Power cut kit..

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
Yorkshire Andy

Power cut kit..

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Now this isn't everything :lol: gas Lanterns / cookers / heaters etc all live in the workshop... Including generators ) big solar panels but this is my basic in house kit

This lives in the draw in the bedroom. .

I've got a tool bag stuffed full
IMG_20220130_115215_790.jpg
Battery lights from the double sided taped backed push lights PIR sensor lights and a few random torches
IMG_20220130_115357_070.jpg
Pile of batteries fairly self explanatory got more but this is all held together easy to find...

Extra candles / candle holders matches and lighters (I've got candle lanterns pillar candles hurricane lanterns and more but again all in one place
IMG_20220130_115529_552.jpg
Head torches be it reading a book to walking round a dark house... Head lights give you both hands free

IMG_20220130_115632_954.jpg
Radios battery powered not counting the little dab one in the kitchen listen to the weather/ news / music ..
IMG_20220130_120933_458.jpg

Power backs big / small/ ones you can jump start a car with plus associated wires and cables
IMG_20220130_121119_759.jpg

Then emergency charging I've got a solar system bon the workshop and a caravan battery but if the power goes off I want to maximize power collection so to top up power banks I've got a few extra Chargers. .

IMG_20220130_121237_439.jpg
On top of that lot..

Led light bulbs and usb extension cables

Simple no frills lighting to reinforce night time lighting with the Philips life lights in the main areas

IMG_20220130_121424_924.jpg
Battery Lanterns safer than candles got at least 4 to hand I reall like the energiser one it takes aa or D cells and had a usb charging capability
IMG_20220130_121848_699.jpg
For cooking I've got the obsessive prepper collection from a little backpacker stove to Kelly kettle to solid fuel oven and all between

Extra fire extinguishers

Car chargers / generator/ hot water bottles inverters
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Stonecarver

Re: Power cut kit..

Post by Stonecarver »

That'll do :mrgreen:
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Stonecarver wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:21 pm That'll do :mrgreen:
Yep, that's about the only response to kit that's quite **that** comprehensive!

Kudos, Y/ Andy!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Very similar to my kit Yorkshire Andy. What wattage are the solar panels?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:18 pm Very similar to my kit Yorkshire Andy. What wattage are the solar panels?
The Lidl folding one is 13w

The white one is a eBay cheapie claiming 60w :lol: I'm somewhat what skeptical I wanted the cheap solar controller at act as a low power cut off for a little project ;)
Screenshot_20220201-090319.png

Got a usb power monitor somewhere when it turns up I'll have a play

I'll admit to ordering a bigger one it's arriving tomorrow as a somewhat Stealth prep it's the same width as our upstairs window sills few bits of Velcro and it'll sit flat almost invisible from the front and that gets sun from 10am at this time of year till about 3pm

diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

My god. You must have big drawers. If yull pardon the expression. :mrgreen:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:56 am
jansman wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:18 pm Very similar to my kit Yorkshire Andy. What wattage are the solar panels?
The Lidl folding one is 13w

The white one is a eBay cheapie claiming 60w :lol: I'm somewhat what skeptical I wanted the cheap solar controller at act as a low power cut off for a little project ;)

Screenshot_20220201-090319.png

Got a usb power monitor somewhere when it turns up I'll have a play

I'll admit to ordering a bigger one it's arriving tomorrow as a somewhat Stealth prep it's the same width as our upstairs window sills few bits of Velcro and it'll sit flat almost invisible from the front and that gets sun from 10am at this time of year till about 3pm
I have been looking at the 60 w job you have there too. I am not quite sure I understand the role of a charge controller though. I am looking at keeping portable power banks full and charging a and aaa batteries.Would it be advised to run through a control unit for that kit?

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:55 am

I have been looking at the 60 w job you have there too. I am not quite sure I understand the role of a charge controller though. I am looking at keeping portable power banks full and charging a and aaa batteries.Would it be advised to run through a control unit for that kit?

I'd hang fire . No way is that panel a 60 watt panel I'm guessing it's clever China marketing it's probably it's "model number" bit like the China 100,000mah power banks :lol: if it's 60w output I'll eat my hard hat and steel toe cap boots the 50w panel I have from a reputable supplier is about the size of a open broad sheet paper (2x A3 sheets of paper..

Usb wall chargers usually run for newer phones and similar at around 5v 2a. Giving 10w of power at the port

I'll find My trusty usb meter and have a play if the sun's out at the weekend...

The solar charge controller is pointless on such a small panel ... And it's got inbuilt usb outlets anyway

The solar controller on a bigger system is a must it controls the charge rate to the leisure battery From the panels preventing over charge AND over discharge at night if the battery voltage drops too low my shed roof set up can push out about 4a on a fair day

jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:14 pm
jansman wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:55 am

I'd hang fire . No way is that panel a 60 watt panel I'm guessing it's clever China marketing it's probably it's "model number" bit like the China 100,000mah power banks :lol: if it's 60w output I'll eat my hard hat and steel toe cap boots the 50w panel I have from a reputable supplier is about the size of a open broad sheet paper (2x A3 sheets of paper..

Usb wall chargers usually run for newer phones and similar at around 5v 2a. Giving 10w of power at the port

I'll find My trusty usb meter and have a play if the sun's out at the weekend...

The solar charge controller is pointless on such a small panel ... And it's got inbuilt usb outlets anyway

The solar controller on a bigger system is a must it controls the charge rate to the leisure battery From the panels preventing over charge AND over discharge at night if the battery voltage drops too low my shed roof set up can push out about 4a on a fair day
That’s made it clear .Thanks Andy. ;)

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:58 pm
That’s made it clear .Thanks Andy. ;)
If your after something more substantial I'd look at something like this photonic isn't the cheapest but we all know what Chinese tat is like on the bay ;)

£70 :shock: but you get a decent panel (I've got 2 of these on the shed roof and they've been working fine now for about 5 years..

but it's not angled the best hence I double up)

Add a old car battery or a cheap caravan battery and you've got a decent reserve and power supply

https://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/cat ... clips.html

I've got the slightly earlier charge controller but the new one has a inbuilt usb input
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12046&hilit=Solar+shed#p132313

I'm sure you can source a random 12v car / leisure / tractor / golf buggy battery ;)