What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Frnc

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Frnc »

My knife sharpener is this
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003BUV226/
Is very lightweight, for my bugout bag. I think they do a smaller one, but that was reviewed as less easy to use.
Weighs 81g including case.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

jansman wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:41 am
steptoe wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:23 am Well just had to have a christmas treat , i have wanted a professional knife sharpening kit for some time , i use my bench grinder most times to reshape if it needs it and i have an electric grinder to but i have wanted a hand sharpener for years , i love working things by hand , i do my chisels and plans by hand so now well it was a bargain so i had to get one i can put razor edges on my knives again , i say you do not need ot fear a sharp tool a blunt one will injury you faster

well stay safe all
My main knife stone is at my main employer,unfortunately. I’ve owned it ,for decades! but I’ll not go and get it until I tell him to stick the job up his a#se? :lol: :lol: :lol: They are old fashioned and ideal for blades ,proper stones are.
Your right on the stones i have always used indian oil stones for my chisels as i like a sharp chisel , i have my hacking chisels but my marples and a couple of stanleys i recon at a push you could shave with them .You never have to fear a sharp tool but a blunt one will injury you in a flash , i hate when i see friends using a knife to chop and it clearly is as blunt as a butter knife and they push both hands down to chop a cabbage or stuff .

Hope you got all you wanted from santa
jansman

Post by jansman »

steptoe wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:40 pm
jansman wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:41 am
steptoe wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:23 am Well just had to have a christmas treat , i have wanted a professional knife sharpening kit for some time , i use my bench grinder most times to reshape if it needs it and i have an electric grinder to but i have wanted a hand sharpener for years , i love working things by hand , i do my chisels and plans by hand so now well it was a bargain so i had to get one i can put razor edges on my knives again , i say you do not need ot fear a sharp tool a blunt one will injury you faster

well stay safe all
My main knife stone is at my main employer,unfortunately. I’ve owned it ,for decades! but I’ll not go and get it until I tell him to stick the job up his a#se? :lol: :lol: :lol: They are old fashioned and ideal for blades ,proper stones are.
Your right on the stones i have always used indian oil stones for my chisels as i like a sharp chisel , i have my hacking chisels but my marples and a couple of stanleys i recon at a push you could shave with them .You never have to fear a sharp tool but a blunt one will injury you in a flash , i hate when i see friends using a knife to chop and it clearly is as blunt as a butter knife and they push both hands down to chop a cabbage or stuff .

Hope you got all you wanted from santa
Ha ha, after 40 years a professional butcher,I tend to have sharp knives! :lol: :lol: As for Christmas,yeah,I got some nice bits n bobs. Told the family not to spend a load. Illness changes attitudes about *stuff*.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

power cuts have started up here in north wales,was only off for an hour and thankfully it was earlier today but they have started,rung 105 to report it and was told an overhead power surge had caused it and will be back on by 3.15pm today
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Reset my iPhone today. Was a bit scared, had to erase everything, but everything worked smoothly. I regained about 5 GB, just hope it doesn't come back.

A few weeks ago my notes storage grew about 0.7 GB, and about 2.6 GB photos mysteriously appeared in storage. The only photos I had were in notes.

Most of the notes are prep related, I have about 800, many with photos.
a-b

Post by a-b »

Recently, we had a local watermains burst because of the cold and it put mine and several other towns out of water, with some houses going upto four days without anything. Water stations seemed to be non-existent as well. It gave me a kick up the arse to begin stocking plenty of factory-bottled water, and I've also been filling up my used 2-litre milk bottles as an extra backup. Ideally these would only be used if we had nothing else in the house to drink, or just use them to flush the bog. I'll probably look into water cans from the Army surplus stores soon, as well as water butts for the garden.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

a-b wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:34 pm Recently, we had a local watermains burst because of the cold and it put mine and several other towns out of water, with some houses going upto four days without anything. Water stations seemed to be non-existent as well. It gave me a kick up the arse to begin stocking plenty of factory-bottled water, and I've also been filling up my used 2-litre milk bottles as an extra backup. Ideally these would only be used if we had nothing else in the house to drink, or just use them to flush the bog. I'll probably look into water cans from the Army surplus stores soon, as well as water butts for the garden.
I've got several IBC 20l barrels like caravanners use if your physically able to lift them ., They stack nicely. Just beware of the accumulated weight if you've got floor boards / store outsiders... Our pantry has a concrete floor
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
a-b

Post by a-b »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:37 pm
a-b wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:34 pm Recently, we had a local watermains burst because of the cold and it put mine and several other towns out of water, with some houses going upto four days without anything. Water stations seemed to be non-existent as well. It gave me a kick up the arse to begin stocking plenty of factory-bottled water, and I've also been filling up my used 2-litre milk bottles as an extra backup. Ideally these would only be used if we had nothing else in the house to drink, or just use them to flush the bog. I'll probably look into water cans from the Army surplus stores soon, as well as water butts for the garden.
I've got several IBC 20l barrels like caravanners use if your physically able to lift them ., They stack nicely. Just beware of the accumulated weight if you've got floor boards / store outsiders... Our pantry has a concrete floor
I've just checked and they seem surprisingly cheap for the size, so they'd do great in my garage! From what I've read, with the required bleech added, they can be a safe source of drinking water for upwards of a year?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Water prepping is a big topic. We are SO used to clean drinking water 24/7 that it almost feels like nothing to worry about. And if we do worry about it, then it could take all our storage space , unnecessarily. Towns without water is almost unthinkable. You've seen first hand how badly the authorities dealt with it,
We have members here with a few 2L bottles under the bed and members with a long array of 1000l IBC's
Choose your own route.
Water butts are handy, but in summer they can take weeks to replenish. Same with IBC's I guess.
Personally, I go with multifaceted half-ar53d approach. A few bought 5L bottles: A few water butts: A lot of purifying tabs and a couple of Straws. Hopefully, in combination, they will be of some use.
As Andy said, beware the weight of stacked water.
Plastic milk bottles can be pretty weak, too.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

a-b wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:56 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:37 pm
I've just checked and they seem surprisingly cheap for the size, so they'd do great in my garage! From what I've read, with the required bleech added, they can be a safe source of drinking water for upwards of a year?

If kept in the dark it can last a good while I try and replenish mine every 3 months or so I've also got a anti glug tap so I can hoik one onto the worktop if needed and fill the kettle / cups easy enough b
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine