Lidl - Aldi - bread flour

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Re: Lidl - Aldi - bread flour

Post by jansman »

British Red wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:28 pm That's where we put it. We use the big "really useful" boxes. Each holds c. 15kg of flour. Once the flour has been frozen to kill weevil eggs (endemic in all flour)we aim for dry (vac packed) and cool (unheated building).

This is how we do it

https://youtu.be/e3d2QyGRXoY
Bugger me! Wondered where I was going wrong :lol: :lol: :lol: I’ll get on eBay and order a barn! :lol: :lol: :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
British Red

Post by British Red »

Shed, garage, coal bunker, whatever unheated outdoor space works for you ;)
jansman

Post by jansman »

British Red wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:08 pm Shed, garage, coal bunker, whatever unheated outdoor space works for you ;)
And plastic containers or not, don’t forget pest control. Rats can chew through plastic containers.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
British Red

Post by British Red »

Thankfully not an issue here, as poultry breeders we have to be vigilant - I did professional rodent control qualifications a while ago to ensure we keep on top of that and to give access to better materials. Well worth doing imo.
Moorland Prepper

Post by Moorland Prepper »

That's where we put it. We use the big "really useful" boxes. Each holds c. 15kg of flour. Once the flour has been frozen to kill weevil eggs (endemic in all flour)we aim for dry (vac packed) and cool (unheated building).

This is how we do it

https://youtu.be/e3d2QyGRXoY
Just revisiting the thread as the local supply of flour is drying up. Due to the problems in the Ukraine and Russia this is only going to get worse so we are going 'hunting' flour tomorrow and will be vacuum packing and freezing it, something that we have never done before. I've checked on Amazon and the price of flour is starting to rise quite a bit.
British Red

Post by British Red »

Unless the Ukraine situation changes, it will go higher. Unless the Indonesia situation changes, soap will be amongst the next items to rocket.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Plenty in our local Lidl today no oil though... That said farm foods had 10l bottles for £19.99
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Moorland Prepper

Plenty in our local Lidl today no oil though... That said farm foods had 10l bottles for £19.99
Both our local Lidl and Aldi had plenty of oils this last week when we were after flour :)

We plan to drive about ten miles to the next town and start with the Lidl and Aldi there and work our way through the various supermarkets on our way home until we find some.
Moorland Prepper

Got some bread flour at Lidl the other day - price increase by 50% though!