What are the best meat cans to buy in uk?

How are you preparing
jennyjj01

Re: What are the best meat cans to buy in uk?

Post by jennyjj01 »

GillyBee wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:35 pm we mostly have fish in stock - salmon, tuna steaks and pilchards and some tinned ham. (Tuna flake is usualy just mush while the tuna steak is more like I remember the flakes being)
Speaking of tinned fish...... Does anyone have strong opinions about which fish is better value for money. There seems much disparity and many offers where cans are bundled in 3 to 6 cans to obscure the price. And quality varies so very much even within one brand.

Tuna Flakes in oil or brine, are almost always mush or mostly liquid. There's a few no drain variants which are expensive. Then there's boneless and skinless. But prices are insane at often £4 for a small tin of salmon.

Who's a fan of John West, and who raves about Princes or Supermarket brands?

Don't we all flake it up and pluck out the backbone anyway?

Pink Salmon / Red Salmon / Tuna? Who loves what? What about alternative fish like Pilchards in tomato sauce? Or as I call it 'Tinned Indigestion.'

As a starter, This week I tried my first 418g of Cucumber brand Wild Pacific salmon. It was VERY cheap ~£2, from B&M or might have been Home Bargain. 3Year + shelf life.

Bones and skin easily removed. Lots of meat and little juice, but as Pink Salmon, it wasn't as nice as typical tuna or any red salmon. Every inch a 'value range' proposition. I do wonder if it's an identical product as supplied under supermarket home brands? I'll buy it again as cheap protein, but it will need cheering up with Hollandaise or parsley sauce or something.

From Sainsbury / Home Bargain / B&M
same as ??? Morrisons
same as ??? From Tesco
same as ??? From ASDA
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Again, I use the fish as a bulker, with hot sauce and mayo so the cheaper the better, :mrgreen:

I save up for a nice piece of fresh/smoked salmon as a treat.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Pichards in tomato sauce make a passable fish curry by just adding onion and standard curry spices.
Pilchards in tomato sauce mashed with potato and fennel make reasonable fish cakes.
The pink salmon gets used for fishcakes too and is also used with mayo, chopped herbs, chopped peppers or canned corn etc as a filler for baked spuds or with a salad.

As always - if buying a new brand it does need to be tested. We look for John Wests at Sainsbury's but also buy when on offer as far as possible. (Getting harder)
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Do you know the difference between Pilchards and Sardines?

What the seller decides to call them :lol: https://www.cornishsardines.org.uk/sardines/
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:05 pm Do you know the difference between Pilchards and Sardines?

What the seller decides to call them :lol: https://www.cornishsardines.org.uk/sardines/
I thought that both were herrings of different sizes but the man on the internet disagrees.

Fish types are complex

There are only three types of fish. Fish I like to eat, fish I don't like to eat and fish I haven't tried yet :)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:11 pm
I thought that both were herrings of different sizes but the man on the internet disagrees.
So did I until recently, TV program about the Cornish fishing industry put me right
There are only three types of fish. Fish I like to eat, fish I don't like to eat and fish I haven't tried yet :)
That goes for me with most foodstuffs ;)

I'm quite fond of Tesco's almost SPAM (because the real stuff is double plus uncheap)
Pilchards/Sardines in oil or there is one brand in tomato that I do like..... I can't remember the name but I recognise the can :oops:
Tuna in brine gets mixed with mayo anyway, so it doesn't matter if its already a bit mush
Corned dog...... Some brands are good, others are better but I don't think I've found any uneatable as yet
My favourite 'Franks are Wikingr or something like that ('canned' in big jars) but we haven't had any of those for a while, they seemed to disappear from our local shops early in LD 1 and we've depleted them from stores.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:29 pm My favourite 'Franks are Wikingr or something like that ('canned' in big jars) but we haven't had any of those for a while, they seemed to disappear from our local shops early in LD 1 and we've depleted them from stores.
I have a few of the Huge Wikinger Bockwurst 1080g jars. Unsure how expired they are without checking: 2018 probably, but I paid £1 per jar. They still LOOK the same and the jars haven't popped. 800g of MRM sausage per jar for a quid!
I still see the small jars sometimes in B&M, an Asda but much dearer.

ASDA have them on Rollback at £2 at the moment. A great price for a protein stash. Just don't ask what's in them.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/hot- ... 0000803736

Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

Corn Beef every time :)
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

bacon grill,spam,tuna,lunchon meat,tinned hot dog sausages,fry bentos pies and meat balls,wrestlers tinned burgers in gravy,corned dog but the one thing iv noticed nobody mentioned or maybe its just me that likes them are jars of cockles and muscles,always have at least half dozen of each in at anyone time
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Nah. I grew up near the sea but never really took to eating shellfish (except lobster and crab) Now there's a thought. Maybe I should lay in a couple of tins of crab?