What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Frnc

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Frnc »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:29 pm
jansman wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:51 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:06 pm

The transport hitch is THE knot to learn from lashing a load to a trailer or Ute bed ;) or tensioning a guy rope without the plastic toggle it's a good knot to learn
Here’s the knot I use everyday at work, many hundreds of times on a bad day :lol: Its useful as a civvy too. It’s called a butchers knot. Look it up on YouTube; my original link didn’t isolate from my own history there. I am a butcher,not Bill Gates! :lol:
A good selection of knots to learn
Reef
Bowline
Transport hitch (trucker's hitch, carter's hitch, trucker's/carter's dolly.... There are more names)
Butcher's knot (thanks Jansman, I hadn't thought about that one)
Clove Hitch (there are two ways to tie this, you should learn both)
Sheet bend
Figure 8 ( has several different uses as stopper knot, fixed loop and tackle hitch to name a few)
All very useful knots.
A word on the reef knot. This is probably the best known knot for joining two ropes, but it is NOT a true bend (a bend is a knot for joining two ropes). It is easy to undo, but can come undone too easily! It's good for non-critical situations.

Sheet Bend as you mentioned is another useful knot. Better than a reef knot, but can still loosen easily if not under load. Used for ropes of unequal diameter (or equal).
https://www.101knots.com/sheet-bend.html

More secure, and an easy knot to learn, is the Alpine Butterfly Bend.
https://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/alp ... erfly-bend
Easy to undo but unlikely to come undone when not under load. This is my favourite of these four. Ropes need to be roughly equal diameter.

Even more secure, to the point of being a pain to undo, is the Double Fisherman's Knot.
https://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/double-fishermans
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Frnc wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:04 am
A word on the reef knot. This is probably the best known knot for joining two ropes, but it is NOT a true bend (a bend is a knot for joining two ropes). It is easy to undo, but can come undone too easily! It's good for non-critical situations.

You're right, I was taught that a Reef is for tying lines around something (as in reefing up a sail or bundling a hammock ) not for tying lines together.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

I forgot! As an angler I use the 5 turn water knot REALLY often.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:48 pm You're right, I was taught that a Reef is for tying lines around something (as in reefing up a sail or bundling a hammock ) not for tying lines together.
This makes sense, because in those circumstances the knot is under a bit of tension, and the two ends are the same rope, so same diameter.
Apparently misuse of this knot has caused more fatalities than any other.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

A doubled figure of eight Knot is useful if you need a loop on the end and I sometimes use a stockman's hitch (aka highwayman's hitch) to tie things up in the garden that I may need to adjust for growth.
For sailing, the first knots I learned as a teen were the figure eight, the round turn and two half hitches and the anchor hitch. (But I never really progressed much past that in sailing. :oops: )
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

lads from work phoned me today to let me know where a load of lengths of willow where so went down and quietly cut up and got a van load,still a load more there but see how i feel in the morning and if im up to it,sad really because before my troubles id have had the lot in lengths in the van,i bounce back
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Purchases/ deliveries today:
- white velcro to use on an insect screen so I can have the window open overnight (its like Piccadilly Central for bugs).
- tension rod to hang a privacy curtain/light blocking curtain in the kitchen.
- printer/scanner that will work with my last year's laptop.
- 1kg cashews, to get free delivery. I like cashews!
- opticians' screwdriver to get free delivery on the other set of goods.

We're beyond the projections of inflation for the whole year, and it's only May. The velcro, the tension rod and even the printer-scanner are good preps to have in the house.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Arzosah wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:57 pm We're beyond the projections of inflation for the whole year, and it's only May. The velcro, the tension rod and even the printer-scanner are good preps to have in the house.
You've reminded me that I should add printer ink to my shopping list for this weekend! I get paid tomorrow and am planning a run round Aldi / Wilko / Savers etc, for cleaning and household stuff while the prices are still just about manageable.
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

more logs today,another van load picked up,picked eldest lad up from colleage today and as soon as he got in the van he looked at me and said "guess we going for logs,thats why you offered to pick me up"all because i was in my chainsaw gear lol,he a good lad and dosent mind helping his dad out,figure on another two van loads left there and i know for an ash tree thats been dropped and left in lengths,so will try and get that as well,plan on getting more than normal in this year even if i have to stack it on pallets n throw a tarp over it
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Rusty74 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:40 pm more logs today,another van load picked up,picked eldest lad up from colleage today and as soon as he got in the van he looked at me and said "guess we going for logs,thats why you offered to pick me up"all because i was in my chainsaw gear lol,he a good lad and dosent mind helping his dad out,figure on another two van loads left there and i know for an ash tree thats been dropped and left in lengths,so will try and get that as well,plan on getting more than normal in this year even if i have to stack it on pallets n throw a tarp over it
We have done the same this year too, our free wood supply is not as plentiful as it once was and if the oil prices do not come down much then I would rather pay for wood than oil as the two log burners will heat the whole of downstairs and part of upstairs if we leave the doors open and dry my washing nicely on the clothes maiden. We had two separate deliveries last week from two different suppliers and then got offered a pallet full of Christmas tree stands (log slices) for £20 probably about 4 1/2 - 5 tonne in all.
Growing old disgracefully!