Garden activity

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
British Red

Re: Garden activity

Post by British Red »

The early seed grown San Marzano tomatoes are doing particularly well so I potted on the largest this morning

ImageSan Marzano tomatoes by English Countrylife, on Flickr

They already need "pinching out"

ImageTomato pinch by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Potted the largest of them on for an early harvest. The 3" pots could take more root development but I wanted them to have more nutrients and moisture than the small pots offer to stop them stress flowering

ImageTomato roots by English Countrylife, on Flickr

First Early spuds are nicely chitted so time to break out the home made compost

ImageComposter emptied by English Countrylife, on Flickr

We honestly couldn't do what we do if we had to pay for shop compost, and it sits much better with us to turn "waste" into a useful commodity. If lockdown taught us anything, it's not to rely on shops for seeds, compost or fertiliser

ImageHome made compost by English Countrylife, on Flickr

We collect old sacks ( ours and the neighbours) from feed and whatever the neighbours have. Cut a few holes and that's the planting. Unroll a couple of rolls to earth up.

ImagePotatoes in sack by English Countrylife, on Flickr

We will start them in one greenhouse for a very early crop but they will move to a poly tunnel for warmth and blight protection

ImageFirst early potatoes by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Spring onions and cucumbers are coming on nicely and started the early squash and pumpkins today. It's really feeling like Spring
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

I've got some King Edwards chitting nicely and they'll be in the soil in the next week. Tom seeds are doing their thing, this year I've gone for Sweet Million, Aperitif, Shriley and Veranda Red. I first grew Veranda Red last year, they are a determinate variety so no real trimming needed; they produce beautiful tasting cherry toms and happily grow outdoors in smaller pots, I was very impressed with them not only for the taste but because not one seed failed to germinate.

If your using tomato grow bags its well worth buying 'halo' rings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taevuJp ... nofthesoil

they work well with cucumbers and aubergines too.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
jansman

Post by jansman »

British Red wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:39 pm The early seed grown San Marzano tomatoes are doing particularly well so I potted on the largest this morning

ImageSan Marzano tomatoes by English Countrylife, on Flickr

They already need "pinching out"

ImageTomato pinch by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Potted the largest of them on for an early harvest. The 3" pots could take more root development but I wanted them to have more nutrients and moisture than the small pots offer to stop them stress flowering

ImageTomato roots by English Countrylife, on Flickr

First Early spuds are nicely chitted so time to break out the home made compost

ImageComposter emptied by English Countrylife, on Flickr

We honestly couldn't do what we do if we had to pay for shop compost, and it sits much better with us to turn "waste" into a useful commodity. If lockdown taught us anything, it's not to rely on shops for seeds, compost or fertiliser

ImageHome made compost by English Countrylife, on Flickr

We collect old sacks ( ours and the neighbours) from feed and whatever the neighbours have. Cut a few holes and that's the planting. Unroll a couple of rolls to earth up.

ImagePotatoes in sack by English Countrylife, on Flickr

We will start them in one greenhouse for a very early crop but they will move to a poly tunnel for warmth and blight protection

ImageFirst early potatoes by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Spring onions and cucumbers are coming on nicely and started the early squash and pumpkins today. It's really feeling like Spring
Tommies look good brother. Mine are about 50% behind thst size.Gardeners Delight.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
British Red

Post by British Red »

Thanks! Those we've kept on a warm South facing windowsill and germinated in a heated propagator in January. The greenhouse ones are smaller. I'll be honest and say I'm now sick of Winter veg' & longing for the first fresh tomatoes. We have some nice greenhouse lettuces which help and the non stop Spring Onions but I want fresh peppers, tomatoes etc. so I'm trying to force these as much as I can.
jansman

Post by jansman »

British Red wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:31 pm Thanks! Those we've kept on a warm South facing windowsill and germinated in a heated propagator in January. The greenhouse ones are smaller. I'll be honest and say I'm now sick of Winter veg' & longing for the first fresh tomatoes. We have some nice greenhouse lettuces which help and the non stop Spring Onions but I want fresh peppers, tomatoes etc. so I'm trying to force these as much as I can.
I generally start mine in January,and keep them heated. However,with the cost of electricity and paraffin as it is,this year I have started mine ( as usual) in the heated propagator,but much later,and after transplanting,into a cold frame within the tunnel. It’s worked well. We too have overwintering lettuce ,which is filling a gap.

Robert Frost.

Me.
British Red

Post by British Red »

We are trying to use the propagators just for germination, then maximise windowsill space. That said we have to move stuff out to the greenhouses as it grows - and then of course it slows down :roll: . Trying to improve my squash harvest this year and am going to build a couple of huge earth clamps just for interest. We sand clamp a lot but I need to improve the unpowered preserving & unpowered propagation too!
jansman

Post by jansman »

British Red wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:46 pm We are trying to use the propagators just for germination, then maximise windowsill space. That said we have to move stuff out to the greenhouses as it grows - and then of course it slows down :roll: . Trying to improve my squash harvest this year and am going to build a couple of huge earth clamps just for interest. We sand clamp a lot but I need to improve the unpowered preserving & unpowered propagation too!
We are using our power in the same way.We grow enough Winter squash to cover us. I cure it in the sun for a few days,then store it on wood shelving in the usual cool ,dark place. Last one was eaten three weeks ago.

Robert Frost.

Me.
British Red

Post by British Red »

What varieties do you favour for squash out of interest? I grow a lot of pumpkin and butternut but struggle to keep them past February unless frozen or canned
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

British Red wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:04 pm What varieties do you favour for squash out of interest? I grow a lot of pumpkin and butternut but struggle to keep them past February unless frozen or canned
Is it just me that has no concept of what squash and pumpkins taste like? if this is an easy grow, high food value food, is it time to discover them?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
British Red

Post by British Red »

Pumpkins as an example are stunning. Make a fabulous rich & creamy soup, cubed and roasted they are really good and, if you have a little time, pumpkin ravioli is outstanding - luscious melt in the mouth taste. A very few plants produce a vast amount of food. We grew the giant pumpkins one year. One pumpkin alone weighed over 70 pounds :shock: . Those are a bit impractical though so now we grow football sized Jack o Lanterns. Excellent food for very little effort, but you need some space.