Heating one room ?

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Heating one room ?

Post by diamond lil »

I'm wondering if it would be cheaper buying a wee electric heater and using it to heat only my livingroom, instead of firing up the gas to heat the whole house. The main prob I think is that elect heaters just heat when they're on, not sure how long that heat lasts. Always had a coal fire before. Anybody know?
Jerseyspud

Re: Heating one room ?

Post by Jerseyspud »

i dont have central heating in my house at all (thanks states of jersey) so i have storage heaters downstairs and panel heaters upstairs, which i refuse to use because they are so expensive.

So i heat the lounge with a storage heater and the bottom of the stairs leading into the lounge. Usually upstairs we would have an oil radiator in the kids rooms but this year haven't bothered

So we just have lots of blankets and jumpers.

If you are going to go for an electric power heater in the lounge, get an oil radiator. They keep the heat for longer and are cheaper to run
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Oh that's an idea, I once had one of those. Thanks 8-)
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

To some extent it depends what your home is made of.
Stone/brick walls and concrete floors take a long time to warm up and also to cool down. So you spend money warming them up but it lasts after the heater turns off since the walls work like storage heaters.
Meanwhile a modern type of heavily insulated house just warms the air so it heats up quickly and cheaply but it cools down as soon as someone opens the door or window
Heavy door and window curtains will help in a modern house. For stone walls and modern heating you could try insulating the walls with wall hangings and using thick carpet/rugs on a concrete floor
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

In the future I see whole families in one room during winter including sleeping in their .

My mother and father after ww2 lived in one room in a house that was Shawn up because of bomb damage theye had 2 children before the council housed them .
Other families lived in the other rooms.
Fill er up jacko...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Problem heating one room the second you open the doors all the heat goes out..

The new infrared panel heaters look interesting but I've not played with one..

https://www.thegreenage.co.uk/tech/infr ... ng-panels/
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

We have no central heating - our choice - and rooms are heated as we live in them. For instance,we have an infra red panel in the bathroom.600w,and it heats immediately. Infrared warms YOU not the air ,a bit like sunshine does. It is perfect for the job,so when you step out of the shower,you are warm. Leave the bathroom,turn it off. It means the window can be cracked open to avoid damp too,with no loss of heat on your body. We have another panel in the small back bedroom,and against the small sofa we use. That one works well when you are in the room and don’t want to light the stove. In that same room is a wall mounted panel radiator for back up if needed. There is another radiator in the front room for the same reason.In our bedroom is a wall mounted radiator too.

Fortunately,our house is all small rooms with doors,so heat can be maintained.It works for us ,but wouldn’t for everyone. We are tough country kids,and my wife has a penchant for a lot of fresh air through the house ,be it Summer or Winter. :lol:

UNfortunately,electricity is more expensive than gas right now,so the choice of heating has to be balanced with economic considerations. Upon saying that,when our central heating packed up ( long story) we decided upon our current path. In the future,I suspect that we will look back upon gas central heating as a one- time gig, that only lasted for 50 years or so as mainstream heating.

We have two oil filled radiators as emergency heating ( for when the kids’ heating packs up) and they do hold heat.However,they take power to come up to temperature. For instant heat,a ten quid fan heater is ,literally,instant. We have one in the Summerhouse and it does the business.So either way, you’ll spend the same. What you need to do is to look at your electricity tariff,and find out how much you pay per Kilowatt hour. The standard heater tends to be 1 kw ,2 kw etc. So we are now paying 21.40 p per kWh. If we put a panel radiator on at 1 kw,it will cost 21.40 per hour. If we put it on 2kw,it will cost 42.80 p per hour to run .I am sure you understand this already ,but my wife didn’t - and she teaches mathematics! :lol: That costing doesn’t allow for the standing charge,but we have to pay that anyway.

There’s no simple answer in the current climate ( forgive the pun). We burn solid fuel. At the moment,we don’t pay for wood ,but that could easily change. We do pay for coal . As we are at work most of the time, we light the stove from 4 pm until bedtime. That equates to 38p per hour in coal. Nothing is cheap now.

I hope that helps in some way.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

House is 30 yrs old, mix of stone walls and thin plasterboard. I'm taking notes on what you all say, ty. Will look at fan heaters and panel heaters now.
Jansman - or anybody else who can work these things out - what is cheaper? This is what we're on just now:
ELECT : 25.86p/kWh
GAS : 6.26p/kWh
Obv the gas is cheaper but I think gas heating uses a lot of elect too in the pump etc? So should I add the gas & elect cost together per hour the heating is on then?
I'm sorry to be dense here - for 40 years we've had coal open fires and am just not used to this :cry:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:37 pm House is 30 yrs old, mix of stone walls and thin plasterboard. I'm taking notes on what you all say, ty. Will look at fan heaters and panel heaters now.
Jansman - or anybody else who can work these things out - what is cheaper? This is what we're on just now:
ELECT : 25.86p/kWh
GAS : 6.26p/kWh
Obv the gas is cheaper but I think gas heating uses a lot of elect too in the pump etc? So should I add the gas & elect cost together per hour the heating is on then?
I'm sorry to be dense here - for 40 years we've had coal open fires and am just not used to this :cry:

If you Google the make and model of the boiler electric consumption should be listed..

Ours uses 101w when the pump is running so about 1kwh for 10 hours running of elec
Screenshot_20220308-174933.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Oh there's an idea ta xx It's a VIEMANN vitodens 050 and there's a huge thick handbook up on the shelf above it..