Crime wave ... your plans.

How are you preparing
Vitamin c

Crime wave ... your plans.

Post by Vitamin c »

On lbc radios morning show yesterday one caller expressed his view on food/ fuel inflation by saying he would not go without and get what he needed shoplifting was mentioned and if we look back in recent history everytime Britain has had a recession crime has shot up with grim reports of price rises the worst in 30 years it's only fair to expect a rise in crime .
This will hit us all somehow from shoplifting to mugging to burglary and I guess lots more of those cash my gold sell your goods for peanuts shops to open.
Do you have plans for a rise in crime and maybe different types of crime ie stealing from allotments or your garden those spuds look tasty to a hungry opportunistic crook.
With a under funded under manned police service how you going to cope.
Fill er up jacko...
jennyjj01

Re: Crime wave ... your plans.

Post by jennyjj01 »

Vitamin c wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:57 am On lbc radios morning show yesterday one caller expressed his view on food/ fuel inflation by saying he would not go without and get what he needed shoplifting was mentioned and if we look back in recent history everytime Britain has had a recession crime has shot up with grim reports of price rises the worst in 30 years it's only fair to expect a rise in crime .
This will hit us all somehow from shoplifting to mugging to burglary and I guess lots more of those cash my gold sell your goods for peanuts shops to open.
Do you have plans for a rise in crime and maybe different types of crime ie stealing from allotments or your garden those spuds look tasty to a hungry opportunistic crook.
With a under funded under manned police service how you going to cope.
It has always been this way. This is the exact nature of societal breakdown that we prep for: Discussed from time to time as a 'long slow burn' An entangled web of crime, poverty, inflation,public opinion, etc.
Right now, we perceive inflation about to run away. If it does, we know what to expect is a vicious circle of poverty and crime.
It's a decay process that accelerates but we seldom look at any one event or moment in time and say that's where it began. We just wake up one day and we realise that we are in the hell that we always dreaded.
What do we do? Prepare and adapt and try to stay ahead of the curve. Be the first house to get good locks and security lights, the first house to have trained first aiders, the first house to have some situational awareness and plans..... And food supplies: Preps!

We cant stop societal breakdown, but we can act on our instincts to not get floored by it. Best we can do.

Being optimistic, for once... Sometimes things improve and we enter boom periods where wealth and prosperity and economic growth just comes from nowhere and trickle down to all of us. We probably would not recognise that immediately either. Did we all see the boom in 2021? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57008220
Me neither.

Keep Calm and Carry On Prepping

Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I'm a member of a facebook group , van and tool theft ,and a couple of things stand out. Firstly prosecutions aren't very common and secondly that if the criminals want to they will. The group has reports and pictures of vans with doors peeled , roofs cut open or even some where body panels and engines have been removed plus of course some stolen outright. If someone wants to gain entry to a vehicle or home then they will , all we can do is to try and make it more awkward or risky for them.
Personally I think the best track is to try not to make a statement of wealth , don't be flashy , don't try to seem attractive . A shiney new car might be nice but it makes it's owners look better off than someone with a ten year old rustbucket on the drive. My own house has a "could look better" aspect to it. The garden on the front has largely herbs , chard , jeresalem artichokes and even an almond tree all useful stuff but I think to mostjust looking like weeds in an otherwise unkempt garden. I'm in twominds about cameras , lights and burglar alarms. I have the former two and an alarm box that is just that , a box but I do wonder if it makes it seem as if we have something worth nicking.
If the police can't cope I wonder if we will see a rise in vigilantism?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

grenfell wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:00 am If someone wants to gain entry to a vehicle or home then they will , all we can do is to try and make it more awkward or risky for them.

Personally I think the best track is to try not to make a statement of wealth , don't be flashy , don't try to seem attractive .

I'm in two minds about cameras , lights and burglar alarms. I have the former two and an alarm box that is just that , a box but I do wonder if it makes it seem as if we have something worth nicking.
If the police can't cope I wonder if we will see a rise in vigilantism?
All good points. Certainly security lights seem useless as a deterrent. Billy burglar may or may not fear cameras. Even good locks might make a target look worthy of attention.
Whatever happened to neighbourhood watch?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Smudge

Post by Smudge »

Masks are common place now, even though we've been told we don't need too... thieves don't fear cameras, they may have been wary before but now not so much.

Petty crime will increase, that's a given you have something someone wants or can sell to get what they want... if they're desperate or mean enough, well

My cars old and tatty but runs and gets me too and from work, I don't flash cash or jewellery my watches are basic and plain, G-Shock g100 and Lorus Lumbrite I wear depending on activity, no dress watch, my phone is a basic Andriod about 4yrs old again not flash.

I was reading a thread on a yank site recently "I was the victim of violent crime, again" or some such it was the again that drew me in...
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

It's a good point ... doing what I can for the house, of course, as for walking on the street, there are little things to be done. The way you carry your bag - not dangling from your shoulder, but across your body; not on the side of you that's next to the road; have your stuff distributed around your body if possible.

When I worked in London, a guy who lived in Brixton was celebrating on a weekday night, and was robbed just after midnight (so, one lesson is, don't be there :lol: ) he'd put his wallet in the front pocket of his trousers, but the guy mugging him came at him from the front while two other muggers were at the back of my friend, reached into his trouser pockets and pulled. His trousers were destroyed :shock: no coppers in Brixton at night in those days, getting home was a problem.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

I believe it all depends on upon how bad it gets we have all seen boom and bust cycles with boom and bust crime levels but if you believe the press coverage this will be a lot harder hitting.
If folk are hungry / cold with no hope of a way out and of course add children to the mix .
God only knows what that could lead to.
Fill er up jacko...
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Smudge wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:46 am thieves don't fear cameras, they may have been wary before but now not so much.
Indeed. There are career thieves and burglars for whom getting caught is all in a days work. Want entry to a house? Lob a brick through the window. Want that package from that doorstep? Just walk up and take it?

And even clever thieves can be pretty dumb: Niece had her oldish BMW taken off the drive. God alone knows how. But it was found when the scrotes a few streets away tried to sell it as is?!?!
Of course, nobody got arrested.

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Only good thing about lights and alarms is it alerts you if your home / in bed

Going back a number of years I was awoken in my room by the bright light shining up into the window.... The little crack head and his mate had shoved the flood light upward trying to disable the PIR light (shove it up leave it a minute it goes off continue in the dark). Unfortunately the PIR was fixed plus it was set for 5 minutes not like most that flash on and off like a lighthouse :lol:

Looked out of tilt and turn fire escape window slowly opened it and let's just say they run off very very quickly as we dont discuss weapons... I did used to do lots of rabbiting and ratting however :lol:

Same with the alarm the workshop has shock sensors which make a din before anyone gets in minimising damage ..

If they want to be In they will be but little changes which dont stand out ts007 *** euro locks in double glazed doors

Secure gates let them feel cornered auto closing and latching front gates really put them off as the gate slammed shut and the sound of the catch puts them on edge immediately

Keeping valuable items out of sight

Having a shed door with a slightly bigger lock than next doors and bolting the hinges through or fitting security screws
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:46 pm Only good thing about lights and alarms is it alerts you if your home / in bed

Going back a number of years I was awoken in my room by the bright light shining up into the window.... The little crack head and his mate had shoved the flood light upward trying to disable the PIR light (shove it up leave it a minute it goes off continue in the dark). Unfortunately the PIR was fixed plus it was set for 5 minutes not like most that flash on and off like a lighthouse :lol:

Looked out of tilt and turn fire escape window slowly opened it and let's just say they run off very very quickly as we dont discuss weapons... I did used to do lots of rabbiting and ratting however :lol:

Same with the alarm the workshop has shock sensors which make a din before anyone gets in minimising damage ..

If they want to be In they will be but little changes which dont stand out ts007 *** euro locks in double glazed doors

Secure gates let them feel cornered auto closing and latching front gates really put them off as the gate slammed shut and the sound of the catch puts them on edge immediately

Keeping valuable items out of sight

Having a shed door with a slightly bigger lock than next doors and bolting the hinges through or fitting security screws
All of the above. My yard/ garden is very well illuminated.However, a previously mentioned attempted burglary was foiled because I was woken by the lights.The scumbags were NOT a bit bothered,and the obvious cameras ( and obligatory warning sign) and alarm box held no fear for them. After that ,better gates and -shall I say- perimeter security were an obvious improvement.

It’s a given that when times are hard,crime goes up.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.