Garden activity

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Re: Garden activity

Post by jansman »

British Red wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:04 pm What varieties do you favour for squash out of interest? I grow a lot of pumpkin and butternut but struggle to keep them past February unless frozen or canned
Old fashioned marrows and our favourite- spaghetti marrow. A wonderful vegetable that literally has a spaghetti- like texture. We dice it into my wife’s all- time favourite; spicy lamb stew ( it’s actually a primary ingredient) - a meal that my wife credits her rapid recovery from cancer to! Praise indeed. It’s a rambling plant and takes a lot of space. I let it grow up the fences and into the fruit trees. A sight to see.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:14 pm
British Red wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:04 pm What varieties do you favour for squash out of interest? I grow a lot of pumpkin and butternut but struggle to keep them past February unless frozen or canned
Is it just me that has no concept of what squash and pumpkins taste like? if this is an easy grow, high food value food, is it time to discover them?
Yes, do. Buy a butternut squash, find some recipes and discover!

Robert Frost.

Me.
British Red

Post by British Red »

jansman wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:43 pm
our favourite- spaghetti marrow. A wonderful vegetable that literally has a spaghetti- like texture.
How well does it keep in a cool building?
jansman

Post by jansman »

British Red wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:13 pm
jansman wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:43 pm
our favourite- spaghetti marrow. A wonderful vegetable that literally has a spaghetti- like texture.
How well does it keep in a cool building?
Very well. The last two of our 20 harvested started to soften up at the end of February, which I diced and froze.

Robert Frost.

Me.
British Red

Post by British Red »

Good info, thanks
jansman

Post by jansman »

You are welcome.

Robert Frost.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I have growen the Anna Swartz hubbard squash from Real Seeds and found that it keeps well - just sitting in my kitchen veg rack all winter The only problem is that i am still learning when it comes to squash growing and do not always get as many squash as i would like.

Has anyone tried growing Trombocino and know how they perform as squash/ i know they can be used as courgettes when young but my efforts last year came to naught. They rambled along the fence between us and next door setting fruit and then next door's son decided to apply the mass destruction rule of "gardening" and strimmed the lot! I ike the idea of growing them vertically to get the best out of my limited space.
British Red

Post by British Red »

Out of interest do you hand pollinate your squash? I find it made an enormous difference to growing pumpkins once I figured the difference between male and female flowers!
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I will give that a try this year! Anything that helps me get more produce is worth a try.
jansman

Post by jansman »

British Red wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:24 pm Out of interest do you hand pollinate your squash? I find it made an enormous difference to growing pumpkins once I figured the difference between male and female flowers!
Occasionally I do. I keep an eye when the plants flower to check the females are fertilised,but as I grow lots of flowers in and around,as well as wigwams of Borlotti beans,there are usually plenty of pollinators flying around.

Robert Frost.

Me.