What are the best meat cans to buy in uk?

How are you preparing
hewking102

What are the best meat cans to buy in uk?

Post by hewking102 »

hi All
Could you please help me and suggest what are the best meat cans to buy in uk?
I am so glad i found this forum!
Regards
pseudonym

Re: What are the best meat cans to buy in uk?

Post by pseudonym »

Could you please post an introduction post here:

viewforum.php?f=9

as requested in the Forum Rules.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

hewking102 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:41 am hi All
Regards
To answer your question, you need to ask:

What do you normally eat?

Have you tried any canned Meat/Fish?

Have you a way to heat said contents?

Have you a means to improve the flavour?

Hot sauce can be your friend. :mrgreen:

British Red

Post by British Red »

The answer is clearly "bacon grill" :mrgreen:
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

British Red wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:28 am The answer is clearly "bacon grill" :mrgreen:
You're not wrong. :mrgreen:

But, canned chicken breast chopped up and added to a sachet of Knorr chicken noodle soup is a hearty meal.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Fried spam & scrambled eggs
jansman

Post by jansman »

Co op luncheon meat for me. Very edible,and is also excellent fishing bait! :lol: Any South American corned dog , tinned sardines are lovely,and my wife is partial to tinned hot dog sausage. And of course ,bacon grill!
Its two years ago ,Sunday,that we had to self- isolate with Covid symptoms. We couldn't get a Tesco delivery,and we hit the stored grub.When we ain't working,we always have a cooked breakfast.Thebacon grill was a champ! Tinned mushrooms came in handy too.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Agreed with the bacon grill and spam nice stuff. That pek in the picture is worth it too.
Flip side , i find some of the cheaper( and to a slightly lesser degree ) tinned fish in brine tends to lose it's flavour over time . I normally try to buy it tinned in oil. The only issue I've had with fish is the tinned anchovies from lidl. I like to keep a stash but have had a few tins start to bulge. I've only lost one that I didn't catch in time and it just smelt wrong but something to keep an eye on.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

hewking102 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:41 am hi All
Regards
Hi and welcome.
It all depends on your priorities for said meat? With my objective of stashing some value for money protein for major food disruption, I went for low price per kilo as my main criterium. But it was with mixed success.

Generalising: Explore Lidl and Aldi. Consider ideal can sizes for your situation. Biggest is often NOT best value for money.

Calculate the cost per Kg and compare like for like. Pay attention to potential BBE date issues.

Luncheon Meats: There's so much rubbish. Don't ask what goes into it.
Princes is one of the most common brands of medium to modest quality with matching price.
Chicken in White sauce: Always look at the percentage meat on the label. Typically 34% to 45%. Sainsbury's is good but expensive. Some uses Brazillian chicken which is reared inhumanely. Do you care?
Stewing steak pie fillings etc: Check the ingredients.
Corned Beef: Always LONG shelf life, but there are surprising differences in quality. E.g. You can tell Asda home brand corned beef from Princes, just by looking at the layer of fat. So buy one tin of each candidate and sample them.
Meatballs in sauce: Tesco's Everyday Value meatballs are bloody awful and strongly laxative. Beware anything made from Mechanically recovered meat (MRM)
Various Bacon Grills: Again, there's much diversity in quality. Lidl's is pretty good, but they don't always stock it. Tulip brand from Tesco is a bit pants.
Pek Pork: This is often one of the cheapest meat products. Totally disgusting pigs' Ar5es.
Morrison's canned chicken. Very good, but somewhat expensive. Tiny tins.
If you want absolute cheapest meat protein: Buy hot dog sausages in jars. Tins usually have too much water. They're MRM Chicken or pork or 'other'

Give some thought to meat substitutes or padders. Holland and Barratt savoury soya mince is good and you can pad fresh meat out discretely. Plus it lasts forever.

Also give thought to Fish. Come good fish deals in Home Bargain or Iceland.

Now. back to you? Why the focus on meat?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

pseudonym wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:31 am
British Red wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:28 am The answer is clearly "bacon grill" :mrgreen:
You're not wrong. :mrgreen:

But, canned chicken breast chopped up and added to a sachet of Knorr chicken noodle soup is a hearty meal.
Indeed, whatever you buy, try it in a meal. Make your next sweet and sour pork etc with your chosen pork product. Does it work? Make your carbonara with bacon grill instead of pancetta. Does that work. Etc. Etc.

As Pseudonym says. With your stacks of tinned meat, stock up some flavourings such as oxo or sauces.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong