Wetland advantages

Homes and Retreats
British Red

Wetland advantages

Post by British Red »

One of the big downsides of living in the fens are migratory wildfowl - see the current bird flu restrictions !

One of the big upsides of living in the fens are - migratory wildfowl. Across Autumn and Winter, we are surrounded by vast numbers of ducks, geese etc.

The inland season ended two weeks ago. The tidal season ends on the 20th.

To enjoy the wild bounty, it's crispy duck day ;)

For two of us, half a decent sized duck is enough - skin scored and rubbed with five spice

ImagePrepped duck by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Three hours on a low heat, turning each hour, then paint with honey and half an hour with a few logs on ( medium heat) to crisp up

ImageCooked duck by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Shred up the duck, make some wraps using windmill flour (another fen advantage), home canned plum sauce, home grown spring onion ( they stay alive happily all Winter, whilst not putting on much growth). The cucumber is, sadly, shop bought. I could have manage pickled but can't keep cucumbers alive all Winter.

Super easy, super cheap. Less than a quid all in :)

ImageCrispy duck pancake by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Red
British Red

Re: Wetland advantages

Post by British Red »

Missed a picture there somehow :roll:

ImageCrispy duck by English Countrylife, on Flickr
Zedsdead

Post by Zedsdead »

Quality! Done a bit of fowling in the past. I enjoyed it! Mainly pigeons for me atm though
British Red

Post by British Red »

Pigeons are crazy here. Shoot one, five come to the funeral! A neighbour makes fantastic pigeon and rabbit lasagne (with a bit of pork fat in the mincer). She wanted a lot for a party recently and has traditional game hooks at the back door. I honestly didn't bother wing shooting, just shot them roosting with a PCP air rifle. Took her four each night for a week and left them outside after 7 days she asked me to stop :lol: . There's not even any point with decoys - they come in 200 at a time :shock: No sport in it but it's free food any time it's needed.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

You star, Red :lol: I love that you work hard to make it tasty :)