Crime wave ... your plans.

How are you preparing
PreppingSu

Re: Crime wave ... your plans.

Post by PreppingSu »

We live up a long, dark driveway and the yard is very dark too. 4 properties here. The landlady has shutters on her downstairs windows.

We have installed a solar, sensor light by the garages and we are just about to install another sensor by the front door, connected to Philips Hue. We have also installed a camera which picks up movement into the yard.

No access from the front into the back garden, but I shall now review access from other ways as our security isn't as great out there as I guess, we've never felt the need.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Had a night away at my parents last night ate drank and was merry :lol: noticed their neighbor had added CCTV at a kings ransom by all accounts apparently it cost them a fortune mum bragging that their system installed by errm me cost them £150 ish and a Chinese and dad adds half a case of beer to the price :lol:

One thing that struck me was the white led lights they emit much like the average £5 led torch screwed to the wall :lol: dad stands next to me in looking over the fence. . What you doing? Well so far I can approach their house to point A B or C and get to the window / door / flat roof unseen .. and their intruder alarm isnt working .... How can you tell ? The bell box used to flash ... ..

My parents system uses Infa red LEDs which you can sort of see by the dull red glow but you can't really tell where it's looking especially with a couple of supplementary led illuminators it to me at least screams much better quality system as in its trying to be covert but overt enough to any Billy burgular once they get close up to notice the lights. .

Coupled with plastic prickly strip on the obvious entry points to prevent leaping over the gates or fences plus flood lights mounted at hight with "remote" pirs switching them to further generate "work" you can't just shove the light in the sky and it turn off the brackets are tight and the remote pir = it will keep coming on ..

Back home Mrs A was against the alarm system.... But having seen the footage of the attempted break in at my parents a couple of months ago she's now after CCTV :lol: I'm looking at several options we are renting so I can't go smashing 20mm holes through the walls to run the cables ... I'm looking at IP based cameras but there's lots of cheap tat out there ideally I'm looking at solar powered units then I've no need to get power to them in a house that's short of sockets :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

I mentioned to my husband last night that there is likely to be a huge increase in crime. We have CCTV, several PIR security lights front and back, an alarm which alerts me on my phone and a crunchy drive. Unfortunately we don't have a dog but do have dogs at either side which alert us and the neighbours to the postman, deliveries etc. I would like gates on the drive but it isn't doable at the moment. Ideally I would like some form of infra red beams criss crossing the outside of the house which would trigger an alarm and alert me if anyone walked through them, but I have probably been watching far too many films. We would have liked our neighbours to install CCTV too, but obviously this is their choice and one of them is too tight to bother and only installed a security light when somebody tried to pinch his car and was caught by the police after being picked up by our CCTV and others in the area.
Growing old disgracefully!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Medusa wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:10 pm I mentioned to my husband last night that there is likely to be a huge increase in crime. We have CCTV, several PIR security lights front and back, an alarm which alerts me on my phone and a crunchy drive. Unfortunately we don't have a dog but do have dogs at either side which alert us and the neighbours to the postman, deliveries etc. I would like gates on the drive but it isn't doable at the moment. Ideally I would like some form of infra red beams criss crossing the outside of the house which would trigger an alarm and alert me if anyone walked through them, but I have probably been watching far too many films. We would have liked our neighbours to install CCTV too, but obviously this is their choice and one of them is too tight to bother and only installed a security light when somebody tried to pinch his car and was caught by the police after being picked up by our CCTV and others in the area.
Drive alarms are fairly cheap but need mounting so every time a cat wanders in to crap in your stones you don't get a alert... Unless your packing a super soaker from the bedroom window ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Driveway-PHYSE ... 5653611011

Upto ones that will text you

https://gsm-activate.co.uk/product/gsm- ... TkQAvD_BwE

You can also get discriminating CCTV cameras now that alerts you to a human walking up the drive but ignores the cat 🐱
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:16 pm
Drive alarms are fairly cheap but need mounting so every time a cat wanders in to crap in your stones you don't get a alert... Unless your packing a super soaker from the bedroom window ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Driveway-PHYSE ... 5653611011

Upto ones that will text you

https://gsm-activate.co.uk/product/gsm- ... TkQAvD_BwE

You can also get discriminating CCTV cameras now that alerts you to a human walking up the drive but ignores the cat 🐱
Thanks Yorkshire Andy, now I know what they are called and that I don't need a second mortgage to install one, I might just look into getting one.
Growing old disgracefully!
Iceprep

Post by Iceprep »

We have recently installed solar movement spotlights, work well enough to alert us to a cat prowling on the garden.

We also have a Lab Puppy, she is 3 months old and hopefully will get over her fear of any other dog, bark, cat, shadow, movement etc and give some security.

I was considering getting a slingshot, but after a brief Google wondered if they were worth its it wouldn’t get used other than for practice and as a deterrent in a SHTF scenario.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Iceprep wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:36 pm We have recently installed solar movement spotlights, work well enough to alert us to a cat prowling on the garden.

We also have a Lab Puppy, she is 3 months old and hopefully will get over her fear of any other dog, bark, cat, shadow, movement etc and give some security.

I was considering getting a slingshot, but after a brief Google wondered if they were worth its it wouldn’t get used other than for practice and as a deterrent in a SHTF scenario.
Be aware of this: Using a slingshot ,or catapult ,to use the English term,
to hurt or deter an animal is illegal. It IS legal if you are using it to kill outright.Using it against a person is akin to using a firearm,and treated in the same way.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
British Red

Post by British Red »

I would agree. Using anything with a projectile ( or that looks like it will fire a projectile) as a threat, warning or deterrent is not a good idea. In the current world, it's likely to get you in legal hot water, in a WROL world it's likely to write a cheque that can't be cashed. Having played with, and enjoyed, catapults I would definitely say that they are great fun and for enjoyment - do it :D . Even as a way to fill the pot, there are better options.
jansman

Post by jansman »

British Red wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:42 pm I would agree. Using anything with a projectile ( or that looks like it will fire a projectile) as a threat, warning or deterrent is not a good idea. In the current world, it's likely to get you in legal hot water, in a WROL world it's likely to write a cheque that can't be cashed. Having played with, and enjoyed, catapults I would definitely say that they are great fun and for enjoyment - do it :D . Even as a way to fill the pot, there are better options.
:lol: Now that last line I will disagree with. I am Sh*t hot with a catapult,and I regularly take game when I fancy. Just about practice though.Mind you,my Remington 12 bore is good too. :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
British Red

Post by British Red »

I'll be honest and say that I'm not that good with a catapult - although I've seen people who are much better than me.

My point though, is that a good air rifle will, in my opinion, get more game, more reliably, at longer range for a lower ammunition price.

We are lucky - I had my first FAC 45 years ago so have had time to buy and learn to shoot all sorts of interesting things, but, if I'm honest with myself, I've put more food on the table with my old Webley air rifle and 410 single barrel than I have with all my more modern and higher powered stuff ;)

ImageRabbit by British Red, on Flickr