From high technology to low technology

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Vitamin c

From high technology to low technology

Post by Vitamin c »

My hoover died just after Xmas and I wanted a replacement that was green, cheap,and worked well .
I settled for a Bissell carpet sweeper £28 from argos uses no power , cheap and I'm pleased to say works very well only fault is it don't do corners and edges well buts a few minutes with a dustpan and brush.

As Low technology is the way forward do you have any ideas for low technology products for a greener little or no electric world.

Fill er up jacko...
Yorkshire Andy

Re: From high technology to low technology

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

I got one of those last year, I still hoover from time to time to get deeper into the carpet, especially at the moment as the cat is moulting :x .I too find it very useful and it helps keep the electric bill down. I no longer have a tumble drier, I use a freestanding wooden towel rail in front of the wood stove when I can't get laundry dry on the line or to finish airing things off. works for me. I boil a kettle on top of the stove and cook what I can on it.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

I wonder how many ladies could dump there hairdryer or how many gents would admit to using one.
Fill er up jacko...
jansman

Post by jansman »

One of the most obvious low tech devices ( to me) is an open fire , or stove(s) such as my own. A neighbour of mine, a young chap , has a ‘smart home’. For anyone unfamiliar with this recent fad, everything in the house is controlled by mobile phone and internet. My neighbours house is bang up to the minute, technology-wise. However,his fuel bills, like everyone else, have gone through the roof.

We were talking out on the front a few days ago , as I was unloading logs from my motor. He told me that he could see my ‘huge’ log piles from his back bedroom, and it set him thinking, and has someone coming around to open up his fireplace. From Smart House , back to Victorian heating. Hi tech to low tech.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
bobble

Post by bobble »

Talking of low tech stuff, there's a programme coming on Ch 4 on Tuesday 22nd March called 'The Simple Life'. Looks like modern families have to live like the Amish for a while.
Yeah, i know, probly going to be loads of crying and tantrums because "its too much hard work" but you never know, might be some useful tips!😃
jansman

Post by jansman »

bobble wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:39 pm Talking of low tech stuff, there's a programme coming on Ch 4 on Tuesday 22nd March called 'The Simple Life'. Looks like modern families have to live like the Amish for a while.
Yeah, i know, probly going to be loads of crying and tantrums because "its too much hard work" but you never know, might be some useful tips!😃
We’ll look out for that, thank you.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
British Red

Post by British Red »

I often think that the kitchen that the kitchen is an untapped well of cheap, low tech, off grid items (especially if you know where to look second hand)

There are some fantastic bargains out there, from hand cranked mincers and bacon slicers to "mouli" blenders, burger presses and more

ImageMincing venison by English Countrylife, on Flickr
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

jansman wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:34 pm We were talking out on the front a few days ago , as I was unloading logs from my motor. He told me that he could see my ‘huge’ log piles from his back bedroom, and it set him thinking, and has someone coming around to open up his fireplace.
Quietly converting people one by one :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

I have very fond memories of my Mum's hand mincer so when she was throwing it out I asked for it. I also asked for my Father in Law's hand drill when cleaning out his garage and got laughed at by brother in law. We have electric drills and battery powered drills in the garage but this would do the job in an emergency situation if there was no power, I also managed to get his hand saw as his is much better than mine. I am trying to gather back ups for our power tools, so we have an electric chainsaw which I find lighter and easier to use than the petrol one, but gives us two options. I also tend to mix cakes and other bakery items by hand, rather than using a hand mixer and have old fashioned rotary whisks rather than electric ones. I have also been looking at the wonder bags but might consider making a straw box thermal cooker instead.
Growing old disgracefully!