! I do my best with organic eggs, and save the eggshells to bulk cook in the halogen oven so I can crush them and scatter them on the soil, but it's a poor imitation of what you've got there :D

My stuff ... dehydrating rhubarb, I'm about to plant some gifted primroses (for the bees next year), digging up weeds (if we were in survival mode, there are some edible ones I'd eat), and I'm clearing the decks so I can start to learn how to use my new-to-me sewing machine. My seedlings are happy, everything has at least a couple of cells that's sprouted, thinking now about where on earth I can pot them on to.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

They taste fantastic too. :mrgreen:
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jansman wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:11 am
Kiwififer wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:11 pm
jansman wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:58 am

It holds the countryside together! :lol:
Is that the same as the legendary Kiwi number 8 wire? It even went into common language as having a ‘number 8 mentality’ meant inventing something out of nothing and making do with what you have at the same time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_8_wire
Not the same, but the spin off uses are similar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baling_twine
I was taught to cut the twine off bales near the knot in order to end up with the longest useful length.

Give me a battalion of Scouts and Norfolk's baler twine mountain and I can build you almost anything. :lol:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

They both obviously sit in the psyche of country folk!

Using what they have to fix things. A make do attitude to life if you like.

My old man was a scout, even at 69 he’s pretty handy at knots. I really should start learning more advanced stuff than a reef and bowline….
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Kiwififer wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:16 pm They both obviously sit in the psyche of country folk!

Using what they have to fix things. A make do attitude to life if you like.

My old man was a scout, even at 69 he’s pretty handy at knots. I really should start learning more advanced stuff than a reef and bowline….

The transport hitch is THE knot to learn from lashing a load to a trailer or Ute bed ;) or tensioning a guy rope without the plastic toggle it's a good knot to learn
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Morrisons are selling off their 150g packets of shredded jackfruit in sauce for 30p a pack.

BB Feb 2023, long enough to supply this years camping trips and "Can't be ar5ed to cook" days at home.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.