Matches VS cigarette lighters.

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
grenfell

Re: Matches VS cigarette lighters.

Post by grenfell »

Vitamin c wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:42 pm Any views on the electronic lighters can (if empty ) you use the spark to light tinder.
Not sure about tinder but I've used an empty one to light the propane torch so i see no reason why it can't be used , after all a spark is what a flint and steel provides.
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

we have both in the man drawer in the back kitchen,boxes of cooks matches and packets of lighters,along with a tin of lighter gas under the sink as i buy refillable lighters but being a smoker i always have a lighter or two in my pocket at all times,and as for lighting a fire i always remember my mother but pour the fat out the frying pan into a jar and once cooled down would scoop some fat out to help start the fire to save on firelighters
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

ARgh, too much choice, that's three sorts of lighter equipment just in those two posts :shock: I have matches, battery/wire wool, plus some fire steels ... given the way my hands are, I'll discount the fire steels, so I only have two methods, if the usual gas stove is off. Hmmm. Okay, of those listed, the long refillable ones that Red mentioned, and the blowtorch like piece of kit that jansman's wife likes, those are the ones for me :) do they have the same fuel evaporation problem as zippos?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:22 pm ARgh, too much choice, that's three sorts of lighter equipment just in those two posts :shock: I have matches, battery/wire wool, plus some fire steels ... given the way my hands are, I'll discount the fire steels, so I only have two methods, if the usual gas stove is off. Hmmm. Okay, of those listed, the long refillable ones that Red mentioned, and the blowtorch like piece of kit that jansman's wife likes, those are the ones for me :) do they have the same fuel evaporation problem as zippos?
No.The turbo lighters are just like any other modern ones.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:50 pm
Arzosah wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:22 pm Okay, of those listed, the long refillable ones that Red mentioned, and the blowtorch like piece of kit that jansman's wife likes, those are the ones for me :) do they have the same fuel evaporation problem as zippos?
No.The turbo lighters are just like any other modern ones.
Excellent, thanks jansman - I'll hunt some online :)
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I like matches for things like my alcohol stoves, camp fires and lighting the priming on pressure lamps, basically things you need to stuff a flame down into.

Lighters for gas stoves, blow torches and most other jobs (heat sealing paracord and plastic ropes for example).

Flint&Steel for when I'm showing off :oops:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:33 pm I like matches for things like my alcohol stoves, camp fires and lighting the priming on pressure lamps, basically things you need to stuff a flame down into.

Lighters for gas stoves, blow torches and most other jobs (heat sealing paracord and plastic ropes for example).

Another valued take on the subject.I must admit ,the odd times I light my frost protecting hurricane lamp in the outside loo,a match is easier to do it with.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I do somewhere have a zippo . I say somewhere because not being a smoker it got very infrequent use and was nearly always dry by the time I came to use it so it ended up being shoved in a drawer and left. As said they aren't a fill and forget item but they have left me wondering if they have more disadvantages than advantages . Even if used daily they still require constant topping up and I'm left thinking more fuel is lost through evaporation than by actual burning.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:56 pm
ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:33 pm I like matches for things like my alcohol stoves, camp fires and lighting the priming on pressure lamps, basically things you need to stuff a flame down into.

Another valued take on the subject.I must admit ,the odd times I light my frost protecting hurricane lamp in the outside loo,a match is easier to do it with.

These make life easier refillable too

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Long-Reach-Cli ... 5820&psc=1
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Cocotte

Post by Cocotte »

When I read "electronic lighter" I was thinking of a plasma lighter. No gas needed just plug in a USB and it creates a small channel of plasma in which to light from.
I've got one of those, dozens of butane, a zipper, a garden propane weed scorcher, boxes of matches and ...
Ahem.
I only like fire the normal amount...