Heating one room ?

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: Heating one room ?

Post by diamond lil »

At least we've got all summer to prepare. Work things out and decide what to do.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Very true, Lil. We're going to have to work out some new/old ways of doing things.

Those pull cord radiant electric heaters in the bathroom! OMG, we got one of those when I was about 12, we thought it was the height of luxury :lol: they didn't get central heating until at least 5 years after I left home.
British Red

Post by British Red »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:15 pm

Those pull cord radiant electric heaters in the bathroom! OMG, we got one of those when I was about 12, we thought it was the height of luxury :lol:
Compared to a freezing bathroom, they were!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

And we had nice big towels, that my mum and dad got for a wedding present, they were nice too :lol:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

British Red wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:18 pm
Arzosah wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:15 pm

Those pull cord radiant electric heaters in the bathroom! OMG, we got one of those when I was about 12, we thought it was the height of luxury :lol:
Compared to a freezing bathroom, they were!

As the polystyrene ceiling tiles started to drip onto the reflector of the heater :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
British Red

Post by British Red »

Dripping onto varnished cork tiled floor....
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

diamond lil wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:08 pm At least we've got all summer to prepare. Work things out and decide what to do.
Europe: "Europe independent of Russian fossil fuels by 2030, "

Putin's crony: "We are fully entitled to take a “mirror” decision and place an embargo on gas transit via Nord Stream 1 which is presently running at 100 percent capacity. "

A real and present danger.
They only need to turn off Nordstream 1 for a day to totally split the EU and make a point...

... Why wouldn't they? Lack of revenue? Whoop de doo. That's just an accounting technicality.

Everything about this unfolding saga has been well signalled in advance and needed minimal foresight to anticipate!

Credit where it's due. Putin has the initiative.

What next? "Behave yourself Russia or we won't buy your wheat". Russia : "Munch munch. Are you hungry yet?"
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Time to start buying extra thick curtains and curtain rails.

Pictures down, wall hangings up.

https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/beau ... YsEALw_wcB

Add a curtain liner to the above and another Thermal layer added to the wall.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Great idea pseud, I can do that on my outside wall :mrgreen:
jansman

Post by jansman »

I must sound like a caveman,but we have only ever heated one room at a time. Ever.Right now Mrs J is in the bathroom,and the infrared panel is on. I am typing this in front of the stove. As a lad,we had no central heating.When we moved here,we did,but we never used it ( I used to check it worked twice a year) as my wife came from a home that was stiflingly hot ,and gas central heating was on full- bore,and never a window open. She has always been a real Fresh- Air lover as a result. When we visit the very elderly in- laws ,you cannot breathe in there,and that can be in Summer! Even the nurse who visits dad tells them to open some windows!

Also let me dispel the myth that a house without central heating gets damp. It’s about opening windows and doors and getting some air through. Mankind was not meant to live in a sealed box.A house is a shelter from the elements,and mankind was an outdoor beast! Was.

We don’t go cold. However,we wear clothes. Right now, ‘ lounge - wear’ :lol: socks ( I hate slippers,and prefer bare- foot as I wear boots most of the day, but Mrs J wears them), and a thin fleece or dressing gown.It’s really no hardship. :lol:

I feel that we will look back at our 50 ish year love affair with gas central heating in years to come,with a view that it was something of a luxury.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.