From high technology to low technology

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Arzosah

Re: From high technology to low technology

Post by Arzosah »

I could do it if I had to, but I wouldn't *try* to - simply because at my age, with my energy levels, and living alone, it would take everything I had, and more. My present lifestyle would take a complete nosedive.

I grew up without any form of tech at all, of course. It takes more effort than you think. I'm in danger of writing a book, sorry, will stop there :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

I take from technology that which is useful to me. I use cash most of the time. Each week my wife draws a lump out, and we fill our respective wallets. Bank closures mean that our “pay upon receipt of bill” is now very difficult. So, our utilities are paid via apps each month ( I send a reading after an email prompt) they tell me how much, I pay. Simple. Same with my credit card. I have fought it if I am honest, but it is working well. For now anyway!

Aside from the above, and using my tablet to shop on eBay, and visit this site, and a couple of fishing forums, that’s it.

Now my brother lives in the middle of nowhere, in a lovely double wheelbase Romany van ( think Appleby Horsefair Bling) totally off grid. He is wind and solar powered with some bottled gas and diesel heating too. He is totally wired up for the internet though! Without this, he could not, he says, live as he does without his internet and still function in the modern world. He has a deal with Vodaphone , who he has been with for thirty years, and gets mega connection, YouTube, the lot.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

I'm another one who withdraws his monthly spend in cash and leaves the rest to pay the bills.

Constantly being asked by the Bank teller for an email addy and do I want to do Internet banking. My reply of "doing yourself out of a job" goes above her head.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

pseudonym wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:56 pm I'm another one who withdraws his monthly spend in cash and leaves the rest to pay the bills.

Constantly being asked by the Bank teller for an email addy and do I want to do Internet banking. My reply of "doing yourself out of a job" goes above her head.
They don’t get it do they? :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

DH has a memory quirk & dyslexia combination that means he finds any online activity more complex that YouTube incredibly taxing. I do ALL the online shopping, government interactions, bills etc.
It is very clear that being unable to handle online applications, accounts etc is becoming a severe handicap where it was OK a few years ago.
I recently tried to find a new savings account & am trying to find one that has the option to be managed in branch. Telephone/online banking involves remembering passwords & using on-screen forms which is where the problem lies. It is beginning to look as if the only option will be a credit union as no one wants to offer this service any more.
Being off line is fine until you are left out of society against your will because you are the only person not online.
jansman

Post by jansman »

GillyBee wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:30 pm DH has a memory quirk & dyslexia combination that means he finds any online activity more complex that YouTube incredibly taxing. I do ALL the online shopping, government interactions, bills etc.
It is very clear that being unable to handle online applications, accounts etc is becoming a severe handicap where it was OK a few years ago.
I recently tried to find a new savings account & am trying to find one that has the option to be managed in branch. Telephone/online banking involves remembering passwords & using on-screen forms which is where the problem lies. It is beginning to look as if the only option will be a credit union as no one wants to offer this service any more.
Being off line is fine until you are left out of society against your will because you are the only person not online.
My mum ( in her 80’s ) has embraced her iPad- to a degree. She is able to deal with online banking etc. My late dad, bless him, also suffered from Dyslexia. My mum always said she was glad he went first, as she worried how he would cope.

I struggle with the IT at work. I was employed as a butcher, but I am expected to be like Bill Gates! My co workers are half my age, and have been brought up with it…

Robert Frost.

Me.
Ara

Post by Ara »

Some of us still use cheques although we are a dying breed and I admit I only use a handful a year. My grown up sons have never used them. I still use cash and was surprised recently in a greengrocers near my sons when the cashier said to the customer ahead of me "Oh we don't take card payment".
Although I did some computer programming xxxxx years ago, technology has more or less passed me by and I refuse to bank online even though telephone banking is a struggle at times. The nearest branch is 70 miles away but I can use the local post office for simple transactions.
Sometimes, however, technology beats us all and even my son, brought up with it, was unable to change the ring tone on my phone.
Every so often I remind people to read E.M. Forster's story: The Machine Stops, but it falls on deaf ears.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

I know I started this discussion high tec to low tec but some things you can't uninvent I would struggle now without the Internet, my mobile phone it's became a large part of my life but their are many modern things that I will have to learn to live without for obvious energy saving reasons .
Food mixers / blenders
Sandwich toasters
Door bell with battery
Ever bigger flat screen TV
Electric carving knife
For many soon a oven
Electric / battery clock
All sorts of different lamps and lights going back too one main light in centre of ceiling.
The list can go on and on .

But what modern technology could you not get buy without . . .?
Fill er up jacko...
jansman

Post by jansman »

Don’t know if it’s classed as modern; my chainsaws.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

jansman wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:28 am Don’t know if it’s classed as modern; my chainsaws.
Wow yes
Bit of a difference between chopping and processing a tree and mixing you own cake mix .
Fill er up jacko...